New MS661 or 395xp, what do I pick?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the 661 was basically going to be the same saw but it seems like people think that 395 is in a bigger class. Given how much everybody seemed to favor of the 395 it really helps make it any easier decision.

I just found a dealer about an hour away that has one. $1320 and tax with 36" bar. That's probably going to be the ticket.

I saw those ones on eBay but after tax and shipping they're only about $50 cheaper and you have no warranty.

This in itself should speak volumes for the 395
Maybe but it seems that Husqvarna has not been able to produce these saws do to coronavirus for quite some time now. Most people have been telling me that they have been back-ordered for months. It sounds like people are expecting to see shipments mid-march.

The 395XP is the replacement for a 100cc saw, and is a little bit longer crank from being there. A 661 replaced a 91cc saw, and one that over time gained weight and wasn’t very impressive for what it was. A 2100 Husqvarna on the other hand...

a A 395 pulls hard, and flat out gets after it once it lugs in ways its contemporaries don’t. If you’re looking to run a 42” bar, there’s no question here. The 395 is the only option. You put a 32 inch bar on these saws and I would bet they would be a dead heat, but as bars get longer the MS 661 becomes less impressive.

661 seems a little lighter, makes good power, but in big wood doesn’t matter what size bar I’d rather run my 395. If you are looking for something you can wheel around all day, maybe the 661 is what you want. If you want to bust out the big saw and get the big wood chewed up the 395 is where it’s at. I didn’t know 4 cc’s could do that but.

I’m a stihl guy through and through, but go with the 395. I use a ported 395 and ported 3120 for milling. The only 2 huskies I own. The 395 keeps up with the 3120 in reality With a 36” bar. Using a 50”, the 3120 shows off it’s bigger muscles.

The front chain adjuster if quite annoying. The outboard clutch is even more annoying.

The outboard clutch allows the heat to dissipate externally and not be put back into the saw. Nod to the 395. Also, a new oem 395 P&C is stall available for around $125. You can buy a spare or 2 and shelf them.

Having a 394, and a 661 I prefer the 661.
using both with a 36" bar I used to believe the 394 had more torque, but that has been proven to be wrong after the 661 has broken in.
The 394 is a boat anchor and not comfortable to run after a few hours....
the 661 I can run day in day out & still love it.
394 does have a better oiler for sure...

Just my 2c worth, but I've recently dropped, and ringed up a huge, 80 year old Pine here in New Zealand, using my 661 with a 42 inch bar.
The saw has the power to do it, but after a few hours I stripped it down to clean bar grooves, saw etc and for a really good sharpen, and noticed the clutch has been pretty hot, discoloring and slightly burning the plastic around the clutch.
I was every now and then using an oil can for "extra" lube on the chain, and the chains I keep sharp....so was shocked to see how hot the clutch had been. I normally run a 36 inch bar at biggest on the 661, so realized the 42 would need some extra lube and care. The 661 however pulled it easily, and had really good power, felt no different power wise to the 36 inch bar.
But, I won't do it again. Here the 661 costs close to $3000 and I really look after it. I too feel the Husky may be the better option. From now on 36 inches will be the biggest my saw runs.
Best of luck with your choice.

Just my 2c worth, but I've recently dropped, and ringed up a huge, 80 year old Pine here in New Zealand, using my 661 with a 42 inch bar.
The saw has the power to do it, but after a few hours I stripped it down to clean bar grooves, saw etc and for a really good sharpen, and noticed the clutch has been pretty hot, discoloring and slightly burning the plastic around the clutch.
I was every now and then using an oil can for "extra" lube on the chain, and the chains I keep sharp....so was shocked to see how hot the clutch had been. I normally run a 36 inch bar at biggest on the 661, so realized the 42 would need some extra lube and care. The 661 however pulled it easily, and had really good power, felt no different power wise to the 36 inch bar.
But, I won't do it again. Here the 661 costs close to $3000 and I really look after it. I too feel the Husky may be the better option. From now on 36 inches will be the biggest my saw runs.
Best of luck with your choice.
I may be wrong, but I thought there was a high output oiler available for the 661. May be advantageous to look into one.

I have gotten great pricing numbers from Ashokan Turf and Timber. The owner, Bob is a great guy and a member here. HL Supply has a 20% off sale a few times year, and $910 with no bar and chain was the shipped price in November. Not sure what the full price is, but if you don't need it right this minute, waiting for the 20% off sale would be worth it.
This^^^ I bought mine from Bob little over $1100 with a 36 inch Oregon bar and chain . Fall of 2019 E21EABD9-EE19-4A7A-B4B4-CB64DC4873B4.jpeg

Didn’t realize there was shortage of 395s

Me either, was just looking at a new one few weeks ago, thinking about how much hasn't changed since I got my 394 years ago. Well better air filter set up, but I guess I could change that sometime in mine.

I would go big! 3120xp from thechainsawguy on here for the same money as you are talking.

yep, that’s what I did.

Initially anyway, I did later end up with Two 395XP’s

The 3120XP is a Beast of a saw, and Dave is an Excellent seller, neither have disappointed me. I would recommend or buy again from Dave without any Hesitation

Hi, I’m Doug, and I have a Problem,

Well actually, Two Problems,
My Garage isn’t BIG Enough, and
My BUDGET isn’t BIG Enough

Doug

Latest posts

Back