Mt St Helen salvage logging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mt St Helens Logging

I grew up in Longview, 30 miles away, and still own a home in Castle Rock. Most of the good pictures i have are down in Washington there in boxes. I on the other hand am here, West of Juneau Alaska, so I would love it if you guys posted some of your pics from back then. What I really love are the Camp Baker and 12 Road pics from BEFORE the eruption, since that's what i remember as a kid. Weyerhaeuser used to put a monster 3-log load on an off-highway truck (usually a new truck), and run it through the Morton Loggers Jubilee Parade every year. And I mean big loads! in those days in the late 70's they could run off-highway from the Toutle, up the Green River , and jump the ridge down into Morton, barely touching any blacktop.

I have alot of pre-eruption Weyerhauser logging pics, but all down south. The timber was all old-growth- fir mostly, and 12' to 14' butt cuts were common.

And the big slackline Washingtons and Skagits were everywhere on those ridgelines, Shovels were mostly Bucyrus-Erie and Link-Belt line machines. Post what you have, I would love to see em'!!

Me too. That was the same day I'd discovered masturbation. Then the sky went dark and I thought I'd caused the end of the world.

Great pics Alaskanlogger!

My family used to go on camping trips up to Spirit Lake every summer... not no mo' after that day.

My Uncle was supposed to be drivin' truck out of Cougar or Camp12 around the time of the eruption. I don't recall why he wasn't up there... but glad he wasn't.

Gary

Cool pictures AlaskanLogger! I'm 45 minutes down south from Castle Rock. If you make it back down to SW Washington sometime I would like to see your box of pictures, or help get them scanned in?

I grew up in Longview, 30 miles away, and still own a home in Castle Rock. Most of the good pictures i have are down in Washington there in boxes. I on the other hand am here, West of Juneau Alaska, so I would love it if you guys posted some of your pics from back then. What I really love are the Camp Baker and 12 Road pics from BEFORE the eruption, since that's what i remember as a kid. Weyerhaeuser used to put a monster 3-log load on an off-highway truck (usually a new truck), and run it through the Morton Loggers Jubilee Parade every year. And I mean big loads! in those days in the late 70's they could run off-highway from the Toutle, up the Green River , and jump the ridge down into Morton, barely touching any blacktop.

I have alot of pre-eruption Weyerhauser logging pics, but all down south. The timber was all old-growth- fir mostly, and 12' to 14' butt cuts were common.

And the big slackline Washingtons and Skagits were everywhere on those ridgelines, Shovels were mostly Bucyrus-Erie and Link-Belt line machines. Post what you have, I would love to see em'!!

Yup Jim had some great pictures and I got to catch up with him for lunch a few months ago when he was in town visiting family. He had alot of great stories of Weyco in the post eruption days as he was working as an engineer on getting the road system back online. He has a bunch more pictures he hasn't posted yet, hopefully he will soon.

Jeremy , it looks like you found this site. Lots of pictures.
http://public.fotki.com/jwb592002/state_of_washington/mt-st-helens-from-m/

Mt St Helens Logging

I actually build scale models of the pre-eruption equipment as well. The Weyco alumni from those days have an annual picnic in Castle Rock, I would love to go one of these days. I'll bet there are some pics among those boys!

That would be cool, lots of good stories and pics! Do you sell your models? Any pics?

A friend of mine that works for company that maintains roads in the St Helens Tree Farm told me that Weyco kicked out all the contract loggers out for the last month. He had to run so I didn't get any more info out of him. Anyone else in the area hear that rumour?

Latest posts

Back