Mt St Helen salvage logging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was there we were hauling treelength on off highways into the Mineral yard. Those loads hung out behind and if you met one on a corner you better have a spur to get into or the sweep would wipe you out. Sometimes there would be tops broke out laying in the road. You didn't even want to meet a truck in the morning.

Sure brings back memories of that day. I was working swingshift for weyerhaeuser and was still in bed, but not asleep. I felt the house give a little shake and the windows rattle ever so slightly. About 15 min later my wife was screaming that the mountain had blown, it is on tv.
Oh my the pics they were showing.
I live about 80 crow miles to the nw of the mountain. We didn't get any ash on the first eruption, but a few days later we did with a gentle east wind. Sure glad it went east the first time. Yakima sure got dumped on though.
I baled some hay that year, sure went through mowing blades. Was tough on cows teeth too.

Sure brings back memories of that day. I was working swingshift for weyerhaeuser and was still in bed, but not asleep. I felt the house give a little shake and the windows rattle ever so slightly. About 15 min later my wife was screaming that the mountain had blown, it is on tv.
Oh my the pics they were showing.
I live about 80 crow miles to the nw of the mountain. We didn't get any ash on the first eruption, but a few days later we did with a gentle east wind. Sure glad it went east the first time. Yakima sure got dumped on though.
I baled some hay that year, sure went through mowing blades. Was tough on cows teeth too.

I believe I've got a coffee can of the Yakima ash floating around here somewhere. :dizzy: Went up there to help the girlfriend's folks clean up.
Couple of years later became the Ole Ball & Chain. :dunno:

I remember one faller saying how they would use the saws exhaust to blow away the ash before making a cut. He was also a Stihl man didn't care for the exta chain speed of the husky's because of his reaction time.

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/Images/may18_images.html

http://www.google.com/search?source...BR_enUS209US233&q=Mt+St+Helen+salvage+logging

I was 2 when it blew... But I remember going outside and thinking the ash was snow... We had an inch or two... And that's in NW Montana!

I was 7 years old when it blew. I was living on whidbey island at oak harbor. I remember when it blew, we thought the navy was shooting cannons off or something like that. There was very little ash are way. Two weeks after it blew, we drove down to the site. I do remeber it was still raining ash and piles of ash everywhere!

Last edited:
Mt St Helens Logging

There are lots of pics on the web and available of the destruction up there. My dad worked for Weyerhaeuser up there (still does) so I have all kind of old pics (mostly in boxes) of all the logging equipment and camps, both before and after.

Note in those photos on the other site, that they are wearing respirators around their--necks. I moved here 4 years after, and heard the horror stories of trying to work with heavy duty respirators on. It was darned if you do and darned if you don't. They were unable to move very fast because they couldn't breathe hard with a respirator on.

I toyed with the idea of buying a house then. You had to be careful because many houses still had ash on the roofs that had not been cleaned off. The volcano was still puffing ash once in a while too.

Here's some photos from last year. The last two were of an area that had been logged and replanted.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back