MTD chainsaw pull start Really i shake my head sometimes why make it like this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledrat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy folks i had this saw for along time tried to get parts for it no luck!

Just Look at this recoil set up on this MTD chainsaw 1625a
i got it at a yard sale a few summers back..
The owner said he used it once and he broke the pullstart the first day so anyways it sat.,,
So when i got it home i took it apart all i can say What a piece of junk!
Why would they design one recoil to engage another recoil part? ???
having basically two recoils with springs and moving parts in the saw pullstart!,, Just more to mess up in my opinnion!
anyways have peak..
the rope rewind pulley is the piece that is broken,,,the other part seems to be fine!
I wonder what the engineer who designed this was thinking or better yet smoking???????

ice2013093_zpse198680a.jpg

ice2013092_zpsd77c96fa.jpg

ice2013091_zpsfefcee69.jpg

ice2013090_zps4521613d.jpg

ice2013087_zps2377c060.jpg

ice2013086_zps6c4f8fc4.jpg

ice2013089_zps4a1536ec.jpg

This the piece i cant find anywhere!

Last edited:
And one other thing the more i dabble with the newer saws
the more i like the old stuff by far!!
When a new saw is built like JUNK or all plastic what a joke or some hair brained design ,,,,
i guess they are made to be thrown away after a few logs??
Or not even a season of cutting? IN TO DUMP?
throw away stuff nowadaYs!

Last edited:
It appears to be an "easy start" style of starter. Never saw one of that brand, but often what happens is the owner does not understand how it works and goes gorilla on it.

And my 1998 plastic Poulan still works great. I just replaced an A/V spring - one of the metal parts on it.....

Glad you like the plastic not me!! lol
No thanks...but thanks for letting me know what it is,,

however the area where it broke is very poor in design ,,if it was metal it would have taken the normal shock of a man just pulling over the saw to start it
or better yet going ape on it if he decided,. OR LAST SAY 50 years?> nope not gonna happen with plastic or your poulan lol lol not to be desrespectful about your poulan or anything ,,,im sure it has served you well ..

Ya ok a Easy start system on 34 cc??
ya i guess so also the rope looks to be about as strong as 8lb mono fishing line good for perch maybe a few hammer handles/ small pike..,,.,..
the rope reminds me of a childs toy chainsaw you pull the string and it makes noises lol
Sorry folks very disapointed in MTD to put out a saw of this design
Dont they test things anymore before putting them out on the market before sellin it to the public and ripping them off????

Last edited:
wow! weird..may be you can adapt a more conventional starter on that thing from something else. I never heard of an mtd saw anyway, is it a poulan clone or what?

gOOD QUESTION who MADE WHO???

[video=youtube;IuEHzQlmeW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuEHzQlmeW0[/video]

Dont they test things anymore before putting them out on the market before sellin it to the public and ripping them off????

Have you seen any of MTD's products in the last 20 years?

right on thank you thats the one
but i dont need the whole thing
i only need the one pulley which the rope wraps around..

And why would i as customer say used the saw not even once and breaks have to have to go on forum and hunt for parts why?????

No i have not seen much in the chainsaw stuff
but what i seen so far and in the lawn mower stuff they suck too..

Again WILL THEY LAST 50 YEARS??? no i dont think so

When you can go to a MTD 50 years from now clean the carb and pull it over and it runs like the day it was made then lets talk
:)
As for running a old saw So far yes i like the OLD STUFF ,,
BETTER,,

Last edited:
I really like old stuff too, but 50 years ain't old. 50 years from now you won't be able to get fuel for any saw, so then they'll be using the human powered saws I'm looking for now. And I'll be long dead.

That saw is actually a cheapend up version of of a RedMax design license built be Jenn Feng in Taiwan. It's actually a strato P&C but I believe they just blocked off the strato ports on the later saws to save money. It still is a very light saw with a two piece alloy case and decent performance. I have a earlier McCulloch branded one that has the full strato air valve and it's a very nice saw. It has an easy pull starter, although I don't know if the pieces are the same as it has never had any issues.

I hope you get it running. The mufflers are quite restrictive and they respond well to muffler mods. You may find it runs pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by sledrat View Post

Have you seen any of MTD's products in the last 20 years?

After working for "Mostly Torn Down" for 6 years, I can say they are not worried about a 20 year lifespan.
People dont buy new products as often if they last 20 years, and if you OWN almost all the competition you get repeat buyers!
After MTD buys a brand they ride on its repetition, then cheapen the product to make a bigger profit. examples, Cub Cadet, Troy built, White, ryobi, toro, etc

Well thanks for your help and positive feed back on this saw
and ur better outlook on it than i have,,,
Just really disapointed on the design of the starter hub,,
enough of the broken record about it..,,,
I guess i shouldnt judge it by just that..
but when i can go a to a old saw that has the crap beat out of it and put fuel in it and maybe a carb Kit and it runs well first pull .
Its hard for me to see a BRAND NEW SAW SIT THere cause of something that should be built properly so if breaks down while cutting you could fix it easily// Or better yet at least last one pull start?? lol
ok thanks again for your help...

Latest posts

Back