Muffler screen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goof008

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just got back from the dealer and they don't have a spark screen for my saw. Can anyone tell me where to find screen that can be cut to shape. I want to mod the muffler on my other saw too, so will need more of it anyway.

any help is appreciated

JC

Lakeside came up with an ingenious idea, go buy a kitchen strainer and cut the screen to fit you're saw.
Andy

To the grocery store

I think I'll be heading and grabbing a strainer from the grocery store tonight. I need to pieces of screen, on for a MS290 and the other for an Echo CS345. THe stihl has a moded muffler, the Echo will have one...but I just wanted to cut my own to fit.

Thanks for the help

this is mine

goof008 said:
I think I'll be heading and grabbing a strainer from the grocery store tonight. I need to pieces of screen, on for a MS290 and the other for an Echo CS345. THe stihl has a moded muffler, the Echo will have one...but I just wanted to cut my own to fit.

Thanks for the help
this is what I did

Screen

Why exactly do you need a screen??? Not being a wisea55 here, but I don't have one on mine... :popcorn:

I was going to go to buy a strainer too but someone here tipped me off to McMaster. I buy stuff from them all the time just didn't know they sold "wire cloth". They have a ton of different wire thicknessed and meshes. If I recall correctly I believe most saws have a mesh that has 40% open area.

ciscoguy01 said:
Why exactly do you need a screen??? Not being a wisea55 here, but I don't have one on mine... :popcorn:
to keep stuff from being sucked back into your engine through the exhaust.
-Ralph

ASEMASTER,

How noticable of an increase did it make on that saw? Do you know the difference between the 345 and the 346. As to why am I looking for a screen, becase the saw sits in my trailer which has sawdust in it while I am going to and from the woods. I think it's better safe than sorry.

difference

goof008 said:
ASEMASTER,

How noticable of an increase did it make on that saw? Do you know the difference between the 345 and the 346. As to why am I looking for a screen, becase the saw sits in my trailer which has sawdust in it while I am going to and from the woods. I think it's better safe than sorry.
THIS MOD MADE THE SAW FUN TO USE. I think the difference is in the style of the back handle the rest is the same.

ciscoguy01 said:

How about... 'cos it can cost you a $1000 bucks if you get caught without on our Western forest service land, and $$$Millions if you actually cause a fire?

I like them because they do keep the crap out of your muffler/cylinder while you are whizzing down the freeway at 70 (sure..) and all that junk in the pickup bed is swirling around your saws.

A correctly designed filter has zero impact on the saw performance.

goof008 said:

Thanks for the help

I really don't think it will stand up to the heat, there are different
types of stainless steel 300, 400 series I think those little strainers
will burn up in short order. the screens in the mufflers are some
tough stuff

I modded my Husky 55 and 359 with the strainer method....it seems to be holding up fine. It was a little tricky brazing it on with my washers as my fist try did melt the screen.

Scottr, what was that place you sent me the link to for all the different screens sold in small sheets? New puter and dont have that link anymore.

What size (open area %) whould i use? I went to McMasters and 40% looked a bit too open to keep saw dust/shavings out.

Link

Cut4fun said:
Scottr, what was that place you sent me the link to for all the different screens sold in small sheets? New puter and dont have that link anymore.
Hey Kevin , it was http://www.mcmaster.com/ and look up wire cloth . The brass wire cloth looks like the stuff used in my Stihl and Solo saws . If you want to go in halvsies on a 12X12 sheet I'd be interested .

Last edited:
Stihl definitely uses a steel mesh... if you can't find the right stuff just buy one for an 066 or 044 and cut it down to your size.

Back