Muffler screen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheets

Lakeside53 said:
Stihl definitely uses a steel mesh... if you can't find the right stuff just buy one for an 066 or 044 and cut it down to your size.

Andy,
Can't you purchase a little say 6"x6" piece of the mesh screen from the dealer??? :popcorn: :confused:

McMasters

I TO GET MINE FROM McMasters. 12"X12" I CANT THINK WHAT THE CORECT NAME OF IT WAS BUT ITS MADE FOR HIGH HEAT TEMPS. $60.00. THE MESH IS EITHER 50% OR 40%. WORKS GREAT.

open area

goof008 said:
What size (open area %) whould i use? I went to McMasters and 40% looked a bit too open to keep saw dust/shavings out.
Goof008 , if I remember correctly my Poulans have a 30X30 screen or maybe a 32X32 screen that has an open area of about 50% . It has about a 0.020" square opening .

Call me crazy, but the first thing I do when I get a new saw is to remove the screen and toss it in the trash. I have been doing this for years and have never had a piston that was scuffed from phantom debris being sucked into a exhaust OUTLET. I also cvary my saws in my trucks bed. Besides do you really think a coarse screen is going to do much in the way of preventing sand or abrasive dust fomr getting through? Me thinks not and IME has proved to me that screens are not needed.
Of course we dont have Forest Circus Nazis runnign rampant in my area.:rock:

Back