Mulch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCrab1027

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In early summer, I had an approximately 50-foot Pin Oak and a 15-foot Crabapple tree removed from my yard. When the workers ground out the stumps, they left me with a huge pile of wood chips that they said was an excellent mulch to use around my two new Kousa dogwoods. I had planned to mulch the dogwoods this Fall. However, a neighbor told me that I should wait at least a year before using the chips as mulch because I could do harm to the trees by mulching with (what he called) "green mulch". Pls advise.

Using `green chips` apparently draws nitrogen from the soil as the chips break down, but you only have to leave the chips for about six weeks, and then it is fine to use, or so I`ve been told.

Like TT said the decomposition does draw off some of the N from the soil. This is if there is no mulch down there now.

I have used fresh chip for mulch regularly. I have seen no problem in mature trees. I have seen problems with sawdust, I think that it is so fone that the decomposition is faster.

If you mix some soil in with the first layer of chip, you should have no proble. This being a stump grinding you should be able to find pre mixed mulch redily.

Thanks, gents: The chips have been hidden and "aging" behind my shed for about four months now so I'll feel comfortable about using them. Thanks again for your advice.

Your neighbor is right on with the term green mulch or sour mulch as I call in my wood recycling yard were we sell mulch. The mulch should be turned periodically and the a time period of four to six months should be just fine to get the nitrogen out of the mulch. The mulch should be fine to use in the next month or so.

Back