Multiflora rose???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nparch726

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, this stuff is driving me nuts, i cut it all down last year and it's back worse this year, how do I go about getting rid of it??

You also have to use the Farmer grade Roundup... none of that home despot/Blowes/Mean-rads homeowner stuff.

Do you use a brush mower?

Either way, cut it and spray the freshly cut stems with roundup. should work like a charm.

Do you know why we have such a problem with Multiflora rose?

Because the government thought it would make nice, natural fences... they didn't take into account that the stuff spreads in a CIRCLE!!! not in a line...

There's your government programs doin' right for the farmer...

Ayup. Two of the biggest pain in the butts on my land (Multiflora rose & Japanese Knotweed) were both originally championed by government conservation programs because they were aggressive and rapid growing.

Du'oh.

yup, almost impossible to kill. i like to use salt water from the oil wells we have around here, but it not always easy to find someone that owns a well. pretty sure the EPA won't send you any awards for using it either... here's why its so great though. if you put it down thick enough, it kills EVERYTHING. two years later, its like miracle grow to any seeds that blow in to the area.

Good to hear I'm not the only one in misery. To kill it with spray the only thing I've found that really works is Crossbow. As it was explained to me you have to kill the mother plant, she shoots roots out in every direction and each root is what the shoots come out of. Now if ya whack or spray one the mother senses it and is prompted to send up more shoots to replace it. With Crossbow you hit a plant on the mothers roots and it will kill anything coming from that mother along with her. Or you can cut or mow four times a year and kill it that way eventually. I guess goats do work for it but I've never tried them, I was told Angora is best. Careful with the crossbow or you'll be doing in trees also. Man I hate the Multiflora Rose. No matter what you do it will be back after a few years like a plague. The trick is killing the mother plants and I mean all of them.

Crossbow does a good job on them, I use it and burn them back then hit the base root area with pramitol, nothing will grow back in that area for a couple of years. Mojave will do the same thing, it's a ground sterilant as well.

Good to hear I'm not the only one in misery. To kill it with spray the only thing I've found that really works is Crossbow. As it was explained to me you have to kill the mother plant, she shoots roots out in every direction and each root is what the shoots come out of. Now if ya whack or spray one the mother senses it and is prompted to send up more shoots to replace it. With Crossbow you hit a plant on the mothers roots and it will kill anything coming from that mother along with her. Or you can cut or mow four times a year and kill it that way eventually. I guess goats do work for it but I've never tried them, I was told Angora is best. Careful with the crossbow or you'll be doing in trees also. Man I hate the Multiflora Rose. No matter what you do it will be back after a few years like a plague. The trick is killing the mother plants and I mean all of them.

I should have also said, the mother is the older bigger plants that have flowers and berries. Get rid of the mothers, then ya got to wait and kill all the seeds she has dropped on the ground for I believe it is the next four years. You will also have to kill them as they come up. One mother plant will put out like millions of seeds a year. Kill em all off each and every one and you should be good until next infestation.

Crossbow, or 2,4,-D. Both are unrestricted in most states.

2,4,D is cheaper by a good margin at the chain farm stores(Family farm&home,TSC etc.) and cheaper yet at the dedicated Ag supply outfits. If you see a new shoot coming up afterwards, snip it and spritz it again. It's rare though.

Crossbow nukes it first time, but if you have desireables that have root contact with the target, you might nuke them as well.
Collateral damage if you will.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It likes lots of sunlight too. A heavy tree canopy will keep it out of a woods. Mix some diesel in with your Crossbow and do it on a hot day. You can almost hear it scream as it is being snuffed. Gives ya a great feeling inside.

Should be able to find Spike at the same place, but around here few stores stock it.

At the time Landmark was called Landmark, I'm not sure what they call them now, they had it. I don't know if they could sell it to the public, but they used it at one time when they did contracted spraying. Maybe Agrimark now I don't know.

Myself I'd go with Crossbow, I'd say its pretty hard to beat. Might cost ya some more bucks but when ya do it it stays done.

Cut off while it is growing and immediatly apply Tordon.

I always apply Tordon after cutting off brush, boxelder, locust, etc.

:agree2:

I'm not sure what the active ingredient of Crossbow is but anything with Triclopyr in it will kill it. Garlon 3a in the summer for a foliar application at about 5% and Garlon 4 in the winter at about 10% in basal oil for cut stumps will kill it every time.

A good hot fire will kick it in the nuts too!

Edit to say that I Garlon 3a is not restricted and 4 is, at least here in Illinois anyway.

Cut it down close to the ground then spray the area with Round Up or Clearout then cover it with heavy black plastic and forget about it for a couple of months. It will go away.

if you can find it, use some gramoxone super, made by monsanto..
dont read the label saying byproduct of agent orange.. kills in twenty minutes and sterilizes ground for five years..dont get it on ya....:rock:

Or you can cut or mow four times a year and kill it that way eventually. I guess goats do work for it but I've never tried them, I was told Angora is best.

Actually, I would use a meat breed. Smaller bags to avoid getting torn up on thorns, and no fiber to get tangled and knotted. Let them browse it hard, then come back and shred/cut the stalks several times.

Of course goats introduce their own challenges, including expensive fencing.

Latest posts

Back