Multimeter use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I will post this here but if the mods think it should be moved feel free to do so.

I have always struggled with diagnosing any and all electrical issues.
First, I will tell you that the only meter I have is the cheap free HF one. That one failed me last summer, told me my riding tractor was overcharging the battery like 18 to 20 volts when checked by a local small engine guy with a good meter it was right at 13-14 volts. I want to buy a new better quality affordable trustworthy one though and would like to know your suggestions for that. Maybe under $100.00 mainly for use on small 12-volt systems.
Second is there a reference booklet on how to test certain common items that may fail? and what dial settings to use to accomplish that. For instance, how to test to see if a key switch is working correctly or if a coil is functioning as intended, or like last year checking the charging system. I don't want this post to get too wordy as some folks may not even read it so I will stop here.
In a nutshell I have riding mowers chainsaws Kubota farm tractor 4-wheeler etc. Sometimes I need to be able to narrow down an electrical issue so just owning a good meter is not enough I would also like some kind of guide to refer to (FOR BEGINNERS) Thanks for your advice.

Fluke offers very good multimeters at a reasonable price, gonna be over $100 dollars though. I’ve got a few Fluke 87’s which is the industry standard for electrical troubleshooting. If that’s not an option I’d look at Extech they have pretty good meters that are more affordable.
And well worth the investment.

I think the guy had a fluke as well. Thing is, I do not need all the bells and whistles as I am sure the really good ones come with. That does not mean I do not want a good one I DO but just maybe not the best of the best is what I mean. I just would never understand it well enough to use all the features I am pretty sure.

I think the guy had a fluke as well. Thing is, I do not need all the bells and whistles as I am sure the really good ones come with. That does not mean I do not want a good one I DO but just maybe not the best of the best is what I mean. I just would never understand it well enough to use all the features I am pretty sure.
If your wanting to learn the various functions of a multimeter get a manual range unit. Kinda forces you to learn what to use and where. There’s a lot of informational videos on YouTube as well. UEI makes a good inexpensive multimeter model DM505. Check out www.tequipment.net it’s less than $100 dollars and should work well for what you need.

The reason I can understand most simple electrical stuff is because of the physics courses I took. Even HS physics will let you understand most simple tests.

For meters buy the best you can afford. If you can find an old analog one they work great if in good shape but are bulky.

These work pretty good. I would be careful trying to get too cheap. I have been doing electrical and instrumentation for over 20 years this meter is simple and does a lot.

Attachments

• DABE4227-3E04-47D8-8CA6-339891781EC5.png
    DABE4227-3E04-47D8-8CA6-339891781EC5.png
    717.8 KB · Views: 2
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00KXX2OYY/What you want to do does not require lab accuracy. Flukes are nice, but expensive. I got one of the above to use in the field, it tests within 3% of the Fluke every time. Will this last as long as a Fluke? I doubt it, but then neither will I.
Oh, if you do get one of these, swap out the battery for a better one.

Extech meters are not bad. At least when I bought one for my Dad 20 years ago.

You also need to keep overload protection in mind as you'll invariably try to measure line voltage with the meter set on Ohms or try to measure voltage with the meter leads plugged into the current setup. Cheap meter like you HF have little to no input protection.

Add a good test light to your list.

Fluke is what I have and use, but it was bought for a very specific use that required high accuracy. If not for that one use, I wouldn't have spent that much. Simply not needed for what most people do, including me.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09BFNHCK8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
This is what I use for 90% of what I do. Carry one on the truck, too.

Have been using multimeters for 40 years or so. Everything is easy once you know how.
You do not need a fluke meter, for your use.

This is a very nice meter..... save $$$$ time and effort and just get this one..... rated a best value by many hrs of research did for a neighbors kit. Gave him Harbor Freight yrs ago.... gave lots of kids the free meters and showed then how to test C,D,9V,AA and the car batter for health and charging. ... you know 12.4-6V resting and 14.4V range for charging.

Have no hesitation recommending the Thsinde 18b.

Thsinde 18b Multimeter is a good meter, rated one of the best values in mkt.... $20.89
Free delivery from amazon if you spend $25 or have friend with prime
https://www.amazon.com/Ranging-Digi...sprefix=thsinde+18b+multimeter,aps,170&sr=8-1

Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter TRMS 6000 with Battery Alligator Clips Test Leads AC/DC Voltage/Account,Voltage Alert, Amp/Ohm/Volt Multi Tester/Diode​

Brand: Thsinde
4.6 out of 5 stars 1,711 ratings

| 81 answered questions

Also Ideal 61-496 multimeter is kit with a few items.... I found one for neighbor kid was looking to upgrade from harbor freight. These are the two meters I recommended. I found this one for $50 new and local shop had a nice used one for $20 at pawn shop. Cannot find the $50 and gave the kid my research paper work.

I told him to get the meter Thsinde 18b.
This was rated a best buy multimeter for some tech writers.....

Cannot even find the test paper work
You can search MultiMeter Reviews..... that is what I did.
I have 3 better meters and then a few of the Harbor Freight one
The Harbor Freight ones keep failing on the test leads.... the wires just fall out
Purchased about 20 test leads off ebay.... some to fix the harbor freight ones I put in the car(s) trunk too kits.

Second Part....
Youtube does have some nice video on using a multimeter.

Ohms Law...... V= I x R
Test wires and switches

Test coils/ignition.... typical will have two windings and you measure resistance...... cking for shorts less resistance or cking for open. Mfg service will have the resistance value for their coils listed in their service manuals

-30% $20.89$20.89

Well first off thank you to everyone who responded after i hung it up for the night. There are many links here to look at and reviews to research. I will look at / for every model suggested.
I know there are many you tube videos to search for when trying to test for a certain issue. I was just hoping there was some kind of guide that would give examples of how to test for different problems is all.
What I was looking for would have been something like this;
To test starter function, do this.
To test alternator function, do this.
To test for continuity between point a and b do this etc...

I had also looked at Kline back when I first started thinking about getting a worthwhile meter. I have to meet a friend at 8am this morning 40 miles away then when I get back home, I will go back and look through each post and do the research. So, it will be a while before I get back to this thread, but I have not forgotten all you help just need some time to re-read it all.

Regarding the cheap meters. If it has been unused for a while you need to pull the test lead jacks out and push em back in. Then twist em around a bit. The connection between the jack and the socket in the meter gets oxidation or something and needs wiping.
Also if it has a mechanical contact function selector rotate that around a few times to clean the contacts.

I do it every time with my HF meter. Usually it helps to stabilize the reading.

Keep the batteries fresh and spare internal fuses(if it has them) I’ve gotten peculiar readings with almost dead batteries but still allows the dvom to operate.

I bought this meter for the clamp-on AC/DC ammeter. Got good reviews on EEVblog I think, and has good reviews on Amazon. Been very pleased with it, the clamp on meter really helped see power flowing while I was top balancing solar power system batteries. Outside my one need for super precision, this meter would do all I need. I would upgrade the leads though.

Edit: Forgot to add the link...........

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z398YWF
Don't be afraid to spend good money on leads. Leads are to a meter what optics are to a rifle or tires are to a truck.

Back