Multiple wall 4 failures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my limited level of understanding it is more accurate to recognise that the formation of kino channels is often a function of traumatised parenchyma, and not derived from the vascular cambium. This (in younger trees) is often produced from the meristematic activity of the inner phloem parenchyma..this also involves the parenchyma rays.

Sean,

I am more often than not wrong but I suspect that it depends on the stimulus of the wound. Impact wounds are understandably far more likely to develop kino bands from axial parenchyma but I am not sure that this is so for insect induced wounds and I am totally unsure of fire induced wounds because I seldom get to play with them.

In any case it is certainly an abrupt wall. In spite of this there are fungi that just seem to walk through.

I am at Southbank this week, perhaps we can catch up :cheers:

I definately seem to build my limited understanding of tree biology on all the mistaken positions I have taken in the past..:)

I would love to catch up, but I'm only up near Brissy on Wednesday (in what used to be beautiful Calamvale :cry:)

I agree the origin of the dysfunction is very important, I'll see if I can track anything down from Tas Forestry re fire injury and Kino channels...vaguely remember a paper on fire intensity and circumferencial banding...not kino channels though.

I think this is an amazing shot

Allow me to speak for the other knuckle draggers here when I say, Fark this kino, where do I put my chainsaw!

This is the greatest strength of our forum IMO.

I honestly am a little confused by the differences between kino and kino bands but I know Corymbia will do his best to educate me. I may be a lawn mowing wannabe but who knows, perhaps a little wisdom may rub off.

Give me a couple of days and I will have some more intelligent questions.

:cheers:

Here is another nice shot that shows vascular association with the main stem a side branch and around and over some small branchlets, I love the vessel that does a full 360 degree loop. Tree anatomy, biology and physiology are fun!

Back