Municipal Milling in Massachusetts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OTG BOSTON

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello Millers,
I am a municipal arborist in Boston, Mass. From time to time I get asked if we turn our tree waste into lumber (the answer is currently, no).

It got me thinking;

1 If anyone has milled urban wood (street trees)

2 If anybody would be willing to travel to Boston with their mill?

On the east side of MI they have a mess with dutch elm disease and the emerald ash borer beattle. I read an article where someone had purchased a band mill and they were milling LOTS of wood out of all the dead trees and using it for community projects. Park benches, playground equipment, repairing old buildings and elderly folks homes. I think they had developed some type of fund raising from it and were using the money to keep the whole thing operating, and it was actually working. You might try looking into that and see how they got it all started.

I hate to see good usable trees just being dumped into the landfill.

johncinco said:

No way, as of right now everything is ground and trucked north to be burned as fuel in power plants.

johncinco said:

I am with you on trees not turned into lumber.

OTG BOSTON said:
Hello Millers,
I am a municipal arborist in Boston, Mass. From time to time I get asked if we turn our tree waste into lumber (the answer is currently, no).

It got me thinking;

1 If anyone has milled urban wood (street trees)

The answer is yes. Almost 95% of the trees I mill comes from Arborist. And yes you MUST have a good metal dector.

As a start I would contact woodmizer. Their website has pretty good info and they should be aable to set you up with some sawyer referrals in your area. I'd help you out but I'm probably too far away from Boston,over an hour.

Latest posts

Back