Municipality bid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stltreedr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently bid on a municipal project by the crew-hour, at their request. The results came in, and we were right in the middle, as usual, but the winning contractor had submitted two bids: one that didn't win, and one that matched the lowest bid that was submitted after the deadline.

This whole thing was smelling fishy, so I emailed the city forester and asked him what was up. He responded that the contractor who had been working on the property for the previous two years was given the opportunity to match the lowest bidder. My question to you all is: Is this a normal practice and is it ethical?

I am thankful that it wasn't a firm price bid, and I didn't waste a bunch of time looking at the work. But why even put it out for bid if you are happy with your current contractor? Why not just give them the opportunity to adjust price for cost of living? I wasn't the lowest bidder anyway, but if I was, I believe I would be in attendance at the next city council meeting.

This is done, in very rare cases though, it not fitting your example.

The only time I have seen it done is for product matching.

Two examples:

1. A hardscape supplier has been providing pavers for a municipality. They were given the right to match the low bid since their material was used throughout the township and the township wanted the color and style to blend.

2. A borough used all ford trucks. A chevy dealer won the current bid for vehicles. The ford dealer was given the right to match so the mechanics would remain familiar with all vehicles and part inventory would be minimized with all the same model truck.

I really don't see how it would apply in your case. The only thing I can think of is logistics. But that would be a stretch.

You could try the state attorney general's office to see if they will look into it and it will cost you nothing out of pocket. But the word will get back to the municipality (if you care about that).

I'd get on that right away. I have seen it happen all over, and I think it is wrong. Who cares what the city thinks, they need to do things right and be honest. That's about as crooked as it gets.:msp_mad:

My question is why bother . #####ing and causing problems won't get you any work with that municipality , and you've lost the bid , be gracious and say maybe next time , no way will you get an ounce of that work if you cause trouble , take it as a lesson learned

You might get the most positive results from going into the city administrator, and voicing your concerns quietly, and reminding him (her) that you are available should things not work out.

I've had similar happen to me. Stinks.

And I didn't handle it correctly.

My question is why bother . #####ing and causing problems won't get you any work with that municipality , and you've lost the bid , be gracious and say maybe next time , no way will you get an ounce of that work if you cause trouble , take it as a lesson learned

I pretty much feel the same way. I didn't win it anyway so why cause trouble. I don't think its right, and hurts everyone in the long run, but I dont want to be that guy who whines about it to the city.

I pretty much feel the same way. I didn't win it anyway so why cause trouble. I don't think its right, and hurts everyone in the long run, but I dont want to be that guy who whines about it to the city.

Scummy #### happens more often then not , you were just unlucky enough to witness it .

Attend a city council meeting and voice your opinion. Once it's public knowledge and the council members hear about it it's harder to get away with and keep hush. I see it all the time and our entire county just got hit by the FBI for corruption. I agree its not fair but I think it's common. And I think more often than not the council members don't know what city officials do behind scenes because they only meet once or twice a month. Don't know if this helps but that's my experience.

We don't do residential so I know what you are saying.
I doubt some secret's will be exposed,
All I should say is that tree's are a liability,
Trees grow in the ground, There is no free land in so-cal,
There are no free trees in so-cal!
Jeff :msp_smile:

Purchasing and procurement of services are both items covered in the City's Municipal Code. These are the rules that they are supposed to use. Most cities' municipal codes are online. If not online you can probably go to the City Clerk's office to get a copy of it. Read through it and see if there are provisions for what was done. Many times a manager will circumvent the rules to help a buddy or something. That doesn't mean that the whole city knows what is going on. If there was wrongdoing take it to the city manager. They are the ones in charge of the day to day operations of the city. If you don't get any satisfaction there then go to the Council. If you have your ducks in a row and can point to the specific rules that were broken then they will take you a lot more seriously.

I dared to criticize our former land developer / mayor's recent forays into arboricultural stupidity in a biting letter-to-the-editor several months ago. His Lordship thence actually blacklisted my company from being contacted to bid on treework for the Town. (Head of Public Works was warned not to contact me). And it's all good, because the mayor/weasel is not going to run again in next year's municipal elections, and it has been a crazy busy summer anyway.

Not so sure the city or municipality would have the rules governing the process, probably the state. Contact the AGs office to ask about the process, not in a complaining way but a wondering kind of a way. As far as whining about the bid process to the town, you can if you want and if you submit the winning bid on a future project, even if they think of you as a whiner, they can't disregard your bid. If they do reject your legitimate bid, they have to answer as to why. Often times municipalities will allow the current contractor to have an opportunity to continue because they know the process and the town would be taking a chance on a new contractor, possibly a big chance if they turn out to be lowballing hacks. It also keeps the curent contractor honest. They currently have the bid but a lower bid was submitted and the current contractor can still match the price?? Score for the town!

I dared to criticize our former land developer / mayor's recent forays into arboricultural stupidity in a biting letter-to-the-editor several months ago. His Lordship thence actually blacklisted my company from being contacted to bid on treework for the Town. (Head of Public Works was warned not to contact me). And it's all good, because the mayor/weasel is not going to run again in next year's municipal elections, and it has been a crazy busy summer anyway.

Yeah...... and Dave its the exact same Co. he is talking about that you criticized! Different shade of green maybe!!!!:msp_w00t:

Latest posts

Back