I hate low ballers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well welcome to 2012. Like I said, I don't blame you for trying but around here someone would have scarfed that up for $175, been done in a half hour and been eating steak that night. As I'm sure someone was in your neighborhood. Not that I blame you for sitting that one out either. I have my bottom line and do not go below it. I priced one like that last week for $200 and $50 for the stump. $250 total. It was literally right around the corner from the condo complex account I have... Never heard back from him and wouldn't have come back for less. Would have taken about an hour to an hour and a half, stump included.

Half an hour? This tree has so many limbs it would take a half an hour for squirrel to run through it. Lol

I think it has a squirrel's nest in it, that ought to be fun.

That vidoe was tff. Looks like it was in Willamantic, if that kid had a bigger head I would swear it was you!

Carbie You aren't smart enough to keep your piehole shut when people that know way more then you ever thought about knowing try to help you. Then when they give you the chance to step away and keep some dignity, you fuel the fire. You are absolutely brilliant.

That's what mom used to always say, except she always called it a cake eater.

Half an hour? This tree has so many limbs it would take a half an hour for squirrel to run through it. Lol

I think it has a squirrel's nest in it, that ought to be fun.

Well the trees around here are short compared to national standards and a 35 footer still is not usually #### here. If it's a brushy pine or something I could see where you are coming from but when you say 35' most folks are thinking of a landscraper tree.

The one I mentioned earlier for $250 was a brushy Bradford Pear. Would have had to climb it as it was between two houses, in a line and over a Jap Maple. Those were the mitigating factors that made me charge a little over my hourly rate.

Without pics it's hard to tell but who has time for that ####. The potential customer told you what she was willing to pay and you declined on the grounds that you could not feed you, your two groundys and your chipper bologna for that price. Get used to it, Get over it, move on to the next tree. Don't be like some of the guys you hear around here who are mad at the world because leaner crews are outselling them and their equipment and making money. That is of no benefit to you.

Last edited:
Well the trees around here are short compared to national standards and a 35 footer still is not usually #### here. If it's a brushy pine or something I could see where you are coming from but when you say 35' most folks are thinking of a landscraper tree.

I don't think this one was planted by a landscraper, unless it was many years ago. It's definitely brushy though.

That tree on your homepage looks pretty short BTW.

Well if you're talking about the big Red Oak, it was a champion tree that had died in our historical midtown district here. It was 6' DBH and around 110' tall. I've got it down to around 65' in that pic and it's around 4' DBH at that point. I've got a 20' lanyard around it there. Unusually large for around here. If you are talking about the smaller ones to the right side, those are about average for around here. I came up doing monster removals in Atlanta in the early to mid 90's. I rode around for two years doing nothing but crane removals with a couple of large services I apprenticed with. I cut my teeth on large trees. That's why I am king of my own jungle here. The smaller trees here are elementary to me.

In the OP you said they were having bulk pick up, Tree MD and others have suggested to set yourself out from the rest by skill,knowledge,and expertise, most of the time if the HO's first statemate is we are having brush pick up, I know what to expect, and I will explain that as signed by me upon reciving my Tree Maintenece License , I am required to clean up,haul off and leagaly dispose of all incured debris, and usually with limited space it is faster to chip than to try to fit it safely on the curb, also the high end jobs have HOA's that require clean up daily so I usually don't get these, brush stack jobs, nore wish to sell the street they are on,
Paul

In the OP you said they were having bulk pick up, Tree MD and others have suggested to set yourself out from the rest by skill,knowledge,and expertise, most of the time if the HO's first statemate is we are having brush pick up, I know what to expect, and I will explain that as signed by me upon reciving my Tree Maintenece License , I am required to clean up,haul off and leagaly dispose of all incured debris, and usually with limited space it is faster to chip than to try to fit it safely on the curb, also the high end jobs have HOA's that require clean up daily so I usually don't get these, brush stack jobs, nore wish to sell the street they are on,
Paul

You should look into getting a spell checker bro, yer rhiten iss howd tu wreed.

I had the same thing with a customer on a fir job. Only he said he found these guys to cut it and take the brush for free, just for the wood. Sometimes they are BSing you just to get you to come down a bit. But Huskytree is right. You got to either negotiate a bit or walk away and accept it. Take comfort in the fact that those homeowners who are always looking to go as cheap as possible will eventually get what they pay for (accident, unfinished job, etc).

Tell me you cant do 10 of those trees in 1 day. Now what does your bid look like. I may steal your saying of " a squirrel couldnt run through the tree that fast " might use that on my salesman:msp_sleep: sell the job not the price.

Last edited:
Tell me you cant do 10 of those trees in 1 day. Now what does your bid look like. I may steal your saying of " a squirrel couldnt run through the tree that fast " might use that on my salesman:msp_sleep: sell the job not the price.

If I had 10 of those trees on the same job I might do 10 of them in a day, but doing one or two here, then moving everything way over there to do another one or two, then moving way up yonder to do more would eat up more time than there is in a day.

hate is a strong word im sorry you feel that way about me. ha ha

I had about the same deal awhile back lady kept bugin me and callin me I was at 350 for a 28 plus 40'
had to be climbed so told me this guy that guy they all said this or that one day she said look i realy need it down (and she realy did ) but cant aford to one day on my way by I cut it heck it only took me and dad about 40 min then he jaw jacked for about 1/2 hour I think she gave us $ 175 not bad for a little work but i didnt pay the old man i didnt want to promote that kind of behavior

p.s. the train went buywhile i was on the tree not very far away made that little ol pole wobble abit

It's done

I finally got around to taking this tree down to the ground.

Put a rope right in the very top, tied in and limbed it on the way up, crawled up into the basket that was my tip, topped out the two large branches that were there from the previous topping, dropped down a bit and took the top chunk off, rappelled down, loaded the brush up and moved, then dropped the pole, but it up and loaded it on the trailer.

It was amazing how much it opened the yard up.

This thing was actually right at 60' x 22" DBH , it had been trimmed back and topped out several times over the years.

Believe it or not this thing was actually a Christmas tree at one time. Now it's next years :msp_biggrin:fire wood.

I got lowballed bad this week bid a job to raise the canopy on a white oak two leads over the roof two leads over an above ground pool and one over the shed it all would of needed to be roped. She also had a pine that someone once butchered and a sick lead over a neighbor’s roof, and one over the neighbor’s pool. I priced it fair enough to pay my overhead and a little to line the pocked after the taxman got his cut. I was called by a neighbor/ person I’ve worked for in the past. He said a guy came and did it for less than I could even pull out of the drive. He talked to the guy and he said he hadn’t had a job since Dec and needed cash.... I guess he needed more than me and that’s fine but uggg.....:bang:

I got lowballed bad this week bid a job to raise the canopy on a white oak two leads over the roof two leads over an above ground pool and one over the shed it all would of needed to be roped. She also had a pine that someone once butchered and a sick lead over a neighbor’s roof, and one over the neighbor’s pool. I priced it fair enough to pay my overhead and a little to line the pocked after the taxman got his cut. I was called by a neighbor/ person I’ve worked for in the past. He said a guy came and did it for less than I could even pull out of the drive. He talked to the guy and he said he hadn’t had a job since Dec and needed cash.... I guess he needed more than me and that’s fine but uggg.....:bang:

I don't mind so much getting lowballed on a simple job, but on something like that where you have to know what you're doing, and take the extra time to do it right.

It makes you wonder if the guy actually needed the work or if his story was just a lowball tactic.

Back