Muscles ya forgot ya had, and other stuff.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Bought a nice new 8 pound Collins maul from true-value.
Split about a cord of red oak and red maple today in 10 minute sessions...

I'm feeling it. My hands have blisters starting.

And my wood splitter is snickering at me. It knows.

A cord down for you,:bowdown:

I bucked a big white oak yesterday and used the tractor FEL to bring it to my pile. I'm fealing it today, with all the pollen in the air my head feals like it's in a jar. Sawing and moving all that wood makes my body feal like I got hit by a truck.
You and I will heal and do it all over again.:msp_smile:

Ted

About a month back a 3 kg (6.6 lb) maul arrived here from Muller in Austria (via Hand tools for woodworking, wood carving, wood turning and log building). Had been back-ordered for 4 months. I used it to attack local mountains of oak and sugar maple. Wish I'd gotten one years back- made wood-splitting an "attractive nuisance".
The head is shaped quite differently from mass-produced mauls- essentially flat from tip of edge to center of eye. (I duplicated this shape on some cheapie old 5- and 8-lb mauls, which made them hugely more useful; angle-grinder with rigid and flexible discs got it done.) No way I could duplicate the metallurgy of the Muller maul, though. Yes, an acute edge seems to help a lot also.
Turns out, the best tactic was to use the Muller to quarter the large rounds, then finish them off with a 5-lb. My little stove wants really little splits. Later, they'll get buzzed in half, down to 8" long.

Maul just smiles at me in passing. Now I've got to buck some more oak for it.
Muscles that suddenly came into play are now used to it.

4 X 4 X 8 CORD?

How many 10 minute sessions?

Red oak straight grain?

How was the Red Maple grain wise?

Just bought a Collins 3.5lb Jersey axe staight handle for the wood shed; been using it about a two weeks now.

I like the short handle (26") ceiling is only seven foot high in the wood shed so it fits just right for me.

I switch up the technique. Repetitive motion from sliding one hand down the handle to meet one hand on the end of the handle can be alternated by swinging it right handed choked down hands together like a vertical ball bat swing. Less callous that way too.

Well... if I was that wood splitter I'd be setting there snickering at ya, too. LOL, look at that goofus, asking for a heart attack. :D

No offense intended, my friend. Just sayin'. I swatted many a round with a maul in my younger days. I won't do that stuff no more. :eek:

4 X 4 X 8 CORD?

How many 10 minute sessions?

Red oak straight grain?

How was the Red Maple grain wise?

5 or 6 sessions, maybe 10 to 20 minutes each.

Oak was straight for the most part, I can afford to be choosy when I select it- logger!

Maple was good too; again, I can be picky.

Found maybe 10 rounds so far that will need the splitter.

5 or 6 sessions, maybe 10 to 20 minutes each.

Oak was straight for the most part, I can afford to be choosy when I select it- logger!

Maple was good too; again, I can be picky.

Found maybe 10 rounds so far that will need the splitter.

okay.....facecord...then:yoyo:

Not exactly from a Maul, but I spent the day on saturday with my ctl 70 multi terrain loader cutting access roads. One was a 200 yard long run around and up the side of a big hill. Besides beating off of trees that I was trying to knock down, I was at all kinds of odd angles. After a few hard hits I was trying to use my mucles to stay off of the side of the cage and off the safety bar. I almost couldnt get out of bed Sunday. I went back out and finnished a short run before Easter dinner. Man was I whipped. Then got up this morning for work and could hardly stand up. Man those are some nice access roads!!

Back