Must haves in a bucket truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a used bucket/chip truck. What are the non-negotiables in features I should look for? Recommendations for companies in the midwest that sell them? I saw several on Treetrader.

Lone Wolf, I would do that anyways just to be safe and meet all requirements.

Any other info would be appreciated, I know little here but am licensed to run cranes. I know go figure.....

Lone Wolf, I would do that anyways just to be safe and meet all requirements.

Any other info would be appreciated, I know little here but am licensed to run cranes. I know go figure.....

Well you could ask Plume Crazy or you could make sure you buy either a High Ranger or an Altec .Make sure the service is near your area so when you need work it is not a couple states away!I have an Aeriel Lift of Connecticut which is a damn good lift but they went out of business and are hard to get worked on!You need at least a 50 foot lift don't go lower!What else do you want to know?

I was thinking Altec but not sure if they're the best ones out there and was also thinking
60- 75' boom. Reliabilty and parts availabilty are high on the list too.
I'm good with welding and troubleshooting but safety is way up there on my list.

Most of the used stuff out there I hear has been really used.

I was thinking Altec but not sure if they're the best ones out there and was also thinking
60- 75' boom. Reliabilty and parts availabilty are high on the list too.
I'm good with welding and troubleshooting but safety is way up there on my list.

Most of the used stuff out there I hear has been really used.

I know the 75s are a little expensive to buy and repair!50 -60 is all you need unless you are doing power lines every day with 80 foot trees.Altecs High rangers and Aerial Lift of Conn. are the top 3!Like I said Aerial lift is out of business.Find a prospect then we can find out what recalls are on it and what they cost to fix.You don't want anything older then 10 years or so old.

I have a spiderlift that we love and do most of our work from. While we seldom have a tree that we cant reach with the spiderlift, 60% of the trees could be reached from a truck. A truck would be a good back up and would allow us to run 2 crews.

Last edited:
I had a feeling you were going to say something like that. Yes they would be primaries.
And I when see some of National Grids trucks I want to drool.... That's gotta cost.

I was thinking Altec or Terex overcenter booms. Diesel over gas. Need to check more locally who would service and check them over nearby (Nebraska)

Oh that's not bad let me look in my back pocket.... No not there...
I'll have to work on plan B. I don't have a plan B hhhmmmmmm :msp_unsure:

I was thinking Altec or Terex overcenter booms. Diesel over gas. Need to check more locally who would service and check them over nearby (Nebraska)

I would say Altec and diesel is the only way to go gas wont pull a big chipper or do hills or last!A pony motor is the cats ass so you dont burn all the money in fuel and less fumes around your work area!I hate breathing diesel!

Plan B might be to buy a decent used crane dirt cheap if possible.

Other construction equipment maybe. With so many companies not doing much work these days, There might be some deals out there.

Oh that's not bad let me look in my back pocket.... No not there...
I'll have to work on plan B. I don't have a plan B hhhmmmmmm :msp_unsure:

I realize most of the forums are from out East. I was just saying that is something I will have to check on here. My initial question was to get feedback on what you would look for in a Bucket truck. Thanks Lone Wolf those are things I need to consider.

Back