My 260 eats flippy caps.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkesler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, I have several pieces of Stihl equipment with the flippy caps, but the only one that ever gives me problems is the 260. Not the trimmers, not the other saws, etc. etc., just the 260. It doesn't get used more than the other stuff, so I'm at a loss. :popcorn:

So you're saying your saw has an eating disorder, huh? Man, that is inconvenient. I have trouble with the oil cap on small saws like the MS200. It is hard to figure out sometimes how to get it started right.

So you're saying your saw has an eating disorder, huh? Man, that is inconvenient. I have trouble with the oil cap on small saws like the MS200. It is hard to figure out sometimes how to get it started right.

Only the 260. For instance, I bet the one's on my 390 are at least 4 or 5 years old, and they are the original.

<-edit-> What happens is they crack, and quit sealing.

Last edited:
I have not had any trouble with the 260 in specific, however the caps on several saws seemed to be more difficult over the last 6-8 months also other plastic parts have broken or become cracked. I was wondering if the choice of bar oil or mix and fuel had anything to do with it?

Save your breath...before Stihl has figured out that their flippy caps suck, the other brands will keep remaining smiling... :)

they will keep telling you however that it is your fault though in the meantime...

I have not had any trouble with the 260 in specific, however the caps on several saws seemed to be more difficult over the last 6-8 months also other plastic parts have broken or become cracked. I was wondering if the choice of bar oil or mix and fuel had anything to do with it?

I have had more problems with the gas side, and don't use any specific gas, but do use Stihl oil mix. I use Stihl bar oil, and have only had to replace 1 oil cap. Now that you say that, though, I wonder if it's a new plastic in the caps and/or the ethanol? Who has some old flippy caps I can buy?

I have a bunch of new ones, off of my ms290 victims. Not a big seller, must not be a bunch of problems with them.

I have a bunch of new ones, off of my ms290 victims. Not a big seller, must not be a bunch of problems with them.

It's amazing how many "problems" there are with the new flippy caps, but I sell old style verse new...

My reorder quanities on old style caps for say an 026 are set at 12, that means we sell atleast 36 of those a year. My re-order quanities on any of the newer style, none are higher than 4, that means 12 or less per year.

When you consider the number of older units out on commercial customers vs new...well most of my guys replace units ever 2-3 years...not alot of old style caps on my commerical crews (other than the 660).

Flippy caps might be a problem for some, but not everyone :)

Ok, I have several pieces of Stihl equipment with the flippy caps, but the only one that ever gives me problems is the 260. Not the trimmers, not the other saws, etc. etc., just the 260. It doesn't get used more than the other stuff, so I'm at a loss. :popcorn:

What is it "eating"? The O-ring? or are the flip part of the caps breaking?

they will keep telling you however that it is your fault though in the meantime...

I'm getting the impression that is where this is headed. It's already being intimated that I'm the idiot, even though it's only the one saw out of the collection of stuff I own that is giving me a problem.

Send me a couple, then.

What is it "eating"? The O-ring? or are the flip part of the caps breaking?

The plastic cracks in the body, and it will no longer pull down tight.

Check the part of each tank that the flippy caps engage to see if it looks right. If there is a flaw with the way the lugs on the tank side are formed you could end up eating caps. This is rare, I've heard of it one time before and once it was determined to be the problem Stihl replaced the saw tank even though it was out of warranty.:)

Mr. HE:cool:

The one on the bar oil side of mine is a PITA. It works, but you really have to pay attention to it, or it will not hook and the oil gets dumped. I have done it about a half-dozen times. I sure like my Husky caps better.

I'm with ya on that 200t oil cap John,first thing I did was twist the center outta that little mutha buggah.....seven dollar error,would like to see Stihl's gross income selling them suckers.......:popcorn:

Out of my 9 stihl saws, my 260 is the only one to go through flippy caps. It has went through 3, and is the least used saw. I can't figure it out. I think it is how the tank is molded. You have to force it in and really crank on it to turn. On all my other saws they just fall in, and snap in really easy.

Check the part of each tank that the flippy caps engage to see if it looks right. If there is a flaw with the way the lugs on the tank side are formed you could end up eating caps. This is rare, I've heard of it one time before and once it was determined to be the problem Stihl replaced the saw tank even though it was out of warranty.:)

Interesting, I'll take a look at that.

Out of my 9 stihl saws, my 260 is the only one to go through flippy caps. It has went through 3, and is the least used saw. I can't figure it out. I think it is how the tank is molded. You have to force it in and really crank on it to turn. On all my other saws they just fall in, and snap in really easy.

That sounds familiar.

Interesting, I'll take a look at that.

That sounds familiar.

Oil or Gas? The only way I've cracked em (and yes I have done so) is if the cap was closed before I tried to put it on. Use your hand to spin the lower portion of the cap open and then closed. You'll get what I mean.

If thats not whats happening, check where the tangs slide through and seat. Look for extras. It's possible you got a tank that was molded incorrectly. I have a customer with a 200T with a similar seating issue on his air filter housing, molding was off and allows junk to collect, plus he breaks covers (3 in three months).

Uncommon, but it is possible.

A Picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited:

Mr. HE:cool:

Interesting point. We've purchased quite a few of the flip caps at work. Saws are 029's, 290's, 025's, and 250's. There is one 250 that is in particular a pain. We keep a rag tied to the handle as you always have to twist the black to line up with lugs on the white and then wipe your hands clean. Not sure how many different parts need to be in a cap, but seems typical now a days.

Last edited:
I have to push down very hard to get the tabs on the cap to slide beneath the ones on the tank. It is like they were molded 1 mm to low. Also the cap fits to tight. I almost need pliers to pull the cap out of the tank after I unlock it. It takes a lot of wiggling.

Back