My 262xp is having issues!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I love this saw, but I am really starting to wonder if it feels the same!!! Put the new coil on and it ran fine for a while, did a small removal the other day and it acted up, today it was really bad!!! It doesn't always want to idle down, postion doesn't matter at all, no rhyme or reason for it. Some times it will idle down fine after the cut, other times the chain is going like a bat out of HE!!. I tried adjusting the carb, then it didn't want to stay running at all, screwed the L in and backed it out the 1 1/2 turns and it ran great for a while, then back to the same old, then fine again. I have an idea, just hope I am wrong, any thoughts for simple?
Thanks,
Andy

sounds like a carb kit is in order. That and or the seals might be heading south. Throw a car kit at it and see if that helps it out. They are about 7-10 bucks and not hard to do.

Freakingstang said:
sounds like a carb kit is in order. That and or the seals might be heading south. Throw a car kit at it and see if that helps it out. They are about 7-10 bucks and not hard to do.

I hope you are right Steve, I really do, casue if it's the seals I am seeing a 5100s in my future!!!! I need this thing running BAD right now!!!
Andy

well since you have a cure, buy the red saw, you'll like it more!

well maybe not, but for the weight, power, and weight, power, vibes, money, vibes, money, wieght and power. It is a great saw. Did I mention the 5100 has great power for the weight and price?

Freakingstang said:
well since you have a cure, buy the red saw, you'll like it more!

well maybe not, but for the weight, power, and weight, power, vibes, money, vibes, money, wieght and power. It is a great saw. Did I mention the 5100 has great power for the weight and price?

Did I mention I was PO' White Trash, who has purchased too many new to me saws lately?
Andy

Hose it off with some air and see what you have, pull it apart piece after piece I would go in through the carb. and scrutinize the fuel hose, strech it, pull it twist it. When you are going in maybe you will see a fastener loosened up that allowed air leak. I am highly suspect of a airleak somewhere and I pray that it is not a seal just for the pita factor let alone the damage that could occur. I don't think the carb would be the problem if you have had it running right along but I have been wrong many many times before. If it was the carb I would look for a dirty inlet lever/ inlet lever passage or the diaphram that pushes the inlet lever down. I think you could tear into the carb carefully and see if that is the problem. I am unsure how the impulse is sent to the carb but that is also suspect, look for a leak there either the hose or the gasket. You could also retorque the spark plug and cylinder bolts for a warm fuzzy feeling and possibly the muffler studs.

He is my line of thought the leak is overcome at full throttle because it is rather small, think how the increased pressures at wot can negate the leak.

You know there is a problem dig into it until you find the culprit.

Good luck and keep us posted

Buck

Rick,
I like your post better

I ran on like an old lady at a nursing home, and you said the same thing I was in just a handful of words.

buck

OK I pulled the carb, all was nice and tight. Cleaned everyting out checked the gaskets, disassembled the thing, no real problems there, all seemed well. Cleaned and reassembled, and no leaks in the diaphram, and the top gasket. Put ti back together, same thing. I think I am hosed!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
OK I pulled the carb, all was nice and tight. Cleaned everyting out checked the gaskets, disassembled the thing, no real problems there, all seemed well. Cleaned and reassembled, and no leaks in the diaphram, and the top gasket. Put ti back together, same thing. I think I am hosed!
Andy

Sounds like you may have a crankshaft seal that is leaking a tad, a small tad. No biggie, seals aren't much...

Andy, have you had this saw since it was new?

Fwiw, I had a 55 doing the same thing after I rebuilt it and I was sure I messed something up, however I had another carb to swap on, and that worked.

You could also check the cylinder bolts and try spraying the seals with wd40 when it's racing as well.

trimmmed said:
Andy, have you had this saw since it was new?

Fwiw, I had a 55 doing the same thing after I rebuilt it and I was sure I messed something up, however I had another carb to swap on, and that worked.

You could also check the cylinder bolts and try spraying the seals with wd40 when it's racing as well.

No, I bought it at garage sale last summer for a good price. but I am leaning towards the crank seals. If that is the case I hope the good Doc. fels some sypmathy for me, because it will be coming his way!!!
Andy

If possible I would try a carb swap. Had a saw do the same thing the other day with a carb that had a kit. Swapped carbs and problem went away.

Andy, did you change the carb to manifold gasket? Every time I have reused those, they leak. I always change them any time i have the carb off. I think that saw uses a gasket between the carb and hard plastic manifold, if my memory serves me correctly.

Freakingstang said:
Andy, did you change the carb to manifold gasket? Every time I have reused those, they leak. I always change them any time i have the carb off. I think that saw uses a gasket between the carb and hard plastic manifold, if my memory serves me correctly.

The gaket was paper with plastic on both sides, and was in great shape!!

Well, we will see what happens now, I orderd a carb kit, both crank seals and both intake gaskests, no point in halfazzing it, just replace it all at once and maybe not have anymore issues in the future? How much of a bear is it to change the crank seals? Can I drill a hole in the side and screw my seal puller in, or do I have to dissasemble the whole thing? Never really looked at them before so I am not sure.
Thanks,
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Well, we will see what happens now, I orderd a carb kit, both crank seals and both intake gaskests, no point in halfazzing it, just replace it all at once and maybe not have anymore issues in the future? How much of a bear is it to change the crank seals? Can I drill a hole in the side and screw my seal puller in, or do I have to dissasemble the whole thing? Never really looked at them before so I am not sure.
Thanks,
Andy

Andy just remember if you mess it up ..You can buy Ralph's 372 ......

sawinredneck said:
Thanks,
Andy

Awwwwwwwwww smart man, do it complete and be done, wise move. Those seals aren't that hard, you can do it.

04ultra said:
Andy just remember if you mess it up ..You can buy Ralph's 372 ......

I thought about it, but need a smaller saw more than a bigger saw!! Somewhat light is the key to this one!! If I need something to pull a bigger bar I'll just grab the 046, may just get a 20" for it and run it like that if nothing else works out!:hmm3grin2orange: Can't belive I went all these years with one saw and no problems, buy four and can't keep anything running!
Andy

THALL10326 said:
Awwwwwwwwww smart man, do it complete and be done, wise move. Those seals aren't that hard, you can do it.

I didn't figure it was that hard, just didn't want to have to split the case, gotta do that things will get changed:hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

Latest posts

Back