My 346XP ported by Dozerdan - pics+vids

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question for Dan:

I have a virgin 2153 stashed away in my basement. Can you port a saw in that condition or should it be broken in a little before porting?

The squish band is cut AND a popup on the piston? What's the compression?

I just cut the base and did the popup. The compression was at 195 on his gauge, it should gain a little after he has some more run time on it.
I like 200 on those saws. I think anything above that they slow down, at least thats what I find with the way I port them.

Later
Dan

I have a question for Dan:

I have a virgin 2153 stashed away in my basement. Can you port a saw in that condition or should it be broken in a little before porting?

I like virgins.
Call me. You are not that far away. Take a trip and I will let you run a ported saw or two.

Later
Dan

That's what I figured. I'm with you on the compression as well.

I have cut the chamber and used a popup in a few 372s but I dont think that it did much or any over just the popup. I own the strongest woods ported 2171 that I ever had in my figures. It only had 175 pound when I built it. Its getting old and tired like me an its down to just a little over 160. I let a lot of people run it at the GTG and its still strong.
I dont think that super high compression does much on some saws.

Later
Dan

I have cut the chamber and used a popup in a few 372s but I dont think that it did much or any over just the popup. I own the strongest woods ported 2171 that I ever had in my figures. It only had 175 pound when I built it. Its getting old and tired like me an its down to just a little over 160. I let a lot of people run it at the GTG and its still strong.
I dont think that super high compression does much on some saws.

Later
Dan
yea that 2171 I ran of yours at the gtg sure did run well! almost had me thinking of switching brands....almost.lol!

Its good to hear that you almost came to your senses. There may be hope for you after all.
Your little 028 ran well for a Stihl. I wish that I would have taken my Partner 5000 along with me for you to run. Its stronger then my 346.

Later
Dan

Yep, the saw is still impressive. I replace the carb (EL 42) by the original one (EL-32), the saw seems to be easyer to tune like that. And i made a new muffler mod, i totally removed the deflector, enlarge a little the hole, and put a 288 deflector, looks pretty awesome.

All my friends who are loggers are amazed by the saw (some of them are scared :D)

And the most surprising point, the saw is really fuel efficient, you can do A LOT of work with a full can of gas!

Latest posts

Back