My attempt at square filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky Mark

Hell's Kitchen Trapper
Reaction score
Today was the first day I used a saw in months, since being laid up for a while I have been working on my 90-second tickle square chisel filing. I started with Oregon chain and here are my results. Can you determine if I am filing right by looking at the cuts of wood and chips. I was cutting with a Walkerized 357xp. I had to have my friend start the saw, the chain felt sharp but I have noticed on Gypos and a few other members their cuts appear smoother.

Anther shot of my Mitzy doing her part. There's the last stand of tree's in the neighborhood .

Looks pretty smooth on the endgrain, Marky. That looks like dry wood so the chips break up more than they would on green wood. Now you got to train that dog to run the stop watch for you and get us some timed cuts!

Frank

Hi Mark, now that I am a proponent of square chain, I really believe that it is easier on everything, ie., less chain stretch and side strap peaning, thus less wear to sprocket and bar.
Although I hate the phrase stay sharp, I grind only once for the day and I'm good to go, but I keep rakers very high, maybe 20- 22 thou., so it self feeds with a little body English added.
John

Latest posts

Back