My bought cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was tongue in cheek a bit but you said yourself that 4x8 is commonly accepted a 'face cord'. I'm going to start using gills as my unit of measure for volume of firewood going forward. Just can't decide between US and Imperial gills.
What type of fish?

True that. "Face Cord" by itself is an undefined measure but commonly accepted as 4' x 8'. To have any meaning at all it needs the "width" (length of stick) added.

Why people insist on using such vague terms is beyond me. What is wrong with "cord" or 'fraction of cord". In the current instance had he said "2/3 cord" vice "face cord" every body would have known instantly how much it was.

As for "rick" technically it can be as little as 3 sticks up to and including an infinity. I sometimes wonder if the minimum could even be 2 sticks.

Harry K

Some just dont know any better. Some use vague terms so they can sell 3 cords and get paid for 4.

That was tongue in cheek a bit but you said yourself that 4x8 is commonly accepted a 'face cord'. I'm going to start using gills as my unit of measure for volume of firewood going forward. Just can't decide between US and Imperial gills.

I suspected that :) Please use imperial gill if sellign to me. I can get more booze into one.

True it _is_ the accepted size of a face cord but using face cord is frowned upon as it is not a legal measure. Many states specifically state in the regs that it is not to be used....oops, guess I already said that once. Do much reading of posts here and it won't be long before you see the confusion that arises when it is used...and also when someone claims "I cut x-cords" and then we find he was using 'face cord' as being a cord.

I'm getting a bit crotchity in my old age and you hit me in one of my pet peeves :). Sorry if I came off a bit rough.

Harry K

No it's not, you just suck at art :msp_w00t:

Maybe you should try cutting your ear off like Van Gogh :rock:

It's true, I do suck at art. And a lot of other things, to be truthful. However, metric Gill is funny stuff.

I tried to cut my finger off once, but it wouldn't quite come off, so I decided against giving it to anyone.

Very nice looking wood there!

:hmm3grin2orange:

Some just dont know any better. Some use vague terms so they can sell 3 cords and get paid for 4.

The scammer who is the subject of the thread no only shorts his measures but by the length of the sticks. OP says they average around 15". So he gets one extra round every 16th round he cuts.

customer gets say 3/4 cord in the stack but doesn't realize he is missing 1" on each of the sticks.

OP should have blown the whistle to the W&M people.

Harry K

This site should have a thread dedicated to wood measure. It could be called "How to measure wood (what is a cord?)" and be permanently affixed to the top of each page. That way the Department of Redundancy Department will not need to get involved and start handing out citations...:taped:

Did you buy a cord, or a "load". I found this on firewoodresource.com. I just cut & pasted so it may have a bit of funk:msp_razz:, but it is interesting:

Firewood Measurements

There are several different firewood measurements common used in North America. There are full cords, face cords, ricks and now fireplace cords are becoming more common. These different terms and measurements can be confusing to consumers and often leaves them with less wood than they thought they were buying.

Unlike the other measurements, a cord is an actual legally defined volume of wood. In some states firewood is required to be sold by the cord or fraction of a cord. If you want to know how much actual wood you are getting, it should be bought by the cord or fraction of a cord.

Difference Between a Full Cord, Face Cord, Fireplace Cord, Rick
A cord is the only one of these firewood measurements that is an actual amount of wood. A cord of wood is the amount of wood that can be tightly stacked in 128 cubic feet. The most common dimension for this is a stack 4′x4′x8′. This is about 2 full size pickup loads with the wood stacked to the top of the sides. If someone is bringing wood in the back of a full standard size pickup and they are telling you it is a full cord, it better be stacked up close to the height of the top of the cab. If not, it’s probably not a full cord.

Learn more about different dimensions that will add up to a full cord of wood, and how to determine how much wood you have with this firewood calculator.

Face cords, ricks and fireplace cords don’t necessarily tell you how much wood you are getting. These different measurements can mean different things to different people. They are really ambiguous measurements. To some, these are equivalent to 1/3 cord, but not always. Depending on who you talk to, these measurements are the equivalent to a stack of wood 4 feet high and 8 feet long. The problem is, without knowing the length of the pieces and the depth of the stack, you don’t know how much wood you are getting.

So if you buy a face cord. or rick, the dealer can decide how how much wood you get by the length of the pieces. A rick or face cord of shorter pieces will be much less wood than the same stack of long pieces. If the pieces are 16″ long. it would be 1/3 cord. If they were 12″ long it would be 1/4 cord. If the pieces are 24″ long, it would be 1/2 cord.

Or of the pieces are somewhat random, which is probably more common, you really don’t know how much wood you are getting. If you really want to know how much wood you are getting, buy from someone who sells by the cord or fraction of a cord. And make sure when they say cord they are talking about real cords (128 cubic feet) and not face cords or fireplace cords. If they insist on selling by one of these other ambiguous firewood measurements, that is probably a good reason to find someone else.

How much firewood is in a cord?

In any stack of wood there will be air space between the pieces. As a result a cord of wood may only have 70-90 cubic feet of actual solid wood. This varies with the size and shape of the wood and how tightly it is stacked. Wood that is randomly thrown into a pile will have more air space between the pieces and less solid wood per cubic foot than a neatly stacked pile.

To get a full cord of loosely piled wood you will need around 180 cubic feet to make up for the increased space between the pieces. This figure can vary some depending on how loose the pile is so it’s not an exact figure.

Cord vs Chord
Some people spell a cord of firewood chord. A chord is actually a word that refers to a group or musical notes or harmony. Cord is the actual spelling of the firewood measurement. is long, but interesting.

Very nice looking wood there! Nice to see wood that I don't have to clean with a brush before I load it too. I'll call u for my next cord, do you deliver to Lancaster, Pa? Lol.

I am over in New Jersey , and I have limited space to store wood I can only store about 40 cords at one time , and all of my customers usually buy all the wood before February , so I would love to help I am just too far , there are good guys though out your way I am sure of it .

First off, thank you very much for the offer Jere39! I really appreciate it! I'm going to call on Friday but I'm expecting the usual attitude. lol. I did call about having some Poplar mixed in... I found about a dozen pieces which were on the top. He said he'd make good on any soft wood that was in there and there wasn't enough to bother with.

Yes, the wood is pretty wet. I've noticed a greasy film on the latch of the door that wasn't there prior to burning it so I assume my new liner's looking similar. The wood is well season and it seems to be a surface "wet" but some look like they were on a wet ground and it soaked in pretty well.

I measured every piece on the top and the average was 14.5". Very few were 16", a lot were 14". I'm certainly not trying to be a PITA or nit pick. I think $200 was relatively pricy compared to a lot of prices I got. I've burned maybe 10 pieces so far but it seems a lot shorter than 10 pieces.

Thanks for the input, fellas. I'll post the outcome of my call.

Call the guy up........order another cord.......let him dump it..........show him the shortage on the first load........deduct from price for second load......also deduct the same percentage from second load in case that's similarly short. If not you can tighten him up for the balance.

From the WTF files, I just had my second cord delivered and I'm short almost the same amount.

Average length is 15.5", I have a 17' stack that's 4' high. Bunch of f*****g crooks in this place. I'll bet this guy doesn't return my call.

Forgot to post, this is not the same guy as the first cord.

Last edited:
Just get a big trailer and come on over and get what you need for the rest of the year, my treat. That aggravation is bad on the heart brother.

You couldn't buy an honest cords worth of seasoned wood here either if your life depended on it. They'd show up with 2.5 wheelbarrow's worth just dredged out of a lake and cut that morning. Nothing but a bunch of thieves and they know it!

Just get a big trailer and come on over and get what you need for the rest of the year, my treat. That aggravation is bad on the heart brother.

You couldn't buy an honest cords worth of seasoned wood here either if your life depended on it. They'd show up with 2.5 wheelbarrow's worth just dredged out of a lake and cut that morning. Nothing but a bunch of thieves and they know it!

Thank you, brother. I appreciate the offer.

This guy brought it out in his pickup bed - 2 trips. The problem is that it was a 4 door pickup and they have a smaller bed. I'd guess maybe 5' - it was a new dodge. I made sure to tell him that I knew exactly how much a cord was, I guess he thought I was BS'ing him. The last thing I said when he was getting ready to leave after unloading it was "Now, that's a full cord?". His response was "should be".

I'm new to all this but I learn fast. I got the insert cause we had about 15 large cherry trees cut down on some adjacent property, I asked for the wood and they said I could have it. After this cord, which should get us through this winter, we should be able to use our own for the next few years. Just damn disappointing and unnecessary to have to go back and forth to get a "cord" of firewood in this county. I just might call in the Amish Mafia to fix this. :laugh:

Well aside from the crooks and getting shorted hows that new stove working out for you and the family, everyone warm and happy?

Back