My Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcromwell

Reaction score
Hello guys, Long time prowler first time poster.

So I admit I suck as sharpening chains, They never seem to cut near as well as factory. So I find out that Ace Hardware does them for a reasonable price. Well I get the chains back and :censored: Well I will let you make that observation (See Pics). So I think they butchered the chains but I figured I would ask. Both chains were used once and not overly dull when I took them in. Now 1/3-1/2 of each tooth is gone and most are blued from over heating. Is this 'normal'

what a cluster -uck

Talk about a butcher job.I would, A.find another shop to sharpen your chains B.Buy a cheap grinder C.try sharpening by hand.Sharpening chains has been a long standing challenge/fun.If you cared to outfit yourself with the basic tools,I'm sure AS members including myself would have you in good shape in no time.To me,even after 37 years of hand sharpening,I still get a zing out of a real good cutting saw.With your ability to show us close ups of the chain,I think you'd get an avalanche of people willing to help.D.Send me a bunch of chains and I'll do my thing and send them back. Gary

Goodness sakes!!!! What a butcher job! I have never seen worse! Unimaginable to think that the person who ground that chain had any training at all. Hook is worse than I have ever seen in my life. Made me feel sick to think that you payed to have that done. That chain is now ruined beyond repair!

Well Good news. After you guys verified this is a butcher job, I was able to get Ace to replace both chains, Claimed they used the wrong wheel thickness. Time to learn to do it right.. ;)

Thanks again.

I've always liked Ace and am glad they did right by you and replaced the chains. I might be brand new to sharpening but when I saw those pictures:

:jawdrop:

1. I would recomend setting yourself up with a file-o-plate and some files very easy go to chainsaw forum and read the Are fop really progressive depth?

2. Whoever sharpened your chain should never run a chainsaw.

3. Get some different chain that is vangaurd chain the closest the osha approved chain out there. It just doesnt cut well I would get some non-safety full-chisel chain baileys has a good selection and pricing.

First I would get rid of that chain and get a real one(maybe Oregon LGX).They did cut that up a bit but if you grind them rakers to the right shape and take out that bump between the cutter and the raker it would look like a race chain and probabaly cut alot better:clap:

Hello guys, Long time prowler first time poster.

So I admit I suck as sharpening chains, They never seem to cut near as well as factory. So I find out that Ace Hardware does them for a reasonable price. Well I get the chains back and :censored: Well I will let you make that observation (See Pics). So I think they butchered the chains but I figured I would ask. Both chains were used once and not overly dull when I took them in. Now 1/3-1/2 of each tooth is gone and most are blued from over heating. Is this 'normal'

===

Normal, pretty much

Right, NO

Reminds me of a local guy telling me about the great machining job the guys do out behind the local Napa parts store. He seemed to think they could offset grind my crankshaft (460, offset grind to 2.2" BBC journals for more stroke) for $80 because that's what they charge for any journal grind. When I decided to check it out anyway, I saw they did in fact machine crankshafts and had a whole bunch of them in there. Their grinding wheel was square edged and all the cranks had no radius on any of the journals. I've never been back there since.

Back