My custom Echo small wood and limbing saw project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work on the handle mods

Looks like I need to track down a 360T carb for my 361p for the sake of science.

Just to clarify, did you swap engines over inside the plastic cases.

I agree, some things could be better on the, 361p. Dual post chain brake would be ideal .

Nice work on the handle mods

Looks like I need to track down a 360T carb for my 361p for the sake of science.

Just to clarify, did you swap engines over inside the plastic cases.

I agree, some things could be better on the, 361p. Dual post chain brake would be ideal .
Thanks! Its basically just the 360T (complete with casing and all) but with the rearhandle from the 361, I think probably the engine and muffler is identical on the two.
Not sure how the newer versions differ; if the top handle allways have the 8mm guidebar bolts/nuts and a bigger carb or if its just the 360T.
The "T" version seems a little sturdier made looking at the details, perhaps because it should be able to take a drop from a tree or something - who knows.
Anyway, it was the 8mm guidebar bolts/nuts (2 of them:happybanana:) and the double post chainbrake handle that I missed on the rear handle version, that is why I did this.
The chainbrake handle is a little short for safety with the new front handle bar however, I might adjust it where it engage at the clutch cover to get it a little closer to the front handle bar.

Many times I have regretted starting on this, perhaps start out trying how it works with a 0.43 guidebar and the Oregon or Stihl micro chain (both are good).
They take less punishment or rough handling though, if you let the chain de-rail that may be enough ruin it. I have encountered that with two different saws.

I spent my effort getting the 361P to run a rim drive. It was supposed to be easy but I think the parts are for something with a different oiler drive contrary to the advertising literature. At any rate as to the 10mm bar nuts I brazed some regular 13mm nuts on the part that sticks out. The two studs are kind of close and the threads are still 6mm but it is likely fine considering the limits of the rubber mounting. There is what appear to be two models of the 361 on the Echo UK site one that is low pollution at 1.49 kw presumably with the catalyst and a professional one at 1.50kw. I did try and convert over to the 1.1mm or 0.043 drive link with smaller cutter chain but it did not seem to make the improvements I seem to recall for other things.

Echo 361p bar mnut mod.jpg

I edited from hp to kw after I got quoted.

I spent my effort getting the 361P to run a rim drive. It was supposed to be easy but I think the parts are for something with a different oiler drive contrary to the advertising literature. At any rate as to the 10mm bar nuts I brazed some regular 13mm nuts on the part that sticks out. The two studs are kind of close and the threads are still 6mm but it is likely fine considering the limits of the rubber mounting. There is what appear to be two models on the Echo UK site one that is low pollution at 1.49 hp presumably with the catalyst and a professional one at 1.50hp. I did try and convert over to the 1.1mm or 0.043 drive link with smaller cutter chain but it did not seem to make the improvements I seem to recall for other things.

View attachment 949840
Brazing the bigger nuts outside the standard ones is one way to go, alot quicker and easier (and cheaper). Perhaps it would be possible to buy special M6 nuts with a bigger head allso to fit the standard wrench tool, like the Stihl bar nuts on the bigger saws - only at M6.

Well, the reason I noticed the .043 super narrow 3/8 chains is that my Makita 3200 came with it as standard, and at 1,3kw it cut notably better than my 361 at 1,5kw(2hp). The Makita have been my favourite small lightweight saw, its just a pleasure to use. But you get a little more serious quality with the Echo.

Here is a link to the Echo catalog with the power specs for the different saws, there might be some special versions due to different pollution requirements, page 36-39: (I see that the 360T is rated a slightly higher kw/hp)
https://cms-yamab.sdch.develondigit...21192bdd3e3012/ECHO_Master_Catalogue_2021.pdf

After looking through the Echo catalog another saw I would very much like to try out in this segment is the CS-3510ES; perfect weight, power and cost.
But I have recently tried my best to empty the shelves of excess chainsaws and save som pesetas... need... to... resist... :crazy:

Latest posts

Back