My dad got some shocking news at work..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No time like the present for your Dad to start your own business. He has a wealth of mechanical knowledge that you cant find just anyplace these days.

Best wishes,
Bob

I was thinking the same thing...
If anything else, the bailouts, recession, and layoffs have cleared away the competition for those who can make a serious run happen.

I'm thinking renegade Vending repair and service operation.
Could it work?

Operations who don't have or cannot afford the employees needed, can contract out...

Just thinking outloud. I ain't gotta clue how things work, other than the old guy ain't done yet.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Sorry to hear, but I've been out of work since January myself...trying to pick the pieces up for myself and trying to build a log home. When life tosses you lemons, make lemon aid out of it.

We all gotta do what we gotta do, and it's turn for you Dad to figure out how the next chapter unfolds. We all control our destiny.

It certainly bites, but maybe it will work out for him and he'll end up with something that will make him happier, or that he enjoys and looks forward to, because that in itself makes life worth living for.

Same thing happened to my Dad. 16 years ago he got finished with a small amount of severance pay, 28 years of working at the same place. He said he was fine about it but everyone knew he was absolutely mortified. He was in the same situation, house paid off, pension pot full and enough money invested to live a not so extravagant lifestyle. He decided to just relax for a while and see what the world threw at him. Times were tight when everything seems to go wrong at once, car repair bills, heating boiler breaking down utility bills all coming in at the same time but he managed and seemed to be happy in not being a wage slave. One day a for sale board went up on 21 acres of land down the road from him and he told us he wanted to buy the land and start a plant and flowers nursery, This nearly split our family apart. He put the family home up for sale and put in a offer on the land, the offer was accepted and the house had an offer on it within a week.

House now sold and he is the new owner or 21 acres of land. He rented a small house in the area and the work began to realise his dream of owning a nursery and being self employed. 2 years of ups and downs and lots of hard work he now has one and a half acres of greenhouses, a shop, a cafe and a small landscape business, he employs four people full time and two part time. five years later he built himself a house on his land to exactly his specifications and he enjoys every moment of his new life and says "being made redundant is the best thing ever to happen to him because if not he would never have had the balls to do what he really wanted to do".

Stories like this stink. But are part of the fall out for our political twist over the last 30-40 years to de-industrialize this country bit by bit along with over loading us with entitlement programs and unfunded mandates from the fed and the state governments to all of us..buying from overseas along with sending the interest on our national debt for this crap overseas capitalises the very competition we fight to avoid becoming politically!

The local hospital here in my town has developed a nasty habit of finding reasons to fire long term employee's just before retirement this year..so far 6 I know of...and there isn't any work here so those people have a really tough time. So sad.

Sorry to hear about your dad. He will be hurting for awhile - I know 'cause I've been down that road myself. Important thing for now is for him to take some time and decide what really matters. Much as we forget, our character is who we are, not what we do for a living. Sooner or later he may want to start his own business - it's tough to work for someone else after you've been given the shaft like he has. This economy sucks, and I don't see it getting better soon, but there's always opportunities for people who know what they're doing and will work hard. Meanwhile, spend some time together and enjoy each other's company. Your family is always the most important thing in life.

I'm glad to hear that your dad was financially prepared when this happened because most people aren't.

They say that it's no worse than it was back in the eighties but I say BS on that one. I went through it and I didn't see nearly as many people laid off then as I see now.

Good luck to your dad. :cheers:

The local hospital here in my town has developed a nasty habit of finding reasons to fire long term employee's just before retirement this year..so far 6 I know of...and there isn't any work here so those people have a really tough time. So sad.[/QUOTE]

so sad--i hear ya. but my azzz--someone needs a beating at that hospital--

Sorry to hear about your dad brother. Sounds like he knows what he is doing and will be fine. Maybe go fishing or something that dads do. Keep yours head up and keep cutting no matter what!:givebeer:

Thanks for all the good wishes guys, he'll be ok, the past couple days have been tough for him. My uncle came down and talked to him, the same thing happened to him 2 years ago. he work at a heat treating shop for 30 years, was the night foreman. Then they got bought out by an over seas company and quickly shut down. They talked and I know that helped him as my uncle is doing just fine. I told him we got more time for ice fishing and other good stuff. It'll just take some time. He doesn't need to work, but he has got to do something. Just the kind of guy he is. he landscapes on the side but i know he wants something more. Now you take 2 guys like my fiancce's father and brother. Lazy as h3ll! Her dad hasnt worked in years, claims he has a heart condition that keeps him fro leaving his chair, drives me crazy! Her brother who is my age (27) had a high paying job on wallstreet (yup), which he quit cause he couldnt handle it. Hasnt worked in 9 months, he handles the couch. About 2 months ago a big oak went down in her uncles yard. Who you think got the call? I told her brother "hey i got 16 saws, pick one your comfortable with and ill pay you to help me." His answer, "I dont do blue collar work. You see any callusses on these hands?" I had all I could do to not deck him, I just said "thats fine man, Ill ask my buddy." Me and my buddy had a great day runnin the jred 80 and poulan 4000. Luckily Kristy is nothing like her family.

About 2 months ago a big oak went down in her uncles yard. Who you think got the call? I told her brother "hey i got 16 saws, pick one your comfortable with and ill pay you to help me." His answer, "I dont do blue collar work. You see any callusses on these hands?" I had all I could do to not deck him, Luckily Kristy is nothing like her family.

Sounds real familar. Good for you, a man who won't work but can work is a cull, plain and simple. If you smacked him it would be remembered and whined about forever.

Bad news all around. At least, about his job. I lost mine seven yr. ago and never have found another. I just turned 60 a week ago, and I KNOW that jobs I've interviewed for have gone to teenagers. I know because I checked back just to see, even spoke with one of the new-hires. Usual story: he ended up getting hired and for much less than the job had been advertised for salary!!! How do you compete with that?

At least our house is paid for and my wife's working, so far. Many layoffs at her place and mostly those who have been there for years, know the job backwards and forwards and make the most money, though she and the others have had their pay cut over 40% over the past two yr. Of course, their medical bennies have also been cut radically and employee costs for the same have also gone sky high, so she is "really" making even less than before.

I can't count any more how many folks I know or know of that this has and is happening to. In my case, self-employed so no unemployment but at least I keep us in heat [wood], some food [our greenhouse], cars repaired, and now do all the cooking and laundry, etc. Which is ok. I am too busy around the property to be bored or anything. I realize I probably won't be getting a job again other than someone calling me up for a week of stonework or some thing, which seems to happen about once a year.... So far, we at least have a reduced paycheck coming in. Funny how all the bills such as homeowners insurance and etc. go up [due next week, $300 more than last year....] and pay keeps going down. Hey, home and land values are supposedly getting hit here and our house is worth less, so how come our property tax valuation has gone up again!!

Last edited:
He says he's glad it happened. Well, he better be glad because there is nothing else to be unless he didn't already have his work cut out for him beyond his job. He does have it, and he can be OK with the lay off.

When things take a turn, and you know you can do OK with the new circumstances, go with it. Don't have feelings for something you can't do anything about, or you're just banging your head on a wall that you don't have the tools to tear down. What good is that?

Door closes. Another door is wide open. Okey Doke....

Latest posts

Back