My DIY redneck parts washer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is the parts washer I rigged. If I cleaned a lot of chainsaws, parts, etc., on a regular basis I would want something larger, but this works for now.

The fourth photo shows the holes in the top bucket from the bottom, it was much easier to photograph that way.

NOTE--I still haven't figured out how to imbed photos without editing my posts.

171445d1297114419-cheap-ass-parts-washer-1-jpg

171446d1297114434-cheap-ass-parts-washer-2-jpg

171447d1297114448-cheap-ass-parts-washer-3-jpg

171448d1297114472-cheap-ass-parts-washer-4-jpg

171449d1297114497-cheap-ass-parts-washer-5-jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done. Redneck approved!

I'm glad you used the hyphen in your pic titles. Otherwise, we'd think it was a Cheap ass parts washer!!!:msp_flapper:

Last edited:
Neat idea! Does it clean parts better or faster than air pressure?

Hey Chris...way to go man! I would like more information IYDM.
What solvents did you try and which do you like best?
Can you recycle or reuse the solvent?
Do you pre-clean parts with air pressure or use air gun after washing?
That aluminum sieve is used in foodservice. I have bought a few of them long ago. Did you find it in a yard sale?

Thanks for your idea!

Now add some Cascade diswasher detergent, hot water and a fountain pump and your set.:msp_biggrin:

Oh, you can keep the water hot by adding a heat cartridge to the bucket.

Hey Chris...way to go man! I would like more information IYDM.
What solvents did you try and which do you like best?
Can you recycle or reuse the solvent?
Do you pre-clean parts with air pressure or use air gun after washing?
That aluminum sieve is used in foodservice. I have bought a few of them long ago. Did you find it in a yard sale?

Thanks for your idea!

You're giving me way too much credit. All I did was match some plastic buckets & lids with a need for something cheap to make cleaning parts easier.

It depends on how clean you want the saw or parts. Some folks want a saw or part just clean enough to do what work needs to be done, others find working on saws easier & more pleasant when the saw is really clean.

I usually start by scraping off the thick grunge, and then using compressed air. Some saws clean-up nicely with compressed air, some rags, & a little picking in the tight spots. Others have years of baked-on crud that require a lot more effort.

I use Purple Power, mainly because it's $12.50 for a 2.5 gallons at Auto Zone. I don't have a brand preference. I usually make up two spray bottles, one at 4 parts water to 1 part cleaner for light cleaning, one at 2:1 for tougher grunge. I use whatever empty household cleaner bottle I have handy. It helps if the bottle has a strong pump to give a strong stream, and an adjustable nozzle that gives a spray is a plus.

For really stubborn grunge, and light carbon build-up, I soak parts in undiluted cleaner in what ever container fits the part--plastic coffee containers, small dishwasher deteregent tubs, etc. I'm careful not to let parts soak too long, I learned my lesson when I left a piston & cylinder soaking too long.

I have re-used cleaner (I'm cheap) if the parts didn't leave the cleaner too oily. If you let the cleaner sit for a while the grunge sediment will settle to the bottom, and you can pour the 'clean' cleaner off the top.

After using cleaner, I rinse the parts with plain water using bottles with strong spray pumps. Sometime I use the water hose, but not often. I dry the parts with a shop towel, rag, paper towels, etc., then hit them with compressed air.

I got the sieve from my mother, not sure where she got it. When I did a lot of vegetable gardening I used it to strain homebrew organic fertilizers & pesticides. Now I use it to hold small parts when I clean them.

I also use a Karcher Power Washer that I got when my in-laws downsized. It's too lame for any serious cleaning, but it did come in handy when I went on a saw cleaning binge a couple of months ago. I had too many parts that needed the cracks & crevices cleaned, doing them by hand would've taken forever. I replaced the wimpy Karcher hose that knotted and blew out with a sturdier one. Doing so required a new gun, and I put in a nozzle insert that gives a tight stream.

I do have to be careful of the paint & decals, whether I use cleaning solution or the Karcher.

This is the parts washer I rigged. If I cleaned a lot of chainsaws, parts, etc., on a regular basis I would want something larger, but this works for now.

The fourth photo shows the holes in the top bucket from the bottom, it was much easier to photograph that way.

NOTE--I still haven't figured out how to imbed photos without editing my posts.

Brake Clean works best. Its the super degreaser. Or even carb spray to.
-ac

Sorry Chris. I'm a bit gunshy when it comes to 'click on this link if you dare' pic/video links. Got little ones running around behind me half the time. Good one Chris!:msp_flapper:

Sorry Chris. I'm a bit gunshy when it comes to 'click on this link if you dare' pic/video links. Got little ones running around behind me half the time. Good one Chris!:msp_flapper:

We don't have kids, but I try to respect the fact some folks here have little ones wanting to see what Daddy is doing. I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone being uncomfortable explaining something the kids might see or read.

Latest posts

Back