My firewood Setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a lot of wood for a 14K trailer! I get over 2 in mine and its very heavy,esp with oak.I know im overweight,but not sure by how much,never weighed her that heavy.

I agree and i bet it was either at, or above its rating.

I agree and i bet it was either at, or above its rating.

I tow my SS and attachments,its about 12K,either my cummins or my 8100/Allison yank it like nothing.The load of firewood feels at least 1.5x heavier,maybe more.I need to leave myself soom room to get going,and i dont go very fast,for fear of blowing a tire.My guess is she weighs about 16-17K loaded with at least 2K tongue weight.Trailer is around 4200 empty.Truck/ trailer stops great from 45-50mph,which is as fast as i go that heavy, i only go 3-4 miles to my house with it,only 1 mile of 2 lane road,the rest 25-30 mph backroads.

I tow my SS and attachments,its about 12K,either my cummins or my 8100/Allison yank it like nothing.The load of firewood feels at least 1.5x heavier,maybe more.I need to leave myself soom room to get going,and i dont go very fast,for fear of blowing a tire.My guess is she weighs about 16-17K loaded with at least 2K tongue weight.Trailer is around 4200 empty.Truck/ trailer stops great from 45-50mph,which is as fast as i go that heavy, i only go 3-4 miles to my house with it,only 1 mile of 2 lane road,the rest 25-30 mph backroads.

Yea... the most important thing is trailer brakes. They are a MUST. I have brakes on both axles...and ofcourse the truck brakes are great too. I travel on the highway doing 65ish and feel very stable.

Yea... the most important thing is trailer brakes. They are a MUST. I have brakes on both axles...and ofcourse the truck brakes are great too. I travel on the highway doing 65ish and feel very stable.

Yes Sir! The truck actually doesnt take much more distance to stop from 50 or so than without a trailer,the brakes are that good,as long as the controller is set right,with the ramp angle,and gain set perfect.My 7K enclosed mowing trailer takes more distance to stop than the 14K dump overloaded,mostly due to the 10x2.5 tiny brakes on the enclosed trailer .Im pretty sure DOT law is brakes on all axles,anyway,I wouldnt have it any other way.

Nice outfit you have there. I am saving for dump trailer just like that, i know it will make life so much easier. I like your set up you made for your trucks and wanted to see if you could let me know how you made it, looks HEAVY DUTY. I have a 03' Chevy 2500HD.

Thanks for the help

Nice outfit you have there. I am saving for dump trailer just like that, i know it will make life so much easier. I like your set up you made for your trucks and wanted to see if you could let me know how you made it, looks HEAVY DUTY. I have a 03' Chevy 2500HD.

Thanks for the help

What do you mean? What do you want to know how to make?

Sorry i should have been more specific but I wanted to know how you built it? I like how you put the steel on the front corners of the rack, does it go down to the bed of your truck or just run on the corners of it? And how did you mount it the rack to the the bed? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Sorry i should have been more specific but I wanted to know how you built it? I like how you put the steel on the front corners of the rack, does it go down to the bed of your truck or just run on the corners of it? And how did you mount it the rack to the the bed? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Oh, i didnt know what you were talking about. That box thats in the back of the pickup bed doesn't get used too much for firewood anymore. Those steel corners are on the front of the box, and also a smaller version of it is located on the inside where the walls and the floor meet. Here's another picture of it.

Thanks for the pictures. I am just looking for a way to haul a cord in "safely" in the bed of my truck, until I can purchase a trailer. Does the weight of the box hold it down safely for driving while its empty? Is there anything "bolted" down from the box to the bed of your truck? How much split wood does that hold? Which trailer (14' or the 12') do you like better for delivering firewood?

Thanks again

Thanks for the pictures. I am just looking for a way to haul a cord in "safely" in the bed of my truck, until I can purchase a trailer. Does the weight of the box hold it down safely for driving while its empty? Is there anything "bolted" down from the box to the bed of your truck? How much split wood does that hold? Which trailer (14' or the 12') do you like better for delivering firewood?

Thanks again

It does hold it down, but i do use 2 thick straps that go over the top for safety, when its empty and full. The box holds a cord of wood and i like the 6x12 for delivering wood because its easier to back into peoples driveways. A majority of people dont order more then 2 cords anyways, so theres no sense in dragging the bigger heavier trailer for no reason. Their driveways are also smaller so the 6x12 gets in there perfectly.

Thanks! i went with a dump trailer because with a truck you need insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. but with a trailer, all you need is a truck, which you should allready have.....

You may want to check with your insurer if you are usin g the trailer for commercial purposes. My commercial insurer (Progressive) requires a policy for each trailer ($100 a year) to cover liabilty, not replacement value, in addition to the insurance I carry on the trucks (lot more that $100 a year). This insurance is not cargo insurance, but just liability, and is based on the type and size of trailer you use.

You may want to check with your insurer if you are usin g the trailer for commercial purposes. My commercial insurer (Progressive) requires a policy for each trailer ($100 a year) to cover liabilty, not replacement value, in addition to the insurance I carry on the trucks (lot more that $100 a year). This insurance is not cargo insurance, but just liability, and is based on the type and size of trailer you use.

Thanks for the heads up, but i'm pretty sure its covered in my insurance. The trailers are registered to my company name so it should be covered under my commercial truck insurance. I hope the 7k a year on 2 trucks and liablilty insurance isnt for nothing lol

Latest posts

Back