My first big-kid saw... which to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barbón

Reaction score
Hi! I'm ready to get all grown-up and get me a real saw, and I've got a few candidates. I have some good-sized trees I'm gradually bringing under control (12-16" branches at the big end), and I cut up a few cords of firewood every year. I can do basic maintenance, and I've rebuilt a couple of small-engine carbs, but I'm pretty much looking for something that doesn't need a whole lot of attention, strips down fairly easily, and fits somewhere around super-heavy-duty home use or light farm duty.

Right now, I'm looking at three old Stihls some neighbors are trying to get rid of. There's an old 026 that runs pretty well, an OLD 041 with a 28" bar in great shape, and an 032 that could probably use a tune-up and has the old points system. They want $250 for the 026 and three chains, $200 for the 041, and $100 for the 032. From what I've read, the 026 is a pretty solid saw, and the 041 will probably outlive me. Haven't seen as much about the 032.

Thoughts and advice for the new guy?

Thanks!
El Barbón

026 hands down. 041 and 031/032 are all older saws. IE: heavy and parts will be mostly used off ebay when you need them. 026 is much lighter and can run 18" 325 bar and chain really well. Lighter and more nimble. Opening the muffler and advancing timing a few degrees really peps them up too. $250 is pretty average. I still get $300-$325 for my completely rebuilt 026/260's. I know that's higher than average but my market for used Stihl's is always hot.

Parts from AM and such is pretty good on the 026/260's too. I would replace the fuel and impulse lines and fuel filter as precaution maintenance.

Offer $225 cash and see if you can walk away with it. Remember a small budget for PPE too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D That's kind of what I was leaning towards... The $100 032 sounds like a good bargain, but I don't want to have to search for parts when something goes wrong. Thanks!

Thanks, all. I picked up the 026 and three extra chains for $250. Didn't try to talk him down too much; felt bad for the guy 'cause he was an arborist who'd blown out his rotator cuffs and was reluctantly selling much of his gear. Really clean, and fired right up for me on the first pull. And yes, I checked to see if it was already all warmed up before giving it a tug. :D

can you just cancel and save a few more clams? only one i would even consider running in that bunch is the 026 and even then i likely wouldn't be happy with it. the 032 and 041 are dinosaurs meant to be in a museum. :D i saw the title and assumed you were talking 70cc+. my bad. all i can say as fuel to you CAD is that you deserve much better then those turds. then again, depending on what you have now that 026 might be a hot rod to you.

Thanks, all. I picked up the 026 and three extra chains for $250. Didn't try to talk him down too much; felt bad for the guy 'cause he was an arborist who'd blown out his rotator cuffs and was reluctantly selling much of his gear. Really clean, and fired right up for me on the first pull. And yes, I checked to see if it was already all warmed up before giving it a tug. :D

Those prices where quite fair, at least for this area.

I'm pretty much looking for something that doesn't need a whole lot of attention, strips down fairly easily, and fits somewhere around super-heavy-duty home use or light farm duty.
El Barbón
Before I read your choices, I thought an 034 or 036 sounds like what I'd pick up. 026's are good to, at about 12" diameter in average wood you might wish you had a little more power and speed . Under 12" I find an 026 fast enough for me. Keep chains like new sharp as much as possible and when you refuel your saw, take an half a minute or whatever it takes to remove the air box cover and with some care not to damage tap loose the sawdust build up on the air filter, dump or blow out of the air box so the saw breaths well and runs clean and efficient. Gently blow out the filter when you have time.

You'll be happy with that 026 for many years to come.

I woulda walked from the others as well. If you got new Stihl brand chains in the package you didn't do too poorly on the price at all.

If you get the CAD bite, you'll need another 10 saws. I got infected about a year ago and I lost count on how many saws I have.

When you need "one big saw" (LOL), come to the trading post here. Great bunch O' guys here. Grab a 044 or 038Mag and be done.

Yeap you'll be happy with the 026.never ran a 030 series other than setting the idle on a 031.I do own a 032 but just haven't picked it up to try to start it.worked on a few 041's and they are a great noise maker.not exactly a mcculloch but still has a nice note at wfo.

Latest posts

Back