My First Flippy Cap Incident.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a new husky coming out with flippy caps, just sayin'...

No. They are plain old threaded caps with a folding "key" to turn with.
Allows for lower profile.

The Concessions to Darwins theory are still in the exclusive domain of Stihl.:laugh:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

heres out of the 461 owner manual

View attachment 256798
attachment.php

Any time you have to print an entire page of instructions for what a dadgum cork will do, it SHOULD be obvious that engineers need to be beaten, hog tied, and tossed off the nearest bridge, but seeing as how they are GERMAN engineers, I am surprised it isn't three pages.

"Never use a single component, where four components in an assembly can perform the same function.":bang:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Any time you have to print an entire page of instructions for what a dadgum cork will do, it SHOULD be obvious that engineers need to be beaten, hog tied, and tossed off the nearest bridge, but seeing as how they are GERMAN engineers, I am surprised it isn't three pages.

"Never use a single component, where four components in an assembly can perform the same function.":bang:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hey now, what's wrong with German engineers... :monkey:

:laugh:

Well said!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Well that is certainly one way of looking at it.

I always figured that those of a lesser mental capacity required more instruction to accomplish the same tasks that others just seem to pick up naturally or with less issues. I think the Stihl engineers and document writers have shown an incredible amount of patience by providing additional reading materials as learning aids for those that can't just simply figure out how to work a simple cap, like the rest of the population.

My kids can figure out how to operate the flippy cap. Here is an instructional video for those that can't figure it out. If its too fast for some of you then use the pause button or slow motion.

Sam

I always figured that those of a lesser mental capacity required more instruction to accomplish the same tasks that others just seem to pick up naturally or with less issues. I think the Stihl engineers and document writers have shown an incredible amount of patience by providing additional reading materials as learning aids for those that can't just simply figure out how to work a simple cap, like the rest of the population.

My kids can figure out how to operate the flippy cap. Here is an instructional video for those that can't figure it out. If its too fast for some of you then use the pause button or slow motion.

Sam

Vary nice instructional flippy cap vid :msp_thumbup:

Vary nice instructional flippy cap vid :msp_thumbup:

I thought maybe it was a bit pompous to have my small child show off like that, what with others not being able to figure out the whole system after several attempts, and honestly or in full disclosure, Colton hadn't even taken the liberty to read the instructional manual on how to operate the flippy cap at that point, actually he still hasn't even read the manual.

At this point, I don't know if my son is average or genuis. I always thought he was average with regards to his flippy cap skills, but according to some in this thread and others its takes an Act of God or shear brilliance to operate the flippy cap toward some successful end.

Dunno,

Sam

99% of my costomers have no problem with the flipy caps, 1% can't remember how to release the chain brake

I'm glad I still had that towel next to me tonight; cleaning the screen way to much tonight after reading this thread and the forum :bowdown:

99% of my costomers have no problem with the flipy caps, 1% can't remember how to release the chain brake

Well said.

At some point, those that can't figure out to to repeatedly operate the flippy caps have to look at themselves in the mirror and just say, "Whats your problem? Everyone else can do it, why can't you?"

I think that until these people come to grips with their limitations, be it mental or physical or some combination of both, stihl is just going to have to come out with a video next and maybe little, soft stuffed flippy cap characters and toys, maybe a board game to help these people overcome their limited skill set with regards to the operation of the flippy caps.

I don't see any alternative,

Sam

Well said.

At some point, those that can't figure out to to repeatedly operate the flippy caps have to look at themselves in the mirror and just say, "Whats your problem? Everyone else can do it, why can't you?"

I think that until these people come to grips with their limitations, be it mental or physical or some combination of both, stihl is just going to have to come out with a video next and maybe little, soft stuffed flippy cap characters and toys, maybe a board game to help these people overcome their limited skill set with regards to the operation of the flippy caps.

I don't see any alternative,

Sam

I'm laughing so hard right now! :msp_razz:

i wonder how they start there car hmmm
line up the key push it in and turn to the right and hey presto ya done :confuse:

if you can't work out a flippy got me beat how ya still got all ya limbs :laugh:

Malarkey, the new buzz word

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. I've had several issues with the flippy caps on my 261. Both oil and gas, but usually the oil cap. I have noticed a few things:

• There's not a lot of room around the oil cap for fingers to grasp it without losing visibility of the cap alignment.
  • If you fill up the oil tank, you have just increased the chance of a flippy cap failing to seat fully. Fill it a little short.
  • When you put the cap in place and turn it to tighten, try to pull it out of the tank before you flip the tab into locked position. If you can pull it out, you need a do over before you pour oil or gas all over yourself.

Really we shouldn't need an engineering degree to figure this out, but some days it sure seems that way. Bailey's needs to have someone make them an adapter that locks into the oil/gas tank like a flippy cap, but accepts a traditional screw in cap. Then we can all choose what we want. Unlikely, I know, but I think they could make a ton of money on it.

Well, they already started cluttering up the new saws with cartoon symbols and marks. It's a damn travesty. And to think they even did it on a saw like the 461, which should be aimed at more competent users (myself excluded of course :dizzy:). It's like Fisher-Price is making the saws now...

Sam

It not so much the caps operation thats the hitch, its the failure to seal on the turn it even feels fitted but tish only fooling yer till you start the task and git a leg load:msp_angry:

oh n fuel caps are just fine n dandy now try the little tacker on a flippity oil cap of year old hot motor 023 25 :bang:

or see how they'll break at the weak link of plastic under the hinge after moderate use :(

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. I've had several issues with the flippy caps on my 261. Both oil and gas, but usually the oil cap. I have noticed a few things:

There's not a lot of room around the oil cap for fingers to grasp it without losing visibility of the cap alignment..

Seriously, you have to look at the caps in order to successfully work them. I just grab them and open and close them many times each day, can't say that I ever have to actually think about looking at them. This is on a whole new level of concentration for flippy cap operation. Go on.

If you fill up the oil tank, you have just increased the chance of a flippy cap failing to seat fully. Fill it a little short.

I am the world's worst at over filling my oil tank, never once had a problem, not once.

When you put the cap in place and turn it to tighten, try to pull it out of the tank before you flip the tab into locked position. If you can pull it out, you need a do over before you pour oil or gas all over yourself.

No $hit, you don't say. So if try to seat the cap and you can still pull it out, you should try to seat the cap again. Okay, that is sound advice, sound advice. Kinda like if you don't screw in the screw in caps and they don't seat, then you had better try to screw them in or you will pour oil or gas all over yourself. This is dumb.

Really we shouldn't need an engineering degree to figure this out, but some days it sure seems that way. Bailey's needs to have someone make them an adapter that locks into the oil/gas tank like a flippy cap, but accepts a traditional screw in cap. Then we can all choose what we want. Unlikely, I know, but I think they could make a ton of money on it

You see, this is what I'm talking about, according to this poster, my son is a genius or at least eligible for what I can only assume would be a bachelor's degree in engineering, I mean, what did I say, some people think you have to be super smart to work the flippy cap.

I say forego the high school SAT tests and mental apptitude tests and just sit a Stihl MS260 on the desk in front of the kiddos and ask them to remove and install both flippy caps a minimum of 5 times each. Those that scratch their heads or ask one single dammm question on how to do it, should just simply fail. Those that just simply open and close them the required amount would get an A+ and skip out of futher schooling and step right into a 6 figure engineering career at some areospace company.

Just a thought,

Sam

Latest posts

Back