My First Flippy Cap Incident.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone is still entitled to his own opinion. I'm glad you have not had any issues. I just thought I could contribute something to the discussion from my experience, which apparently does not jive with yours. But really, can't we be civil about it?

Yes, I'm aware of the old western movie phrase," We don't need no stinkin' badges!!"

Well, I'm here to say that not only do we need badges, we need a club or something (special handshake), to let each other know what level we are at mentally, as a result of multiple successful flippy cap cycles. I know, I'm at several thousand cycles and I can't think of any problems, at best once or something, but I can't specifically remember anything noteworthy. I can remember some screw caps leakingon the 660's, I digress.

What do you guys think? Badges?

Sam

Yes, I'm aware of the old western movie phrase," We don't need no stinkin' badges!!"

Well, I'm here to say that not only do we need badges, we need a club or something (special handshake), to let each other know what level we are at mentally, as a result of multiple successful flippy cap cycles. I know, I'm at several thousand cycles and I can't think of any problems, at best once or something, but I can't specifically remember anything noteworthy. I can remember some screw caps leakingon the 660's, I digress.

What do you guys think? Badges?

Sam
yep but i want a hat too

NOT Flippy Cap

The Title to this thread is wrong. It reads "Flippy Cap", but it should have read "Flippin' Cap", or "Frickin' Cap", or...

You get the idea.

I sure do not understand these Flippy threads. Why do people get so offended when they fail? Sure sometimes the end user doesn't seat them proper but for the most part, they fail just like any other man made part. Personally don't understand why Stihl engineered them this way and really don't care as I do not run them. Just have to listen to ticker off customers when the cam or O ring fails. Replace the cap! Been the same since we've tried to contain liquid to a container.

Video of a defective cap.......

[video=youtube_share;Kv2Noz54k_A]http://youtu.be/Kv2Noz54k_A[/video]

Why do people get so offended when they fail?

Umm, maybe because the old screw-on ones from 1969 are still working fine on my dad's old 041 Farm Boss. Or maybe because when one fails and you're way out in bim-fock-nowhere you've got no choice but to throw in the towel and go to town to buy a new one. Or maybe because they are okay with replacing an air filter that gets gunked up over time, or a chain that eventually wears out, or the oil and gas because they got used up, but they are not okay replacing with a critical non-wearing part that seems prone to snapping at a weak section of the device.

I'd expect this sort of engineering out of something sold at Wal-Mart. But I buy Stihl products because of that old 041 Farm Boss, because a 40 year old Stihl still works. I'm not sure that a new Stihl will have that sort of longevity. So why not just buy Wal-Mart crap, if it's all being built that way?

I'm not "so offended", I'm just disappointed that a company I trust so much has embraced these caps. If I owned one of these saws, I'd always carry a replacement of both the oil and gas caps. Frankly, I'd rather just carry a scrench or screwdriver instead, and use the old style of caps. It's why I'll fix my old 026 instead of buying a new saw.

Umm, maybe because the old screw-on ones from 1969 are still working fine on my dad's old 041 Farm Boss. Or maybe because when one fails and you're way out in bim-fock-nowhere you've got no choice but to throw in the towel and go to town to buy a new one. Or maybe because they are okay with replacing an air filter that gets gunked up over time, or a chain that eventually wears out, or the oil and gas because they got used up, but they are not okay replacing with a critical non-wearing part that seems prone to snapping at a weak section of the device.

I'd expect this sort of engineering out of something sold at Wal-Mart. But I buy Stihl products because of that old 041 Farm Boss, because a 40 year old Stihl still works. I'm not sure that a new Stihl will have that sort of longevity. So why not just buy Wal-Mart crap, if it's all being built that way?

I'm not "so offended", I'm just disappointed that a company I trust so much has embraced these caps. If I owned one of these saws, I'd always carry a replacement of both the oil and gas caps. Frankly, I'd rather just carry a scrench or screwdriver instead, and use the old style of caps. It's why I'll fix my old 026 instead of buying a new saw.

I was speaking to the individuals that blame the end user for being an idiot while basically saying all Stihl design is perfect and doesn't fail. I'm obviously not a fan of the flips, as I stated. They are an over engineered "wheel".

Thanks for taking that out of context BTW

Its simply a matter of preference, some are in love with these caps and some hate them. So why such discord from the faithful when someone dares to voice an opinion.

Seriously, I have yet to see in any other topic that someone's level of intelligence is questioned when they claim not to like a brand, feature or whatever. Its PREFERENCE.

Those who resort to infantile ridicule should perhaps grow up a bit. My 2 cents anyway.

I've owned over 18 flippy caps for 7-8+ years, I have had upwards of 5 different cutters using those saws the ages range from 18-39, and I seem to remember replacing one on the 361 after the O-ring started leaking a little oil during storage. I guess it cost me about $4-5. That is a lot of use for only $4-5 dollars. That is literally thousands and thousands of times, that someone didn't have to pull a scrench out of their pocket. I cut for 4 hours yesterday, soft maple, ash and a few pin oaks and tightened my chain 3-4 times using my scrench and never touched my scrench other than those few times, I like that, flippy caps didn't ruin my day.

I guess, I can't draw upon my vast experience with them and come to any conclusion that they have failed me or my operation, and I have yet to find or hire anyone so dumb or ignorant that couldn't operate them successfully within seconds of seeing them, operating manual or no operating manual. I have to rely on the internet to provide me with examples of individuals that can't work them correctly or who always break them. I've never even owned a spare one, ever.

My saws sit on wooden shelves full of AV 100LL and bar oil and the only ones that leak at times are the screw capped saws, and that doesn't even make it to the bottom of the list of daily gripes about life.

Like I said before, if a flippy cap ruins your day or purchasing decisions, then you are truly living a boring or uneventful life ................... I'm not sure I envy that dull of a lifestyle, but I guess its what some individuals aspire to, and that is fine too.

Sam

.... Like I said before, if a flippy cap ruins your day or purchasing decisions, then you are truly living a boring or uneventful life ................... I'm not sure I envy that dull of a lifestyle, but I guess its what some individuals aspire to, and that is fine too.

Sam

Well said.

If man made it, it will fail. I recall a thread on here that talked about the screw cap failures that constently using the scrench to losen (some scrench tighten as well - I don't) the center of the cap breaks out from the threaded portion.

I had an 028 not long ago that needed the screw cap replaced because (I will asume) years of overtightening caused the cap to split... I really cannot form an opinion one way or the other. I use them, I certainly would not convert to a lesser brand :potstir: because I didn't like a single feature.

dw

Last edited:
Wow, been away from the board for a few days.

I am fully aware that it was operator error. Obviously the cap works and has been working on that particular saw for 6 years. Just the first time I've made the mistake of thinking it was locked in when it wasn't. Guess I should have known this would spark a few replies. :)

Wow, been away from the board for a few days.

I am fully aware that it was operator error. Obviously the cap works and has been working on that particular saw for 6 years. Just the first time I've made the mistake of thinking it was locked in when it wasn't. Guess I should have known this would spark a few replies. :)

You should have asked about the pre-mix ratio while you were at it... or throw in teh Stihl vs Husky thing.... anything to :potstir:

dw

You should have asked about the pre-mix ratio while you were at it... or throw in teh Stihl vs Husky thing.... anything to :potstir:

dw

But everyone already knows Stihl is better so what would be the point? :hmm3grin2orange:

I think that the caps straight up suck to be honest. Why mess with a good thing? My old man is always fighting with his caps on the Stihl. He's replaced the odd one a few times, but I still have yet to replace any on my Husky..... :p

Last edited:
Flippy Cap, Threaded Cap, or Cork.... I have experienced the infamous "Crotch Fire" from them all...... 99.99% of the time, it was operator error and blamed it on the cap. And the other 0.01% of the time, well, I STILL blamed it on the cap! :angry:

I was just glad it wasn't fuel running down my leg, that would have burned like a MOFO because I had to finish loading a guys truck up that came to get leftover planks from the mill!

Latest posts

Back