My First Flippy Cap Incident.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mking7

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've always read people ranting about the Stihl flippy caps and thought, "hmmm, I like them"....well, after work tonight I was bucking up some red oaks a neighbor was giving me. I filled up the gas and was having a hard time getting the oil cap back on but thought it was on good.....walked over to the tree, cranked the saw and it happened to die. Pulled it a few times and glanced down...oil soaked jeans and boots. I still don't hate them but it sure irritated me.

I've seen that avatar somewhere before.... You have a twin brother on this site?:dizzy:

The same thing can happen with "regular" caps too (especially if you get distracted and don't put them back on).

You'll hate em after you're 80ft off the ground and your crotch gets soaked in gas. Don't ask me how i know:msp_w00t:

Wait till you dump a tank of fuel down your inner leg. That #### burns worse than analgesic redhot, and redhot ain't no joke. Archimedes got it right the first time...

Yeah Ive done that with those $#$$%%^& flippy caps,but ive also killed a bad case of the crabs doin it too.So flippy caps are good for sumthin after all

I borrowed an MS360 off a coworker on a jobsite I was on, and the fuel cap popped off, soaking my leg. Then it took about 15 tries to get the cap to sit right. I'd never had trouble with them before, but that particular one sure gave me hell.
Note to self- always bring my own saw.

I I filled up the gas and was having a hard time getting the oil cap back on but thought it was on good.....walked over to the tree, cranked the saw and it happened to die. Pulled it a few times and glanced down...oil soaked jeans and boots. I still don't hate them but it sure irritated me.
That's the most common "flippy cap" problem...somehow the oil cap seems fitted but... isn't...and well you now know..!!

Just got to double check them always..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Recently replaced three fuel caps in as many weeks. Like them when they work, hate em when they fail. :bang:

You always have to be smarter than a "flippy cap" :jester:

Note to all new flippy cap users....

Do not fill the tanks completely full... especially the oil. When you do, the flippy cap "appears" to be seated until you pick the saw upright...

I had one incident with my MS360... never happend again...

That also applies to screw caps. Too much oil can get a fluid lock going on making the seemingly secure cap not so secure...

Yeah, that happens, but they dribble. They don't fall the hell out and dump oil down your leg.
Usually they get caught dribbling when started cuz oil flings onto the glasses.:laugh:

I'd rather not have to deal with the stupid flippy going bad at random intervals, that seem to be synchronized with cold ass days when you really don't want to be dinking around with the ridiculous things.

It really is a wonder Stihl hasn't been sued over fuel getting dumped down some yuppies leg, then the said Yuppie getting "whoofed".

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I thought it was just me when I had gas dripping down my leg... LOL Glad to see others are in the same boat, however I really think STIHL should just keep the caps simple. Something that threads in with a thick seal and a nice handle would be all you need..:blob2:

Sure glad I have older saws that use threaded caps, not the new and improved flippy lids.

Latest posts

Back