My First Flippy Cap Incident.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol. yeah but at least husky don't use the toy flippys on there top range saws like stihl does . :hmm3grin2orange:

You have to laugh out loud when you saw those pic's :msp_razz:

Hearing all the guys that don't like the caps on a Stihl saw and low and behold they show up on a Husky chain saw :msp_wink:

....., but I've never personally met anyone that couldn't operate one easily with 100% success everytime.

So its just hard for me to have a problem with something that I don't have a problem with, surely you will understand.

Sam

Indeed, and thus proves the point that we all have different experiences!
I won't diss you for the success, (actually I'm a bit jealous) don't diss us for the failures...ah, isn't life grand...

Hey now, what's wrong with German engineers... :monkey:

:laugh:

I've only had one slight malfunction with the infamous flippy. But I get some mileage out it anywho.

Flippy Cap

Remember the old tune, "Rocky Top?"

Check out this version.

Why do you suppose the engineers
reinvent the wheel?
You can take and twist the Flippy Cap
on but they will not seal.

Bar oil won’t wipe off those Flippy Caps
gets stuck in the crack.
I would trade you all my Flippy Caps
just want my old ones back.

Flippy Cap you’ll always be
A pain in the Butt to meee.
Good, old Flippy Cap
One moving part now three.

Once there was time when you gassed up your chainsaw
Gas her up ‘til she’s filled.
Took chainsaw tool and screwed the cap on
Picked her up she did not spill.

Then Engineers they found 'em a new way
without no chainsaw tool.
Put ‘er on by hand and she was sposta stay
Dribble but she would not drool.

Flippy cap you’ll always be
A leakin’ mystery.
Stuck with Flippy Cap
Flippy Cap stuck on me.

Let me see if I can rattle off a Haiku as well:

Flippy caps suck hard
Oil is on my work pants
Buy a Husqvarna

Creamsicle flavored Kool Aid
Must be operator error this oil river
You are holding it wrong

I don't have tattoos, never saw the point in them.

I have had upwards of about 18+ flippy caps from a Kombi 130 and 260 to the 441's and had to replace one in 361. I log and have cutters that work for me from time to time, so there have been literally thousands and thousands of cycles on the flippy caps in my neck of the woods, and I have had now problems with them, nothing.

In all honesty, I've replaced more screw caps on a 064, 660 and 084 than I have the flippy caps.

So what am I suppose to do, look at those statistics and say they are a dumb idea? I'm just not that illogical.

If they broke or leaked or I myself was too dumb to figure them out, or if I had to hold bi-monthly classes with the workers to get them to full understand their operation, I could see hating the flippy caps, but I've never personally met anyone that couldn't operate one easily with 100% success everytime.

So its just hard for me to have a problem with something that I don't have a problem with, surely you will understand.

Sam

You are extremely lucky if you have never had trouble with the flippy caps.

I've only had one slight malfunction with the infamous flippy. But I get some mileage out it anywho.

Flippy Cap

Remember the old tune, "Rocky Top?"

Check out this version.

Why do you suppose the engineers
reinvent the wheel?
You can take and twist the Flippy Cap
on but they will not seal.

Bar oil won’t wipe off those Flippy Caps
gets stuck in the crack.
I would trade you all my Flippy Caps
just want my old ones back.

Flippy Cap you’ll always be
A pain in the Butt to meee.
Good, old Flippy Cap
One moving part now three.

Once there was time when you gassed up your chainsaw
Gas her up ‘til she’s filled.
Took chainsaw tool and screwed the cap on
Picked her up she did not spill.

Then Engineers they found 'em a new way
without no chainsaw tool.
Put ‘er on by hand and she was sposta stay
Dribble but she would not drool.

Flippy cap you’ll always be
A leakin’ mystery.
Stuck with Flippy Cap
Flippy Cap stuck on me.

Pretty good!

You are extremely lucky if you have never had trouble with the flippy caps.

One flippy cap incident because I (the operator) wasn't paying attention. I actually like them.. no scrench, screwdriver, or pliers because the screwdriver slot was wallar'd out

Flippy caps are over engineered yuppie gadgets. They make a great saw look silly and feel like crap.:laugh:
Most people hate them, so how long is going to take Stihl to finally listen to the end users?????

Replaced three floppies since my last post here. 0 standard caps. Just sayin:msp_unsure:

Replaced three floppies since my last post here. 0 standard caps. Just sayin:msp_unsure:

LOL!!

I logged on to find this thread, and post that our BT45 Auger puked Flippy cap #4 this afternoon, while punching holes for wood stack uprights. POS has to be manually turned clockwise before reinserting, or the thing acts like it has seated, but will pop loose after 2-3 Min. of running.

Just a STUPID, and ridiculous design that has no advantage, even when the damn things work.

Taking your lead, the 346 and 372 have at least 100 more hours of run time on them since the last flippy failed on that auger, neither need replacing, and they are still running thier original caps.
Shocking, but there it is.:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You guys have me wanting to make a note to play with a flippy cap
when my leaf shuffler parts come in at the dealer.

sounds like it's a close cousin to the flip lever radiator cap.

I gather it's got three tabs,
in a asymmetrical pattern,
If so, I wonder what made them choose that ??
(i'm guessing so that they line up with orientation marks on saw body)
But it seems that if they just fit in ,regardless of direction
people would be more likely to get them seated properly.

if they're really so much trouble and no threads in the tank neck.
i wonder if you guys could swap 'em for a bilge plug.
Still a flipper, but no directionality and
probably way too easy to accidentally flip the lever open....sigh...
Would have to be an area of uninterupted surface to seal off though
as the tab grooves would cause a leak.
Also is the plug made from something that will handle the exposure
to gas & oil.

If I were a congressman I would attempt to start a bill that would ban flippy caps.

Lol

My local Stihl dealer loves them. Every time one fails, he sells a chain or bar oil. Says it may tick customers off but it gets them to stop in and buy consumables.

You'll hate em after you're 80ft off the ground and your crotch gets soaked in gas. Don't ask me how i know:msp_w00t:

I had that happend on the ground after I thought the freaking thing was closed. But being up in a tree really must make a man grit his teeth. For one you just covered your leg in oil or gas and you just lost most if not all of your oil and gas. I know it's not that hard to close them but sometimes your moving fast and you think they are closed and then it happens and you want to throw the god damn saw in the woods or maybe thats just me. I like both my husquvarna and stihl but thoses caps piss me off sometimes.

Well said.

At some point, those that can't figure out to to repeatedly operate the flippy caps have to look at themselves in the mirror and just say, "Whats your problem? Everyone else can do it, why can't you?"

I think that until these people come to grips with their limitations, be it mental or physical or some combination of both, stihl is just going to have to come out with a video next and maybe little, soft stuffed flippy cap characters and toys, maybe a board game to help these people overcome their limited skill set with regards to the operation of the flippy caps.

I don't see any alternative,

Sam
Yeah, well it shouldnt be a guessing game sometimes you close those things and its seems shut. When your trying to make money you don't need too be playing games with a design that really does not make the saw more efficient.

Yeah, well it shouldnt be a guessing game sometimes you close those things and its seems shut. When your trying to make money you don't need too be playing games with a design that really does not make the saw more efficient.

I don't play games with Flippy Caps, I just use them and have no troubles for years so far. I'm sorry you can't figure them out, I could have one of my children give you some lessons on how to open and close them successfully they've been doing it for about 5 years now and they are 12-13 years old now. Actually they both run MS 261's and have no flippy problems, but you know how kids are these days, they can figure out those incredibly hard and comlex systems that make older folks just scratch there heads, I'm only 36 ........ I must fall into the younger, smarter group too......... I feel good in making that "cut" mentally, as it would be hard to face the mirror or my kids or those on this forum with the concept that Flippy Cap Complexity had beaten me mentally and I was unable to rise to the challenge that they must apparently present to the average Joe. To be quite honest, I had always thought they were a simple and fast invention, it wasn't until I got onto this site that I started to understand how truly difficult it was to operate them successfully, sometimes it better to stay in the dark on certain things, as now I feel lucky to have not spilled oil on my leg at the end of each day.

Sam

Back