My first Jonsered!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icedogs28

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Iv been checking ebay daily for a clean 52E, 70E or 49SP. but lately they have been selling for STUPID money! (like $200) for a 49sp or 52E). so iv been waiting... finally one showed up, 49SP with good paint, $135 with free shipping, still more than i wanted to spend, but given whats out there, i jumped on it! it just arrived today. i cleaned her inside and out, and just gassed her up! best part is, she runs even better than she looks! tomorrow i will be in santa cruz and i have an oak that iv been eyeballing.. sounds like a good test for the new saw!

Great saw with or without the S

My first saw was a 70E. I still prefer the red and black. With big business the way it is I personally am glad they are still available. Even without the s.

You found a nice looking one, congratulations.

My first saw was a 70E. I still prefer the red and black. With big business the way it is I personally am glad they are still available. Even without the s.

You found a nice looking one, congratulations.

Not much black on the 49SP though - as far as I know, it is the only Jonsered(s) made after 1960 that doesn't have a "silver" or black top cover.

The old 49er. Still putting smiles on peoples faces 30+ years later :)

Yup, one of two "older" saws that I keep in the "fueled and ready to go" pile and use fairly regular. (The other is a 70E).

And they really don't feel all that old to me either. :biggrin:

Iv been checking ebay daily for a clean 52E, 70E or 49SP. but lately they have been selling for STUPID money! (like $200) for a 49sp or 52E). so iv been waiting... finally one showed up, 49SP with good paint, $135 with free shipping, still more than i wanted to spend, but given whats out there, i jumped on it! it just arrived today. i cleaned her inside and out, and just gassed her up! best part is, she runs even better than she looks! tomorrow i will be in santa cruz and i have an oak that iv been eyeballing.. sounds like a good test for the new saw!

Where in Santa Cruz are you cutting?

I found a 70E not running last year for $40 and a 49SP last month for $35. They both had disintegrated fuel lies and they were running. I need a bar and chain for the 49SP.

Where in Santa Cruz are you cutting?

I found a 70E not running last year for $40 and a 49SP last month for $35. They both had disintegrated fuel lies and they were running. I need a bar and chain for the 49SP.

hey bob,
i cut an apple tree at that ranch i was telling you about, on Happy Valley.

good news is, the saw runs and cuts great! not the speed demon that the modern day 50cc saws are, but torquey and just pulls right along (thats really more my style) i love it! Like spike said, this one will stay in the "fueled and ready to go" group!

My wife said i looked "way to excited" after cutting the apple tree.... so she took this picture... LOL

anyone else's 49sp have a rogue oil pump? after i turn it off, about every 30 seconds i hear and see the oil pump squirt out some oil... almost like it thinks the saw is still on... very odd.. just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this

I guess not....
Well iv been experimenting with it.... If I rev it and shut it down quickly after, the oiler will hum and pump out oil about every 30 seconds like i mentioned. But if I let it idle for 15-20 seconds before I shut it off, it will not oil randomly after it is shut down... Has anyone else seen this? Guess I will be letting mine idle down.

Back