My first port job!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I got her all done today! Ported my MS460. I had previously smeared the OEM piston and cylinder and had put on an NWP big bore kit to get me through the summer work I needed to do. So today I cleaned the Mahle jug and gave her a basic woods port and decked the jug. I just widened the intake and exhaust as much as the skirts would allow and opened the upper transfers towards the intake as much as the ring pins would allow. I took about .020 off the bottom of the jug with emery paper on a glass slab and used the oem gasket (cannot buy any Dirko/Yamabond/Hondabond anywhere in a 100mile radius of here...). Squish is at .025 so I might run a popcan gasket if I feel like it later. Compression is only at 150 but that was after 5 minutes of run time when hot. I gave it a proper hone with a 3 stone brake hone and it has caber rings and a Meteor piston. It was too late to work her so I only cut a few cookies and tuned her up but she sure has some snap now! Very glad I finally got the balls to grind!

How much of a gain did you notice ZC?

I have been wanting to port something also. Don't know what yet, but something.

Sounds like you did I good job ob it. If it runs and cuts faster than before, I call that a great job. :clap:

Before coming here, I did not even think of porting anything, but it sure sounds like something I will try in the near future.

Do you have any before and after pics?
:yourock:

Guys, I didn't take pics of the work. I was so nervous crappin my pants worryin if it would blow up that I didn't even think of it.

Basically, just read the porting threads with pics! The info is all here. All I did was widen all the ports. Huge difference and well worth it for no money invested. I'm positive the more technical guys could get much more out of it but this didn't cost me a dime in terms of paying someone to do it and the gains are really there. The best thing is the throttle response! You pull the trigger and she just explodes. Love it. Also holds the revs when it hits wood. She just goes man! I had this carb tuned to 12,500 before porting and afterwards it turned 13,500 and was 4 stroking like crazy without changing the carb from previous settings. I think I'll leave it there to break in and then run 14,000 when she's had some work on her.

I have a 460 big bore kit that is like new sitting on my bench that I might do next and degree it first and ask how to get the most out of it. The jug I ground had been smeared and had a small plating chip in the exhaust so I looked at it as no huge loss if I messed it up. So that's why I started on it instead of the NWP jug. I think all of my saws are gettin ported in the future...:) :):chainsawguy::chainsawguy:

Wow, ZC, you really lightened that thing... my first one I just tickled the jug a little with the dremel. Good on ya for jumping in with both feet.

(Hey, Clint!)

Good on ya. Its always the hardest to do the first one! Now they just get easier. Ya ever want any machine work, just let me know.

Still thinking of what to do with my fleet of 200T's! At least one will get a popup I'm sure!

I'm really good at taking them apart now....

and putting all the parts in boxes....

and staring at the parts in boxes...

I must have taken lessons from Nik

Wow, ZC, you really lightened that thing... my first one I just tickled the jug a little with the dremel. Good on ya for jumping in with both feet.

(Hey, Clint!)

yup, I went as wide as possible. I was so nervous because I though I might catch a ring end. I even did the transfers with a cut off wheel. My balls grew two sizes today

Still thinking of what to do with my fleet of 200T's! At least one will get a popup I'm sure!

I'm really good at taking them apart now....

and putting all the parts in boxes....

and staring at the parts in boxes...

I must have taken lessons from Nik

ha ha. ya, I got lots of projects to stare at.

Latest posts

Back