My first pro saw. 550 xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are you so set against the NK? I had a 353 that rocked with it.
Hopefully you don't have a narrow kerf bar and chain on that saw - if so, change to regular .325, and use LPX chain (BPX or RM if you want semi-chisel).

Try a .325x8 rim instead of jumping to 3/8", .325 is nicer to use on the smaller saws. The "gearing" will be slightly larger with .325x8 than with 3/8"x7.

I ordered the 18 x 325 x .050 Sugi Hara earlier today for $87 shipped.

Why 18":
I already have chains that fit, and I'm on the one saw plan and do a large variety of tasks with the same saw.

Why 325:
I don't own anything else in 3/8 (yet ;)), so I wouldn't gain the benefits of bar & chain interchangeability or one sharpening setup
I don't believe that it will cut faster (energy lost to cutting a wider kerf without benefits present for larger saws and bars of chip clearing etc..)
I don't believe that it will stay sharp any longer. 3/8's cutting edge cant be any more robust (assuming same style chain and amount of hook) and 3/8 chain has less cutting edges doing the work (because of the fewer number of teeth), so more wear on those edges.

Why .050:
I wanted to be able to use the loops I already have that are .050". I don't have a problem with less chain selection as I am fine with Oregon's offerings.

Why Sugi Hara:
Most others only available in .058". You guys told me they were good and I thought I'd splurge.

I just thought I'd share the reasons I came up with based on the info I gathered.

I ordered the 18 x 325 x .050 Sugi Hara earlier today for $87 shipped.

Why 18":
I already have chains that fit, and I'm on the one saw plan and do a large variety of tasks with the same saw.

Why 325:
I don't own anything else in 3/8 (yet ;)), so I wouldn't gain the benefits of bar & chain interchangeability or one sharpening setup
I don't believe that it will cut faster (energy lost to cutting a wider kerf without benefits present for larger saws and bars of chip clearing etc..)
I don't believe that it will stay sharp any longer. 3/8's cutting edge cant be any more robust (assuming same style chain and amount of hook) and 3/8 chain has less cutting edges doing the work (because of the fewer number of teeth), so more wear on those edges.

Why .050:
I wanted to be able to use the loops I already have that are .050". I don't have a problem with less chain selection as I am fine with Oregon's offerings.

Why Sugi Hara:
Most others only available in .058". You guys told me they were good and I thought I'd splurge.

I just thought I'd share the reasons I came up with based on the info I gathered.

Good choice you should be happy.

The .325 chain does pull easier and seems to stay sharp as long or longer because each tooth is doing less work vs 3/8. That is just what I have noticed on running both chains on the same powerhead in clean hardwood.

H23 is 20LPX, and the setup you got would have worked fine on the 346xp etc, but as you now know, not on the 550xp (and many other saws).

For the H23/20LPX, you can use any .325 .050 bar that isn't a NK bar, as long as the dl count adds up.

I have been running 20LPX on a narrow kerf bar with no issues on my 545. I don't see what the issue is?

Latest posts

Back