My first Stihl: brought home a 066 Magnum today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keen99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys - been a lurker for a while, been trying to figure out what to add to my small saw collection - the 42" oak that took a lightning strike a few years back needs to come down, and my cs400 is -not- up to that task. :)

So for less than half the price of a drop-and-leave, I picked this up - 32 and 25" bars, a few chains, a granberg file-n-joint, and a few other bits and pieces. At $400, probably not a good enough deal to qualify for the suck thread, but compared to the prices I was finding on 50-70cc saws, seemed like a good deal!

Fires right up, and feels ok - I'll probably stick a compression tester on it next weekend, hopefully my shop will back back into good enough shape to do some saw maintenance.

With this, my echo cs-400, and cs355t and a variety of powered pole saws, hopefully I can limit the addiction. :)

IMG_8890 1.JPG IMG_8892 1.JPG 00Q0Q_icDQ7uLhWGT_1200x900.jpg

As much as I am a Husky guy, the Stihls do grow on you. And that is a fine example of a great saw from what I've heard. Nice buy!

I got burned on a few pieces of big box store husky - loved they way they ran, but the trimmer head running a 6" pole saw would spin clutches and cable joints in under an hour (most of the cutting I do is using a small pole saw as a clearing saw) - and the ~~40cc saw (forgotten to time now, probably '12 era) I bought I went through 3 of them back to back that the chain brake would engage randomly when cutting. And on the local used market, there just wasn't much out there to shop for - but I was definitely tempted by the 372. :)

I got burned on a few pieces of big box store husky - loved they way they ran, but the trimmer head running a 6" pole saw would spin clutches and cable joints in under an hour (most of the cutting I do is using a small pole saw as a clearing saw) - and the ~~40cc saw (forgotten to time now, probably '12 era) I bought I went through 3 of them back to back that the chain brake would engage randomly when cutting. And on the local used market, there just wasn't much out there to shop for - but I was definitely tempted by the 372. :)
372xp is one of the most popular saws. Not many people are disappointed in theirs.

That 066 should serve you well

based on the serial - 139291661 - sounds like this is the '98-'02 variation, which is what I suspected from the pictures and the owners description. Probably going to have to swap on the dual port exhaust cover and figure out how to tune it... :)

Very nice and you do suck. I'd love to find a nice piece for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an awesome deal big stihl guy looking to increase my collection myself and that will definitely look good in the collection case, I mean garage. If money wasn't an issue the fun we could have with toys:chainsaw::clap::rock:

Yep, you suck.

If you bought the two bars, the scabbards, the chains, and the file and joint new, you wouldn't be too far from $400. Probably closer to $300, but really that's a great price on that saw.

If that was on my local Craigslist, it would have been listed at $800 easy.

based on the serial - 139291661 - sounds like this is the '98-'02 variation, which is what I suspected from the pictures and the owners description. Probably going to have to swap on the dual port exhaust cover and figure out how to tune it... :)
Product Registration

Registered to : XYZ
ELLENVILLE, NY 12428-5326
USA
Date Purchased : 06/19/1998

Primary Use : Homeowner

Product Registration

Registered to : XYZ
ELLENVILLE, NY 12428-5326
USA
Date Purchased : 06/19/1998

Primary Use : Homeowner

thanks! that matches up to the PO's story - he bought it ~~6 years ago from a guy that hardly used it, and he just moved down to the beach from NY - and as much as he wanted to keep it, his 3rd-row-from-the-atlantic house doesn't have much opportunity to use it anymore. And the house is sans kitchen so he needs the $ way more than the saw. :)

and btw thanks to everyone involved with aboristsite - community, mods, and behind the scenes - putting together and keeping together such a great reference.

If that buy isn't a you suck it has to be darned close. They aren't giving bars and chains away and the guy threw in a saw to sweeten the pot.
There shouldn't be much you can't tackle with that set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back