my first stihl...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4cyl2vy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My boss came by today and dropped this off in the welding shop for me. My first stihl in 15+ saws. Stihl maybe 040? It's missing a few of the top parts and the whole rear handle section, but it has some serious compression. I will have to check it on my compression tester(betting 155psi at least) and check for spark as well but that will be a bit later on tonight.

Does anyone have any ideas what model it might be or if the serial number can narrow it down? Or where might the serial number be on this saw? Most of the parts for 040's saws interchange? I would like to get the AV handle setup if possible. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the brother hood, your testosterone level just went up 50 points. You will also need to get your man card punched. To reflect this change in your manhood. Also be ready for woman to throw there self at you, men will not want to make eye contact with you.

Welcome to the brother hood, your testosterone level just went up 50 points. You will also need to get your man card punched. To reflect this change in your manhood. Also be ready for woman to throw there self at you, men will not want to make eye contact with you.
Tell it like it is brother

I couldn't resist. The saw has 170 psi of compression and spark. Pics of the rear handle area.

IMG_20140328_175138.jpg

I suppose a limb fell on it or off a truck bed, who knows. Time to start looking around on eBay I guess.

Definately looks like an early 041. Those were meat an' 'tater saws in their day. Still quite a few around running. Welcome to the site! Dave C.

There's a recent thread I believe about a member rebuilding a 041 for his dad I think

Dont bother on that to hard,,,,very common heavy underpowered antique saw.
a good runner worth maybe $100 if in nice shape.
keep an eye out for another free donor saw and then work on it for the fun of it.

Looks like a 041, I have one minus the carb. Been looking on ebay for a while to rebuild mine as well. Good luck.

I found the serial number on the saw. "It is 4480936, any ideas what the year of manufacture or the model was? It looks to be an early farm boss 041 but i would love to know the year of manufacture if possible. Thanks for all the help so far. The rear handle/fuel line replacement parts search is going on. I cant wait to bring this one back to life.

Year of manufacturer isn't important at all. Don't worry about. It's not a Chevelle. :)

I am not worried about it, I would just like to know they year this saw came to be. It's interesting to know the history of it.

Old, that's all that matters. And the way that stihl doesn't keep records of what year saws were built it makes it real difficult.

I got one of those it's a early 041 farm boss. All mine needed when I got it was the fuel lines where run to the carb backwards . You will see they are kind of routed kind of funny . Ran it twice and both times the carb rattled loose . Make sure you got a good spark plug boot or you will get a surprise like I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And now my second stihl. This came from the same person, cleaning out the back of their shop and knows I have an addiction.

P1010957.jpg

P1010958.jpg

P1010972.jpg

One question though, where does this yellow w/green srtipe wire in the top left side of picture 3 go? It is broken off of the ring and i am not sure where to secure it to once I repair it.

The saw has 150 psi of compression and spark at the moment but needs the sprocket cover and the air filter cover as well. The clutch drum is shot and i am going to order a replacement in .325 and try out one of the NK bar and chain setups from baileys with it i think. I guess fuel lines and the intake boot should be changed as well. Damm you CAD.

Latest posts

Back