My life, my workbench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it a Holder tractor? We've been looking for one for years and can't find them.

Had two of those about 20 years back. Were a common thing here in the '60s, used when the native forests had been cleared and areas were being replanted in exotics.
The ones I had we used in thinning blocks of pine, used them to haul skid sleds loaded with thinnings cut to length and dropped them at a landing to be debarked and peeled into fence posts through an old Skillings peeler........ those were the days....... :muscle:

@president Holder tractors were pretty neat.. They have much more modern ones now, used a lot in cities (because they can afford them), and up north

Yeah, I'm not talking those fancy things with cabs and heaters- I mean the ones from the late 1950-60's. They were cool, small enough to snake through trees left after thinning and would go just about anywhere you pointed them!

Yeah, I'm not talking those fancy things with cabs and heaters- I mean the ones from the late 1950-60's. They were cool, small enough to snake through trees left after thinning and would go just about anywhere you pointed them!
Not a great pic, but this kind
Holder.jpg

Do you know of the Ford County tractors? They were kinda like a bigger version of them based on Ford 5000's and such.. They weren't articulated but had 4 large tires.. Those things pull really hard.. Here's ours with the subsoiler on it, you can bury those shanks right to the frame
20170531_185556s.jpg

View attachment 749350

Do you know of the Ford County tractors? They were kinda like a bigger version of them based on Ford 5000's and such.. They weren't articulated but had 4 large tires.. Those things pull really hard.. Here's ours with the subsoiler on it, you can bury those shanks right to the frame
View attachment 749353

Yep- those are the ones. Great wee toys for the bush.

Yes, familiar with the County- were not as popular here as perhaps they were in the UK and Ireland, they still have a good following in Ireland.

View attachment 749350

View attachment 749353
your pics reveal what nice country you live in Effrom

Yep- those are the ones. Great wee toys for the bush.

Yes, familiar with the County- were not as popular here as perhaps they were in the UK and Ireland, they still have a good following in Ireland.
I had a parts machine, a guy in Australia bought the oil pan (cast aluminum), $400 USD + $250 in shipping.. Said it was the last thing he needed for his restoration that he couldn't find anywhere!

Well, been a while since I updated this... HELP, we might have an addiction, we've bought 3 tractors since October!

We're going to pick up this row cropper tomorrow
00n0n_7BsbP6qiWuE_600x450.jpg 00F0F_i9ZcBwfUhvr_600x450.jpg

This is one of the Holders we bought last year, it had been repowered with a car engine, now I've repowered it with a Hatz diesel, just doing the finishing touches to it now... charging system, wiring.. it's got a nice stainless exhaust on it now instead of that ugly thing.. I've been through the whole thing top to bottom, new seals everywhere, fixed a bunch of hokey shite.. it's nice to drive, gobs of torque.. can idle as low as 450 RPM at which point you swear it's hardly moving.
20200122_211537.jpg 20200122_211546.jpg

This one we bought in September? October?, the original 500cc 2 stroke Sachs diesel.. it's got lots of new seals and such in it too.. did a head gasket as well.
20200114_141304.jpg

Has it really been a year since I posted????
Haven't done much on saws except use them...
Got 2 more Dodge trucks, a '93 diesel 5 speed with 100K miles, but rough miles, and a '91 gasser half ton mostly bought for body parts.

Otherwise, it's baby season around here again!
"Look at what I made!!"
20210228_092412.jpg

Grandma making sure daughter is doing things right
20210224_150215.jpg

This is a first time momma that did a real good job, watching them nurse happily never gets old

Got a new injector pump project for one of my trucks, I'm shooting for a 1000hp build, don't know if I'll succeed, but this pump can do it... no one's ever used one of these so it's going to be a LOT learning to make it work.. I have new set of pistons, some head studs, ARP rod bolts and supporting stuff.
20210201_234133.jpg

Oh, meanwhile, here's that 920 that was straight gassed.. cleaned up the cylinder, deburred the piston (It really ought to be replaced but... meh), new Caber ring on it, she sounds alright.. Trent bought it from me.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KKtA3wkZjPnfmFkL9
Effrom , I have an extra good 920 cyl if you,or Trent need one
2 different cylinders were made for them
early ones were open port and latter ones were closed

Has it really been a year since I posted????
Haven't done much on saws except use them...
Got 2 more Dodge trucks, a '93 diesel 5 speed with 100K miles, but rough miles, and a '91 gasser half ton mostly bought for body parts.

Otherwise, it's baby season around here again!
"Look at what I made!!"
View attachment 892484

Grandma making sure daughter is doing things right
View attachment 892485

This is a first time momma that did a real good job, watching them nurse happily never gets old

Got a new injector pump project for one of my trucks, I'm shooting for a 1000hp build, don't know if I'll succeed, but this pump can do it... no one's ever used one of these so it's going to be a LOT learning to make it work.. I have new set of pistons, some head studs, ARP rod bolts and supporting stuff.
View attachment 892487

My my I hope you realize how fortunate your are to live in that part of the country. Simply gorgeous.

I like that river basin, have followed it from Jasper to Prince George, down to Williams Lake, on down to Vancouver. Spent several days In Lilloeet on two different trips out that way, really interesting country in behind the mountains.
yeah, there's a lot of no-mans-land out there and its not very far away.. I like the dry side of the mountains

Latest posts

Back