My life, my workbench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:angry: I was not looking at the whole picture on the Jonsered transfer ports.. forgot about the piston ports which feed it too (probably mostly)

So I rounded off the piston ports, got rid of the casting flash and a little more, then did what I could to match up the sides of the transfer ports... impossible to get it perfect on the one side, just not enough meat in the cylinder to muck with and the attack angle is pretty miserable, but the other side is good. I aimed for a port opening of 100/120/77, and ended up with 101/122/78 (durations of 158/116/154 with a blowdown of 21)... I would have liked a little more on the transfers but the top ring is too high for me to go much further.. I think the saw will be nicely woken up anyhow. Stock numbers were 105/124/70, or in durations 150/112/140 with a 19* blowdown

Calculated cranking compression should go from 154 PSI to 170 PSI.. Corrected compression ratio from 5.7:1 to 6.2:1

Hated the intake port.. miserable design.. no room on the sides before it short circuits the transfers, and no meat before you go through the hose barb. I'll test it out in the next couple days hopefully.

OK, the Jonsered 920 runs like a raped ape now, buddy was really happy with it... sharpened the chain right and on a 14" pine log you could put your weight into it and it would just keep pulling even with a pretty aggressive raker setting.. He's giving it the full test this weekend in real wood and I'll get feedback from that.

Now I'm on to his Echo CS46oo.. that just needs an oil pump drive gear, and it looks like it'll be a little lathe work as the gears are NLA and seem to be a common failure point on those saws. I might pop the Echo apart and clean it up a little as well.

got 5 more saws to work on... 3 are probably doable.. 2100xp with great compression.. but only has a pull cord about 16" long, makes it really hard to try starting it.. has spark, so it's probably fuel related.. will be tearing into it and practicing porting a little on it. 056 super, 036? are candidates for getting going as well.. Another Poulan 4218AVX with ZERO compression, and a Homelite XL12 with minimal compression.. not much hope for either of those.

Thanks.. that may someday get a Cummins 12V 5.9.. It would drop in nicely if you can figure out the bellhousing/clutch..
There's very few 90hp tractors that can out pull that ford... it may not look like it, but it weighs about 16,000 lbs

I love the big front tires. I have a much smaller four wheel drive tractor with the same size tires all around. It is articulated in the middle. Reminds me of a skidder. Looks like a tractor pullers dream.

got 5 more saws to work on... 3 are probably doable.. 2100xp with great compression.. but only has a pull cord about 16" long, makes it really hard to try starting it.. has spark, so it's probably fuel related.. will be tearing into it and practicing porting a little on it. 056 super, 036? are candidates for getting going as well.. Another Poulan 4218AVX with ZERO compression, and a Homelite XL12 with minimal compression.. not much hope for either of those.

cylinder and piston kit for the xl 12
http://www.lilredbarn.net/product-p/a69714.htm

Yes. Ag3. It has a screaming two stroke diesel. I've never seen another one.
30 years ago my dad was a farm manager and they had one.. we've been looking for one actually... I had a good guess as to what that thing was ;) Send me a pic of it!

Thanks for the links, but $160 is a little much investment into that saw.. it's going to be $250 by the time I get it here.. I don't have CAD that badly!

I got the 2100 fired up.. still on the very stale fuel.. the carb fuel elbow was cracked (common problem), and the float needle arm was broken.. Fixed that.. The pull cord was only 16" long, so it was a real bear to crank over.. I put a longer one on, stealing it from the compressionless poulan. This 2100 may have other issues though.. I can't get it to idle down with the throttle plates totally closed, so I will have to look for vacuum leaks.. and check the crank seals... it has 135 PSI compression and sounds pretty healthy otherwise.. probably should be a little higher but it'll do for a while yet.

Since the title of this thread is "My life My workbench", here's some non chainsaw related pics.. This little girl is about 18 hours old and a first time momma hasn't quite figured out 'mini me' and what to do with her yet

20150311_130314sm.jpg

And the oldest calf (about 10 days old) playing a bit

Alrighty.. Got the 2100 running nicely.. it's all ported and muffler modded now.. 165 PSI compression.... DAMN a 34" bar without a skiptooth chain takes EONS to sharpen.. especially when it was done all wrong the last time, worn half way, and the rakers never touched... about 10 strokes on each cutter and 6 on each raker... times what? 60 cutters?
The 2100 required a lot of machine work to get it right... it was an aftermarket P&C on it (don't know which), but the squish with the gasket was about .080".. without it was .047", so I shaved a bunch of the base and got the squish to .o10", then trimmed the piston .015" in the squish band so I ended up with .028" squish all around.. I didn't degree my ports, but naturally the intake increased by virtue of the lower cylinder, and I raised the exhaust a little more than I lowered the cylinder

The 028 woodboss fired as well, sounds nice, but has something funky in the ignition that kills it.. doesn't look like frayed kill switch wires, I disconnected them all and it's still doing it.. I'll have to check the crank bearings and coil clearance. Has 130 PSI compression.. could be better. top AV mount is buggered, missing clutch cover.. maybe it can still be found

The 056 Super fired up as well... but not nicely.. took the carb apart, diaphragms were rock hard... and on the pump side the gasket was on the wrong side of it, so of course the valves couldn't possibly work... cleaned it up and put good used diaphragms in and she's sounding pretty happy again. Also 130 PSI compression

The Echo CS4600 oil pump is done, that one is out of my hair... buddy was furious at the saw shop.. first they sell him a 18" bar for it with a 16" chain, goes back, gets an 18" chain, comes back here to put it on.. well be darned if they didn't sell him a .050" bar and .058" chain!

Enough for a day!

I have a smaller trailer I tow behind my XR500, and yes, loaded with wood or hay... The XR500 skidded 5 cords of firewood down the mountain, where you'd never get an ATV to go.. I'll dig up a picture sometime

Decided to put some fuel into that little XL12.. it fired even though I could have sworn it would never have the compression to do it... Carb again was a mess... metering lever was set so low it was impossible for it to open the inlet valve.. fixed that, then found out the fuel line in the tank was completely disintegrated.. put another piece (just vacuum hose) in and it actually seems to run OK... probably would have more power if it had better compression though. Has an 18" hard nose .058x.375 bar on it, which may be a little much for that saw.

Well, I returned the 2100 to the owner, it was cackling quite happily at idle hopping across the lawn, and revs aggressively too.. wasn't able to get the chain to cut quite right, but it's still a lot better than it was. I found out there's LOTS of 2100's in the neighborhood, and most need a little TLC.. Looks like I'll be getting some practice at this in the future :)

Now tonight I'll tear into the 056 and see what I can make it do.. unfortunately it has no bar, so I won't be able to really test it.. oh well.

OK, I *finally* got that $%^$#% Stihl apart.. a pound of Tannerite would have been a quicker, easier way to accomplish the same task.. After how easy it is to work on the 2100 this 056 is like getting wisdom teeth pulled.
P&C are like new and OEM, rings are tolerable, I think it's gonna run good once I'm through with it.. Wish I had a dunk tank to clean it off though

OK, so it's not going to do it justice, but here's a quick vid of the 2100 as I dropped it off.. didn't have any wood to cut :(

Oh, and I picked up a Husky 61 and 65 today for free.. both complete except bars, and should run with minimal work...

OK, so it's not going to do it justice, but here's a quick vid of the 2100 as I dropped it off.. didn't have any wood to cut :(

Kinda got that "vintage" 750 Honda look going on with it

Attachments

• crash bar wrap.jpg
    crash bar wrap.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back