My life, my workbench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda got that "vintage" 750 Honda look going on with it

Yes it does!.. and well used too. you should have seen it when I got it.. the whole thing looked like a gob of grease covered in horse hair.. turns out the bar was really nice!.. friend of mine has a plastic welder that I used to fix the cover up.

As for the 2 husky's I picked up, the 61 is going to require more investment than I'm willing to put into it until I find a donor saw.. it's in really good shape, but to really be right I'd have to put an ignition system and P&C into it.. it got overheated, 110 PSI compression and some cylinder scoring, the fan area was absolutely plugged with greasy sawdust, as were most of the cooling fins.. so little surprise there.. don't figure that should have killed the ignition but it did.

The 65 needs a fuel line, it feels like it has better compression, so I'll see when I tear it down.. I need ignition parts for another saw if it turns out pooched anyhow.

I expect a little time spent servicing HVAC evap coils
or some minor repairs of comercial cooking equipment
Would be quite an yey opener for some of the folks here.
You'd be amzed at what a "little" layer of grime will do to heat/cold transfer
of equipment.
oily layers will carry heat from the jug to the coil, even better.

I think NASA's even got a few Bazillion dollars invested in the study of of it!

It was surprising the flywheel could turn in the goop that was in there, so I'm not surprised it overheated.. must have been smoking quite a bit too.

The free Husky 65 is in great shape though, 155 PSI compression and it hasn't run in 10 or 20 years.. I'm fandangling a fuel line together with some soft hose and sealing it with windshield urethane.. won't be a permanent solution, but i'll get to test it out before I spend money on a new fuel line.. it'll be on the bailey's parts order list in triplicate. The bar/chain from the Homelite XL12 fits it nicely and is in good shape, while the XL12 will get a Poulan bar/chain if the pitch is the same..

That darned XL12 with only 100 PSI compression fired on the second pull, and started on the 3rd.. not bad for a POS saw!

Got the free 65 running today.. seemed to lack bottom end power in the cut, so I took the top end off, piston and cylinder are in excellent shape, but I didn't feel like doing port work today so I swapped a pair I'd already worked ported onto it.. MUCH better now.. should recheck the compression.. probably about the same though

Yesterday I got my sheet of aluminum CNC plasma cut for my '94 dodge front bumper.. it took MONTHS of drafting in autocad (Because I'm not that good at it) to get it to look how I wanted it to. Plasma cutting went OK, not perfect, but close enough for this job,.. the table was only a 4'x4' table, so we had to re-index it at halfway, and it's not easy to get that right. Will have lots of grinding to do on the edges yet. Now the trick will be to weld it without turning it into a pretzel!.. Weld from the center outward I guess and maybe preheat the whole thing, or let it cool between welds.

Anyhow, It's only tacked together so far, but here's how it looks
View attachment 404634
nice work cattleman!

OK, I got the porting done on the 056.. hate those darned hose barb intakes.. yes, I know I'm repeating myself! All in all I think I got it looking pretty good, middle-of-the-road porting job, .035" squish.. I think it'll do OK.. I'll get it put back together over the weekend hopefully.

OK, I got the porting done on the 056.. hate those darned hose barb intakes.. yes, I know I'm repeating myself! All in all I think I got it looking pretty good, middle-of-the-road porting job, .035" squish.. I think it'll do OK.. I'll get it put back together over the weekend hopefully.
Oh , by the way Effram, I have a nice johnsereds 910 e that Im not using for your interest,
It starts and Idles ,revs but bogs under load, fuel related Im sure, again great thread you;ve posted
....pres

The 910 I think is similar enough to the 920 I could revive one of the two with some extra body parts.. the 920 I have is a basketcase but ran well, and after the porting I did on the 'wild' 65 I'm a little more courageous with the porting... It would be for my friend who wants the 480

OK, here's my 4 Husky 65's running.. there's something funky with ignition of the first one, as you'll be able to tell

Other than that I've been flooded with other work so I haven't fiddled with saws much.. Sold my KTM 450 and bought a honda XR400, and I'm going over that with a fine tooth comb.. redoing some wiring for turn signals, etc, replacing fork oil, tuning up the suspension, and all that stuff so it's roadworthy.. Meanwhile on my old XR500 the ignition quit, and I had to figure out why.. turns out the stator coil was burnt to a crisp, so I found one from an older 500 that fit, but had a couple extra circuits on it.. fandangled it together and my farm workhorse is back on the job.. .as soon as I did that a fork seal packed it in on me.

Then there's my truck, I think my injector pump is going, it's got an unsteady idle that sounds like it's from a sticky governor linkage.. I put some ATF in the oil and I'll see if that cures it, otherwise I'll have to swap that out too.. *sigh*

On the bright side I spent a lot of money on tools, a store was closing out and I got LOTS of carbide dremel bits for $1.50 each, I got a couple good drill chucks for the tailstock of the lathe, keyless, 0 to 5/8th and very nice.. I also got a Makita 18V right angle cordless drill, a bunch of big drill bits so I have 1/2-1" in 1/16ths now.. a new brake controller for my truck, an new electric fencer, crowbars, rulers, and a whack of other knickknacks

Thought I'd bring this back up.. What's up around here? well, I'm working on putting a Holset VGT turbo from a 6.7 on my old 5.9 cummins.. that's long road to do...

As far as the Husky 65's, this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ms661c-muffler-mod-testing.281169/page-3#post-5442247 prompted me to do a frequency analysis of the mild ported husky 65 video in the cut, turns out I'm running about 8200 RPM in the cut.. I think that's far higher than original.. Next I'll have to see what the 'wild' ported one does.. I think that one will be around 9-10k if I don't bog it.

I looked up another old vid of of the 'wild' 65, it seemed to free-rev to about 12,000, and sounds nice and strong from 9000 to 10,000 in the cut, much below 7ooo and is started to sound boggy.. This was before I window ported the piston and I had alot of carb reversion from too long an intake duration..

I'm working on that with another fellow (lilbb.com) on the Arduino platform. It's under development, and I'm going to be running my own code... I'm just a sucker for punishment in that way. I built a new engine for the truck a year and a half ago, of course the die grinder went to work on the heads, I can't quite call it a full porting job, but I certainly smoothed things out, and it got a stage 3 Colt cam as well.. runs pretty good
I'm also going to make my own trailer brake controller that is driven directly from the brake line pressure, because I hate all the other styles, particularly the time based ones.. with them if you have them set soft enough for normal driving, they will never do squat in an emergency, and if you haul living critters, you can't have it set harsh.. so I had a Hopkins accelerometer based one, which works MUCH nicer for that, but doesn't work when you're stopped or in reverse.. and that has it's own dangers as well

OK, next time some moron decides to 'quickly window port a piston', could you remind him it's a 2 hour job?

I took my 'wild' 65 apart, it looked good inside, but I wanted a new piston with no transfer or exhaust notches cut in it, and with a longer skirt.. so I went to work making a new one

Old piston top
There was a small puddle of oil in the case, something I like to see, granted I hadn't run the saw very hard the last 10 minutes before I took it apart
IMG_0550sm.jpg

New piston windows
IMG_0555sm.jpg

I didn't recheck my timing numbers
I also raised the top of the transfers about 1mm to make up for the un-notched piston, I didn't mind a little less exhaust duration, so the notch there didn't bother me, and the piston skirt was about 1mm longer, which is the main reason I wanted the new piston in there.. the 85* intake timing was certainly too high.. I figure my numbers went from 92/114/85 (E/T/I) to 97/116/82... I'll have lost a little top end but I think since it'll be happier at 7500 RPM it should be a bit less touchy to run.

Now I don't know why, but when I reassembled everything, it had squat for compression.. put a teaspoon of oil into it and it fired, and from there on it had good compression again.. the ring must have bound up somehow

OK, I put it in some wood, chain wasn't the sharpest thing around, but I found it had liked being around 8-9000 RPM in the cut and felt right at that point.. below 7000 it started to lose a bit of torque... free revved with little 4 stroking at about 11,500 All in all the changes I made didn't make a drastic difference, without a dyno it's impossible to put numbers to it, but I think the powerband drops off less quickly as RPM's fall below peak torque.

Well, I got a whole whack of parts from President last weekend, I went to his place and we fiddled around a little, t'was a good time,... I brought the Jred 920 super I did up for my friend, and it gave a strong performance, we were noodling some birch with a 24" bar and it weent through it nicely... the 'wild' L65 did well too, though it plugs up badly when noodling. I have a video narrated by President I'll post up when I get a chance :)

Back