My life, my workbench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ignition I got from President made the 61 fire up, even with the scored cylinder.. I need to get a new set of rings, all of the rings I have have about .025" end gap, so they run OK but are a little weak... Also wondering which jugs I should go with, the divided or undivided transfer port? Until I get rings, I'll go with the "A" sized cylinder, whichever one that ends up being.

OK, the 61 is running strong, could use a new ring, it has about .030" end gap, but it's going good nevertheless.

Here's the video President took of me noodling birch with the 920 super I did for a friend

Coming up I'll have a good vid of the Wild L65 with decently sharpened chain and the 24" bar buried in solid old fir

OK, here's the wild L65 at work

And the 61 I put together, it was a mild port job.. base gasket delete.. about a 18 or 20" hardnose (from an xl12).. don't know what I hit, but all of a sudden my chain was absolutely dull, just demolished in mid cut.. must have been something in the wood there somewhere.

Hey ,Effram just veiwed it,even though the chain was without its upper plate
the saw didnt slow, Impressive with a mild port for sure.the 65 must weigh a pound or 2
lighter after the evisseration you gave it but its sure a knarley beast!

A couple nights ago, I helped a buddy do a head gasket in his truck.. was quite a job.. started (by putting the engine hoist together) at 5pm, spending a good hour flushing the goop out of his rad, then supper (8pm by then).. when we were all done it was 3:30 am and we had both done a days work before we started on his truck... we were bagged.

I also got the Titan Bluestreak fired up.. I think I still got some carb issues, but it starts with about 5 pulls now... I'm going to take the gearhead off and change the oil, and check the clutch out, then I have to make a pair of mufflers for it, clean up the B&C and I can put it into some wood!

President.. I have named my Husky 61 project the Manhattan project.. you gave me a good idea :) I was wondering if you have any clutch and top covers for the 61's still?.. I don't really care how ugly they are

Firewood season is approaching.. I gotta get the herd of saws in order :)

yes to both questions . I could use that clutch from the
shell I gave you from an old 7/ or 65. I have at least 1
minty grey 61cover with full decalss on iannnnnd some white top rancher
covers I will give you 2 complete 61 clutches with the bells ,package deal
for the clutch,also I have some upper top case parts for the 65l/l77 cases
thrown in ,I cant wait to see the mushroom cloud ! .....Keith ps those old
clutches fit my 181s

I won't need any 61 clutches, the 61 crank has a different thread (fine) than the 65 crank (coarse).. I might be able to use 1 drum though, I'll have to see what I got and how everything lines up. My Hutzl 272 cylinder kit should be here in 2 weeks too

@president.. turns out I need the rear (high voltage) coil for a 61.. I'm OK with a blue unit if you have one.. the manhattan project doesn't need more revs than the coil will deliver... for now I'll steal the ignition off the working 61 though.. oh, and the muffler.

Speaking of the Manhattan project, I got my parts today from Hutzl, aka Farmertec (the shipping address was Farmertec), and on initial inspection it looks pretty good, Cylinder surface finish is good, piston looks really good, though I will deburr the edges a little.

A couple questions though.. were the 272 transfer ports always piston fed? I'm going to try to get them piston and bottom fed like a Jred 920 super. I'm going to have to bolt it together and get some initial timing numbers to work from, but I got lots of room any way I want to go... The transfer ports seem a little short in height though. Squish band may be a little narrow, I'll see what I can do about it.. once again I'll have to get it bolted on to determine what sort of tolerances I have. Depending on the condition of my best set of 6202 bearings I have from old saws I'll probably stick with them and forego the chinese ones.. the seals look good though.

Once I determine my clearances I'll have to see what I can do about mounting the 61 carb adapter on the 272 jug... might be some drilling and tapping involved there... time will tell.

Excited to get to work on this beast :)

I may even have a black unlimited 61 coil
in my old tupperware coil box .Its yours &wouldyou be willing
to part with that old l65 clutch on that skeleton in your parts
you bought ? I will scavench some more stuff for you too Keith

No problem on the clutch... meanwhile I think I found another complete L65 (might need a fuel hose) for cheap

Well, I did some work on the Manhattan project... Cut a mandrel to cut the squish band.. worked OK. Took some pics of the jug/piston before so people can see what it's like.
My current numbers are 105* exhaust, 121* transfer, and 71* intake, which gives me lots of room to work with.. I think the transfers are about where I want them, once I raise the exhaust to about 97* I'll have enough blowdown... 16* is a little short to me. Also, with that low an exhaust port my compression is WAAAY high.. with the formula I use that's been accurate so far, it's coming up to 235 PSI and that's with .025" squish.. if I bring the exhaust up to 97*, that should come down to 210 PSI, which is still more than I'm looking for... I don't really want to go with more aggressive a duration than that. As a last resort I guess I could dish the piston a little. Thankfully this jug has a decomp on it.. might just come in handy. I think I'll put my starting numbers around 100/121/77 I'll start conservative on the intake, since with the very small case volume here I think it'll get to be too peaky power and fall on it's face at the bottom if I go too long on it

No problem on the clutch... meanwhile I think I found another complete L65 (might need a fuel hose) for cheap
guess what, Ive got a new 65l parts saw too, the guy called (grampawes garage gets chainsaw stuff and passes it on to
Well, I did some work on the Manhattan project... Cut a mandrel to cut the squish band.. worked OK. Took some pics of the jug/piston before so people can see what it's like.
My current numbers are 105* exhaust, 121* transfer, and 71* intake, which gives me lots of room to work with.. I think the transfers are about where I want them, once I raise the exhaust to about 97* I'll have enough blowdown... 16* is a little short to me. Also, with that low an exhaust port my compression is WAAAY high.. with the formula I use that's been accurate so far, it's coming up to 235 PSI and that's with .025" squish.. if I bring the exhaust up to 97*, that should come down to 210 PSI, which is still more than I'm looking for... I don't really want to go with more aggressive a duration than that. As a last resort I guess I could dish the piston a little. Thankfully this jug has a decomp on it.. might just come in handy. I think I'll put my starting numbers around 100/121/77 I'll start conservative on the intake, since with the very small case volume here I think it'll get to be too peaky power and fall on it's face at the bottom if I go too long on it
Hey Effrom, I thought I gave you the 028 carb ,I found it ,its yours , new carb kit &never installed

So I hit my desired target timing numbers bang on.. 97/80/121...

Here's what I have to say about Farmertec cylinders.. the aluminum is a very different alloy than OEM.. I can't say better or worse, but it machines out really nicely.. the only hangups I had was most of the ports and squish band were also plated, which made it a real PITA to get started.
Now if the piston is of the same alloy (most likely), that may cause problems... but I'll say the casting and finish was pretty darned good.. just some sharp edges I had to break, very little work needed to be done on it (about 5 minutes with the dremel on the windows)

Next thing I have to do is find my 6mm tap so I can drill and tap out the intake studs and match so some serious port matching on that.

YEEEHAW.. gave the manhattan project a last look over and assembled it halfway... by that I mean I put just enough of it together to fire it... No muffler, no clutch, no top cover, no handle.. just the case, gas tank, ignition, recoil and carb.

Compression is wicked... yeah, I needed the decomp valve on that thing! And without fail, the second pull on it broke the starter rope.. (decomp pushed in)... no biggie, I had another side cover and popped it on.. and it started. I have an 11/16th bore carb on it, and it doesn't seem like it's too much so far.

Without the top cover on I wasn't going to run it long since it isn't cooling, but a couple blips of the throttle were exciting.. it really sounds like it's raring to go. Tomorrow it'll get the rest of it assembled, a 24" bar and new Stihl RS chain, and I'll count how many cookies I can cut before it blows up.. I'm taking bets on it!

YEEEHAW.. gave the manhattan project a last look over and assembled it halfway... by that I mean I put just enough of it together to fire it... No muffler, no clutch, no top cover, no handle.. just the case, gas tank, ignition, recoil and carb.

Compression is wicked... yeah, I needed the decomp valve on that thing! And without fail, the second pull on it broke the starter rope.. (decomp pushed in)... no biggie, I had another side cover and popped it on.. and it started. I have an 11/16th bore carb on it, and it doesn't seem like it's too much so far.

Without the top cover on I wasn't going to run it long since it isn't cooling, but a couple blips of the throttle were exciting.. it really sounds like it's raring to go. Tomorrow it'll get the rest of it assembled, a 24" bar and new Stihl RS chain, and I'll count how many cookies I can cut before it blows up.. I'm taking bets on it!
Im interested to see how those bearings hold up.the bottom end supports up to and including
a 272

100 120 with the intake In the 70's will bout make any saw run good. Those are my favorite 660 stihl numbers, also a 395 and a 394 around here with them numbers that are pretty sporty also. If it was 90cc 235psi would b much but it wouldn't on a smaller saw, i own and have built gobbs of 90cc saws with 210+ and have never had any problems.

Latest posts

Back