My new 1997 Ram 2500HD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crotchclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought it from my neighbor with 43,616 miles on it. I've put 300 on it so far and am loving it. I've wanted one of these 2nd gen 4x4 diesels for a few years and now I finally have my dream truck. Rear bumper is bent up so I'm going to put a Ranch Hand on it. Thinking about one on the front too. First thing is upgrading the terrible speakers! It's a Laramie SLT but he got basic audio.
Ram%2B001.jpg
Ram%2B002.jpg

I bought it from my neighbor with 43,616 miles on it. I've put 300 on it so far and am loving it. I've wanted one of these 2nd gen 4x4 diesels for a few years and now I finally have my dream truck. Rear bumper is bent up so I'm going to put a Ranch Hand on it. Thinking about one on the front too. First thing is upgrading the terrible speakers! It's a Laramie SLT but he got basic audio.

I've got a similar truck and have really enjoyed it. If the steering is lacking, look into upgrading to 1998 steering linkages.

I hope it doesnt have the '53' block, just did mine.
You can google that one.
Mines a white quad cab 98.5 24v auto, with 260,000 kms on it.
Done lots to it.
Just did the entire front end not too expensive if you do it yourself.
You might take at look at Diesel Truck Resource aka DTR web site its more info than you can ever read, been on there for 10 years.
BBB

97 shouldn't be a 53 block. Most of those are 98 and up.

Stock trucks are ok now. Those old ones need some help to get out of the way with a load.

This one doesn't seem to have to same acceleration as the manual transmission 24valve 1999 I drove for the Forest Service. I think that truck had lower geared axles though because it would only do 55 in 5th gear at 2000rpm. I don't think I ever used low range since 1st gear was a crawl. I haven't compared load hauling since the heaviest cargo I've hauled so far was less than 1000lbs of wood up a moderate highway grade. We'd nearly max out those FS rigs with water tanks and equipment trailers and it would still haul ass up steep mountain roads. But I'm liking the auto trans for city driving.

How many .53 blocks did you replace!!! I would like to take my old block to a dealer and place it somewhere,,,,
BBB
I have never seen it on a 12 valve. It's not the dealers fault, or decision to warranty them. Nobody gets screwed over by manufacturers more than Dealership Technicians. I'm not a fanboy of any brand, I was just complimenting the guy on his new truck and giving him my opinion.

That is awesome!!!

You have no idea how good of a score you have made.

Today I did the killer dowel pin tab installation. It took all day but now I have peace of mind. Next project is repairing the body damage on the left rear corner from the flimsy bent up bumper. Thinking of doing a 2-tone paint with metallic tan below the trim strip since I'll have to repaint that area anyway on that corner. I have access to pro painting and bodywork tools so why not. Then I can install the Ranch Hand rear bumper I have on order. I got my new speakers installed last weekend and it sounds pretty good now.

53 block issue is kinda overrated.. Hit and miss type deal. Dowel pin, 4500gsk, little timing and fuel should run like a raped ape. Not a cummins fan myself but a good find nonetheless

Back