My new 1997 Ram 2500HD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my 99. 5.9l 24valve. Long box extended cab. Even though it has a manual transmission, it has 3.73 or 3.45 years in the rear. Yes it runs around 2000rpm when high way cruzing but is that really a bad thing? I get 17-20mpg on average. Thinking next winter I'm going to rebuild the engine and trans. (270k on the clock). One thing I wish I would have done is the manual conversion for the center axel disconnect. (4wd). Then I could put into 4low and have two wheel drive for backing trailers in gear.

Anyways..... Nice score, you won't be disappointed.

I love my 99. 5.9l 24valve. Long box extended cab. Even though it has a manual transmission, it has 3.73 or 3.45 years in the rear. Yes it runs around 2000rpm when high way cruzing but is that really a bad thing? I get 17-20mpg on average. Thinking next winter I'm going to rebuild the engine and trans. (270k on the clock). One thing I wish I would have done is the manual conversion for the center axel disconnect. (4wd). Then I could put into 4low and have two wheel drive for backing trailers in gear.

Anyways..... Nice score, you won't be disappointed.
You've got 3.55 or 4.10 in that year. If you turn 2k@70 you've got 4.10s. They make a kit for 2 low. I think it was under $50 when I had a 2nd gen. Makes it nice for backing trailers or putting along in a field.

I'm the farthest thing from a dodge fan . The body's are made out of soup cans. There wiring is a joke . Cheap plastic crap of a interior , 20 million recalls . That being said the cummins is so good you put up with the crap they build around them . You will love that truck!!! Here is my newer one 2010 with 70k
d5f58eef9d68aaddc5d41f189c2bec29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the farthest thing from a dodge fan . The body's are made out of soup cans. There wiring is a joke . Cheap plastic crap of a interior , 20 million recalls . That being said the cummins is so good you put up with the crap they build around them . You will love that truck!!! Here is my newer one 2010 with 70k

Haha, yeah I was shocked when I found out there isn't even a headlight relay. All the current goes through the switch in the dash, which is prone to burning out because of that. A recall to install a relay was only on the 3500 even though the 2500 is identical. Go figure. Got my new Ranch Hand rear bumper on Tuesday to replace the flimsy joke of a rear. Front is even worse but that will have to wait for a bit. At least I don't have to deal with any body rust like you guys in the eastern US. I got the service manual from the previous owner which has been a help with wiring diagrams, etc. I hauled a trailer loaded with logs last weekend and the Cummins pulled well.

Haha, yeah I was shocked when I found out there isn't even a headlight relay. All the current goes through the switch in the dash, which is prone to burning out because of that. A recall to install a relay was only on the 3500 even though the 2500 is identical. Go figure. Got my new Ranch Hand rear bumper on Tuesday to replace the flimsy joke of a rear. Front is even worse but that will have to wait for a bit. At least I don't have to deal with any body rust like you guys in the eastern US. I got the service manual from the previous owner which has been a help with wiring diagrams, etc. I hauled a trailer loaded with logs last weekend and the Cummins pulled well.
My gf asked my why half the dodge trucks she sees has a headlight out. She said all dodge owners a retarded . That's hard to argue being I have one[emoji37]. But you'll be happy with the headlight wiring on your second gen over the 3rd gen . Headlight goes out and chances are you need a 500$ module to fix it .
Around my area a97 dodge would be rotted to the point you wouldn't know what it is anymore . Most the 2007 and under I see already have pretty bad rust

My gf asked my why half the dodge trucks she sees has a headlight out. She said all dodge owners a retarded . That's hard to argue being I have one[emoji37]. But you'll be happy with the headlight wiring on your second gen over the 3rd gen . Headlight goes out and chances are you need a 500$ module to fix it .
Around my area a97 dodge would be rotted to the point you wouldn't know what it is anymore . Most the 2007 and under I see already have pretty bad rust

A friends 03 (?) GMC 2500 has zero rust... Always winter driven and he hasn't sprayed any Krown or Fluid Film or anything under there either. Our 2002 F-250 extended cab has holes all around the cab and bed already. We did our best to wash it off and stuff to no avail. It's almost like they want it to rot... maybe to keep people buying them? Nahh..

A friends 03 (?) GMC 2500 has zero rust... Always winter driven and he hasn't sprayed any Krown or Fluid Film or anything under there either. Our 2002 F-250 extended cab has holes all around the cab and bed already. We did our best to wash it off and stuff to no avail. It's almost like they want it to rot... maybe to keep people buying them? Nahh..
Don't worry chevy fixed that problem . The 2008 body style rotts out the lines under the truck pretty fast now.
I had 2003 gmc extended can durimax loaded leather and all the goodies . The trans was awesome , motor was a wimp. My 2005 f350 6.0 would pull 10 times better . Alas its a ford[emoji26]

Don't worry chevy fixed that problem . The 2008 body style rotts out the lines under the truck pretty fast now.
I had 2003 gmc extended can durimax loaded leather and all the goodies . The trans was awesome , motor was a wimp. My 2005 f350 6.0 would pull 10 times better . Alas its a ford[emoji26]

Kinda seemed to me and a lot of other people that the Duramax had a very narrow power-band. It also seemed kinda high up there in RPMs too.
IMO Ford has always been superior in the diesel world. But that's not to say Chevy or Dodge didn't have good diesels either.

Kinda seemed to me and a lot of other people that the Duramax had a very narrow power-band. It also seemed kinda high up there in RPMs too.
IMO Ford has always been superior in the diesel world. But that's not to say Chevy or Dodge didn't have good diesels either.
I hate to say this but my ford 6.0 was my favorite .all good after I redid the topend and deleted the egr at 100k
f2615b249efcf4368a8c70cb764e0d85.jpg
91c4cd04479ed4d50827252eeb818a77.jpg

I hate to say this but my ford 6.0 was my favorite .all good after I redid the topend and deleted the egr at 100k
f2615b249efcf4368a8c70cb764e0d85.jpg
91c4cd04479ed4d50827252eeb818a77.jpg

I've heard the same as well; when the 6.0 is "bulletproofed" or whatever you wanna call it, it's one of the best.
Just sucks how you have to take the cab off if you want say a head off or something. Either that or a bunch of A/C stuff and other things as well.
As well as the cost of injectors, etc.

I've heard the same as well; when the 6.0 is "bulletproofed" or whatever you wanna call it, it's one of the best.
Just sucks how you have to take the cab off if you want say a head off or something. Either that or a bunch of A/C stuff and other things as well.
As well as the cost of injectors, etc.
Can was off in under a hour and made things really easy . I threw a new ac evaporator in when the cab was off . Redid the heads and valve seats. New oil cooler and high pressure oil pump. Head studs and a rebuilt turbo . Then I got carried away and changed the front u-joints and ball joints . Runs like a champ since but now I got the dodge the ford must be sold

Can was off in under a hour and made things really easy . I threw a new ac evaporator in when the cab was off . Redid the heads and valve seats. New oil cooler and high pressure oil pump. Head studs and a rebuilt turbo . Then I got carried away and changed the front u-joints and ball joints . Runs like a champ since but now I got the dodge the ford must be sold

Glad to hear it all worked out. I sure would hate to swallow that bill though... especially if you had someone else do it haha
What was wrong with it in the first place?

Glad to hear it all worked out. I sure would hate to swallow that bill though... especially if you had someone else do it haha
What was wrong with it in the first place?
I do all my own work so it came in under 4500 with a new set of sneakers . It probably would have been well over 40 hours labor if you had to pay someone . It had 93k on the clock and the egr is known to fail . It started to leak on my way to work so I had it ripped down by the end of the day . I like a good offense so I installed all the updated parts when I was in there . Don't like doing stuff twice .

I do all my own work so it came in under 4500 with a new set of sneakers . It probably would have been well over 40 hours labor if you had to pay someone . It had 93k on the clock and the egr is known to fail . It started to leak on my way to work so I had it ripped down by the end of the day . I like a good offense so I installed all the updated parts when I was in there . Don't like doing stuff twice .

That's neat. I'm sure it'll have a long service life if nothing else goes wrong.

Latest posts

Back