my new avatar vote

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa! This thread went from bad to :dizzy:

Now a person's online persona and how they are in person can be two different things...but from what I've seen on this thread (and others), Carl hit the nail on the head. Good to see you back around here Carl!

oh, and I can honestly say that I'm a crappy climber 75% of the time:D

Originally posted by Stumper
Erik, Are you only 25% as honest as you claim 75% of the time?

Actually erik is only thruthful about 10% of the time about 90% of the stuff. I make up the rest for him.;) :p

Dang, Mike. You had to blab.

Now I gotta tell them about your lingerie collection... ;)

bjs climbed the mountain and no ones there, as have so many before him.climbins like fightn theres always someone better

Originally posted by rumination
Whoa! This thread went from bad to :dizzy:

Now a person's online persona and how they are in person can be two different things...but from what I've seen on this thread (and others), Carl hit the nail on the head. Good to see you back around here Carl!

oh, and I can honestly say that I'm a crappy climber 75% of the time:D

Good to be back!

Let's set it straight.

I'm sorry if I ever said I was a great climber. Someone help me out find a quote where I said that.

I find it upsetting that it disturbs lumberjack that I was so far out a limb that I could hit the ground if I fell. Does anyone ever wory about a monkey falling? I believe I am a little more causious.

I never "free" climb. I wont do it. Did alot of in the past when I was young and dumb. I do everything I can in a day to be safe. I don't ever stand on a limb and unclip unsafety as some and other sorta things like free hook up so far to lanyard in.

If you can say you never exceed a certain rope angle and that if you fall at anytime that your fall would be a safe one than your the best.

Work has to get done. There is no time to pansey out say you need bucket or such only because someone better will show up and do it better and show you that it can be done. I can try and explain this to everyone all night but its not something that can be explained you just have to experience it and get there.

I'm not going to name names but there are guys you wouldn't dare to put down who take safety just as serious as I do if not less. Or at least these are the rumors that I hear. One such person isn't wanted as an instructor becasue the company wanted him to wear a hard hat and he gave them a hard time.

We can sit and preach safety all we want be we are all a bunch of hipocrits if we do. No one is perfect.

I have to agree with John. We've all taken the 'hippocritic' oath. That is, unless you are perfect. Now if you want to step forward and claim you perform all safety functions to 100 % completeness, all the time, perfectly always, clearly you would be full of $hit.

Safe is a way of being. As John says,
its not something that can be explained you just have to experience it and get there.

You are a competent, professional up in a tree. Inclusive in that title is 'safe'. It is the way you are, and the way you have to be. Your safety record, over time, will tell your safety story.

So say you've been climbing for ten or twelve years, have never fallen, have never sent yourself to the hospital, have never been the cause of anyone else being injured or going to the hospital and have never been the cause of anyone going to the morgue. You have never done damage that required an insurance claim. I wold consider that evidence of being a 'safe' climber.

But, You climb in the wild, maverick monkey style of Big John.

I would say, "Brother, you should be making really fat dough. Good Job."

I don't have to tell him to be safe or how to be safe, or feed him guidelines and rules. Nobody needs to tell this cat to 'be careful'. I have complete trust that Big John respects the safety of his men on the ground, inspects his climbing gear frequently, works with deliberate, focussed precision and doesn't take stupid chances. He has attained a mastery of climbing that allows him to maneuver with swiftness and style up and through the canopy of any tree. His razor-sharp chain does it's job with authority.

You entertain those persons who stop and watch. You amaze the average person and your aerial antics probably become discussion at many dinnertables.

. Go, YOU.

I don't know anything about your biology, or what PPE you have on board, but I think I get where your climbing talent is. I'll bet it's a lot of fun, eh?

p.s. I was personally hypnotized by your last avatar expression. Congratulations, you've made history.:p

Last edited:
Big John,
I like what you said:

Work has to get done. There is no time to pansey out say you need bucket or such only because someone better will show up and do it better and show you that it can be done. I can try and explain this to everyone all night but its not something that can be explained you just have to experience it and get there.

In the movie: Pulp fiction the two assassins drive to the house where they are going to kill people and look in the trunk to see what kind of guns they have. One looks in and sees pistols, then turns and asks the other one "how many people in the house? and the other one says 5 people. Then the first guy says: "we shoulda brought shotguns" .
After all that they dont mess about any more but march up to the house to do their business. No crying no turning back.
Good fun movie
Frans

ps.
The topic of this thread is 'avatars'
I hate avatars and silly user names. IMO they are stupid, juvenile and remind me of little kids playing with their model airplanes and other toys.
:)
Frans

Originally posted by Frans
I hate avatars and silly user names. IMO they are stupid, juvenile and remind me of little kids playing with their model airplanes and other toys.

"SCREW YOU GUYS! I'M GOING HOME!!!"

17176.gif

aaf_pfft.gif

Originally posted by Tree Machine
He has attained a mastery of climbing that allows him to maneuver with swiftness and style up and through the canopy of any tree. His razor-sharp chain does it's job with authority.

You entertain those persons who stop and watch. You amaze the average person and your aerial antics probably become discussion at many dinnertables.
Congratulations, you've made history.:p
Please pass the barf bag. From the sounds of it, all BJ is lacking is Babe the Blue Ox, and he will join Paul Bunyan in the Treecudder's Hall of Fame, right?

What a load of macho crap. Climbing is such a small part of Commercial Tree Care. Sure you can take pride in doing it well, but let's keep it real, guys. What matters in this forum, according to the title, is how we care for the trees.

ANSI rules the industry. If you ignore the standards and say you're above them, take heed: Pride goeth before the Fall.

Guy,
I have to respectfully disagree with your thinking... there is a big difference between mastery and macho crap... And I trust my judgment on this one. Especially since I've worked many jobs with BJ and you haven't...
The first job we ever worked together was pruning a monster red oak, in bad shape over a couple of houses.... real wide spread....
I invited a friend of mine to help out on the ground, mostly cause he needed the $ and it was a weekend... That man later told me he had been in a big depression and working with us that day really turned his life around, just pulled him right out of that slump...

That's what happens when you hang with a master. It brings you up. It has to... Like the first time I ever saw Chisholm footlock... I was pumped for a month.... the man I AM talking about is in his mid 50's.... If it had been a macho thing, it wouldn't have worked for him...

When I see and recognize and acknowledge the gold in a man like BJ, that's because he mirrors my own gold... ther eis agreat climber somewhere inside me too... And it comes out best when he's doing one half of the tree and I Am in the other... I hope you all get a chance to climb with Big Jon someday... especially you Guy!

it comes out best when he's doing one half of the tree and I Am in the other... I hope you all get a chance to climb with Big Jon someday... especially you Guy! [/B]
Yes there is no better way to learn with others than working the same tree together. NO doubt I'd learn something, and I may get inspired too. I've learned from working with NickfromWI, Rocky, JPS. Ox, Dan TreeCo, Dunlap and many others.

I've seen the Intl TCC, and been inspired by Strasser, Chisholm and the rest. But if I was gonna mythologize any of them, and compose sagas or ballads or legends to spread his fame, it would be a well-rounded arborist who respects the industry.

Murph maybe you should get out more too. ;)

A think a little disrespect for any industry or institution is healthy.... Better than blind acceptance of todays norms, which will of course be passe in some short time! Any thinker that is ahead of his time is bound to be considerred disrespectful or worse...

There are so many factors to consider in this work... I for one, have not been particularly impressed by how the institutions have have accounted for the many varied conditions we face in setting up guidelines and recommendations... Better to have what we got than nothing, but a lot of room for improvrment..

I've learned from working with NickfromWI, Rocky, JPS. Ox, Dan TreeCo, Dunlap and many others.

So Guy did you learn enough to get off that Blake yet? Your past reluctance to change in that small way indicates a possible unhealthy repect for some out of date standards and thinking! Your encouragement to have us all think with something other than a chainsaw is appreciated... and How willing are you to think outside the box?

So Guy did you learn enough to get off that Blake yet? [/B]
O yeah I'm loving the VT with micropulley (sorry NickfW). Thanks to my friends who pushed my old bones hard enough to change.

"A think a little disrespect for any industry or institution is healthy.... Better than blind acceptance" I agree, if questioning of norms is based on understanding them but seeing a better way. That's how the industry advances. If you don't learn about the norms before rejecting them, then your way has less validity.

Latest posts

Back