My new best friend.....MS460.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogjaws

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, I havent been around for awhile. Busier than a one armed paper hanger.
But I still appreciate all the knowledge I have gained as a result of reading
all you guys....and gals and the laughs as well. Last year I told you all you would end up getting me in trouble and sure enough CAD strikes again.
Yesterday morning I popped into my local Stihl dealer and you know the rest of the story. Somehow this brand spanking new MS460 was in the back of my truck and headed for a new home. Darndest thing I tells ya, dont remember what happened, it is all a blurrrrrrr. Total blackout, its not my fault, I swear.
Help please..................I went back today and ordered the big spikes w/
roller chain catcher(thanks guys, had the part#s in hand, the dealer was impressed)............now I need a dual port muffler..........a tach......a woods
port job.........where does it END!!!!!! I havent even run the 2nd tank through
it yet.....................MS660.....not yet.....but I feel it....do you feel it?
Anyway, heres a couple pics of my new best friend. The muff will be gutted
by the weekend and a dual port will soon follow. Cant wait to open her up
and let her breath.
Thanks to all again for a great forum.

MS460/25" Bar #3 and counting.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry for the huge pics, my 1st attempt at pics.
I thought I downsized enough...guess not.
Thanks for the instructions parrisw, next pics will be smaller, I promise.

wow...its so clean!!! nice saw..i like all 3 of mine! gutting the muffler, opening the stock port and adding the dual port with a retune makes them a new saw...nice looking white oak and cherry as well(atleast that is what it looks like)

Thanks, had to take a pic b4 it got dirty, and yep correct on the wood(cherry and white oak).
I have quite a mix, poplar, maple and some red and pin oak also.
Just had to put it in front of the good stuff though.
The new saw just ripped through that white oak and wanted more.
I want more............660........is an 880 too much for firewood?
Nahhhhhhhh. I think NOT.

Thanks, had to take a pic b4 it got dirty, and yep correct on the wood(cherry and white oak).
I have quite a mix, poplar, maple and some red and pin oak also.
Just had to put it in front of the good stuff though.
The new saw just ripped through that white oak and wanted more.
I want more............660........is an 880 too much for firewood?
Nahhhhhhhh. I think NOT.

i ran an 084 with a 24" for firewood.....limbing and all....but im not right...

this is a stock 460 with just a gutted muffler(20" round filed chisel) the tree is red oak
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cjQpm-9ca0U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cjQpm-9ca0U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Nice video, love watchin the chips fly, makin'em is more fun though.

Think the neighbors would mind me buckin a few logs tonight?
Its not that late.......yet.

i ran an 084 with a 24" for firewood.....limbing and all....but im not right...

this is a stock 460 with just a gutted muffler(20" round filed chisel)

Liar, Liar, pants on fire,,,, yeah,,, stock,,,, right!!!!! gutted muffler!!!! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: ;)

Liar, Liar, pants on fire,,,, yeah,,, stock,,,, right!!!!! gutted muffler!!!! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: ;)

it is stock...it just has the older magnum style muffler on it with the larger opening and no baffle...i promise!:cheers:

besides...i don't have any modded 046/460's as of now......but give it time....i did my 066 last weekend...but then there were troubles...so im starting from scratch....

Last edited:
Nice pics. Does anyone else here carry pics of their saws in their wallet instead of pictures of the wife and kids?

My muffler modded 460 is my favorite saw. 066 is fun in the big stuff, but in normal size wood the 460 just screams.

Latest posts

Back