My new Dolmar 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure I'll be switching to Aspen soon.I have only one more question: better/purer gas, doesn't deteriorate in time, premixed, friendly to the environment, better for the engine...; but how about the oil in the mix, from what I know you have to shake the container in which you have your mixture before pouring it into the chainsaw, so if I let my saw stay with Aspen in it for 2-3 months will I have to shake the saw before using it ? Doesn't the oil separate from the gas? Wouldn't be better to buy Aspen 4 and just mix as much as I intend to use at that moment?

I think you should stay clear of Aspen 4 in two cycle mashines, as I don't know enough about it, and at least it takes away some of the convenience of using Aspen 2.
I always shake the gas a little before using it, but don't know if it really is needed - no big deal anyway!:msp_smile:

Congratulations on your new saw. What's the deal with the muffler? Does it throw heat up in your face or what?

It will throw heat back to the crankcase. On a warm day, the crankcase temp may get high enough that fuel atomization problems affect the way the saw runs.

I understand that a lot of you guys are concerned about the warranty, but if the cat muffler is bad for the saw then why would you want to run it that way for a year?

You ought to ask your dealer what he thinks about changing the muffler before assuming anything. Plus, you could always hang on to the cat muffler and re-install it should the need for warranty service arise.

I think you should stay clear of Aspen 4 in two cycle mashines, as I don't know enough about it, and at least it takes away some of the convenience of using Aspen 2.
I always shake the gas a little before using it, but don't know if it really is needed - no big deal anyway!:msp_smile:

What about the bar oil, are there any conditions regarding storage?
Is it a problem if I let it in the tank for long periods?
I've heard some say that they replace the oil with a little gas and run it thru the oil pump, because the oil tends to clog the pump.

I have had bar oil turn into a sticky glue like substamce on a chainsaw once(the chainsaw was in storage for ~1 year). I ruined the oil pump with that. It took me 1/2 hr to get the chain links moving again after repeated soaking in WD40. Since then I mix the bio bar oil with some mineral oil(1:5 mineral oil/biooil). It looses its stickyness but it seems to stay more fluid.

But that is only my experience.

Good luck!

I have had bar oil turn into a sticky glue like substamce on a chainsaw once(the chainsaw was in storage for ~1 year). I ruined the oil pump with that. It took me 1/2 hr to get the chain links moving again after repeated soaking in WD40. Since then I mix the bio bar oil with some mineral oil(1:5 mineral oil/biooil). It looses its stickyness but it seems to stay more fluid.

But that is only my experience.

Good luck!

I like to run some dino oil through before storing the saws, but forget it some times (quite often actually :hmm3grin2orange:) - and also use WD40 on the chain, when that has happened.

Saw Troll, you are a treasure trove of info. It would be priceless to sit down and pick your brain for awhile. If you ever want to come to the maine gtg I will kick in 100$ towards your ticket, and I bet I will not be the only one chipping in.
The only problem is I researched where you live and I don't know why you would ever want to leave.
Thanks for your insights buddy, you are part of what makes this site so special. Russ:bowdown:

I there a way to clean the inside of the cylinder ?
I've removed the spark plug and looked inside and it doesn't look too good. Is there a method to clean the cylinder?

Is there a way I can tell if there are any deposits and if the deposits would be harmful for the engine in case I switch to Aspen. Also can you tell me how much it costs a 5 l can of Aspen in your country. We don't have it in Romania, so I don't know at what price it would get with shipping.

Hi:

I have friends in Romania- over there they use Shell Advance Ultra 2t, no carbon problems at all, really good oil.

Shell Advance Ultra 2 | Global

They mix it at 20:1 with Petrom pump gas and runs perfect!

Petrom - Esenţa mişcării . - Profilul Diviziei Marketing

Hi Sawtroll;

Yes Sir!, The saws love it, last a LOT longer than 50:1, just slightly richen the carb H needle.

Sorry, but I don't believe that is a good idea at all - there will likely be a lot of carbon, that well may harm the engine and clog things up.

Sorry, but I don't believe that is a good idea at all - there will likely be a lot of carbon, that well may harm the engine and clog things up.

Agree with the Troll - 20 : 1 sounds like a problem waiting to happen. I use 40:1 in all my 2-stroke, despite some literature calling for 50:1 - and I know some guys do well with their old saw mixes (32:1) in newer saws, but 20:1 - never heard of anyone going that heavy on oil...

There's no reason to run 20:1. None at all. Stick with what the manufacturer suggest, or maybe 40:1 or 43:1 etc, but 20:1 is a needless waste of oil, and some of that oil will end up in your lungs.

As for octane, the European and Australian ratings differ from US ratings (RON vs AKI). The US and Canada use the average of the RON(no load) and MON(loaded engine) ratings to come up with their AKI(anti Knock Index). 87 AKI is 92 RON. 95 RON(often the 'regular pump rating in Europe' is 91-92 AKI US(One of the reasons many of their engines aren't as lazy as our American ones can be, they can ship base models cars with higher compression motors). 100 RON is about 95 AKI. I see 100 RON available often at the pumps in Europe. You won't find Ethanol in Euro fuel, they do not subsidize their grain production in any form that resembles how we do it. In fact, the US diet is corn-based it is so subsidized. It is nearly impossible to avoid eating a corn product or derivative on a daily basis.

That Burger You're Eating Is Mostly Corn: Scientific American

I'm really quite happy with the saw, but man does that muffler get some hot. I was buried in a maple cutting her down, and whenever I backed out, I saw the muffler actually burnt the bark causing sparks.

I've had to use some E-tech Huskys in the past, but I never remember them getting to that degree. Its actually hot enough when I put bar oil in her I really watch my fingers.

That muffler has to go. I'm kind of shocked by it tbh.

Try gutting it first what are you out if you F it up!

I recently brought my saw from service( it would stop after a cut o 2 and wouldn't stay running at idle) I thought that it was flooding for some reason...
The service guy said that it had water in the gas mixture, but I don't know how it is possible because I use quality fuel and I'm very careful.
He also said that I could loose my warranty if this happens again...
Is there a method to avoid this? He said that water can ruin the carburetor, is there something that can counteract the effects of water in the carburetor or can protect it?
Or anything I can do to not have this problem again? I don't know how it appeared...

I recently brought my saw from service( it would stop after a cut o 2 and wouldn't stay running at idle) I thought that it was flooding for some reason...
The service guy said that it had water in the gas mixture, but I don't know how it is possible because I use quality fuel and I'm very careful.
He also said that I could loose my warranty if this happens again...
Is there a method to avoid this? He said that water can ruin the carburetor, is there something that can counteract the effects of water in the carburetor or can protect it?
Or anything I can do to not have this problem again? I don't know how it appeared...

How old was the fuel? I usually mix a small batch (1-2 litres) with full synthetic 1:40 oil and use it up. The rest that doesn't get used goes into the lawnmower/tractor. This water in fuel discussion is a little bit overrated in my eyes although I have no idea how the fuel quality is where you live. I believe that ethanol is also in the fuel where you live so it's hydroscopic (water attracting properties) are evident. I usually buy from gas stations with a lot of turn over so that I hope the fuel is always "fresh". Water does not ruin the carb! It changes the fuel oil air mixture so that the potential of a burnt up saw increases. It is more important to check the carb settings than excessivly worry about the "ethanol/water" fuel. Especially with a limited coil on a saw like yours.

"loose my warranty if this happens again."

Lol Warranty only covers what they what to cover which is almost nothing tbh. Even if the motor blew, they would try to pin it on straight gas, or too lean mixture ect.

Latest posts

Back