My new Henry Disston 2 man twin cylinder!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked this beauty up today. It will rn off gas down the carb, I imagine it needs a carb kit. It was kept in a heated Iron working shop. EVERYTHING works great! Started on the 5th pull been sitting for 10 years. I am missing the piece that holds the bar end to the motor end. I imagine it is some sort of band?

Thats Cool!!!!!

Do you have any Idea how old it is? and where were they manufactured???
Wondering about That Mercury Logo on there??????:rock:

Disston DA211

Congrates on picking up the saw. I have one and it is neat to use once in a while. Yes there is a band type clamp that holds the transmission on to the engine. Do not run the engine without the transmission attached or it can cause damage. Check on Ebay you might be able to find a clamp. Hope you find one, it sure is fun to cut 48" logs with it.

i don't feel crazy anymore..I'm in the middle of restoring one exactly the same model as yours...I actually have two power heads and one bar&chain. I was also able to get my hands on 1/2 roll of the chain used by that monster. There is a slim possibility I can find you a clamp as the place I got mine had a few and there may be a few bits and pieces around. IF I should be so luck I will let you know.:cheers:

Congrats on the saw. Careful this old saw thing can be addicting!

weimedog......If you can get me a clamp I will buy it from you and buy you one!!!

This old saw thing is addictive, I have bought this one and a fully restored david bradley in the last week.

I added a pic to the last post..but its TINY. It is of the two Distons I have before I started.

So far I have found they are just like old Mercury's from the early 1950's. I used to build those old mercs...as another hobbie..now only 4 cylinder mercs.

Anyway Grubb's Marine in Pennsylvania will be the place to find motor parts, carb parts, and ignition parts. Most of which are still available. I bought a new pair of coils.

Its probably a good Idea to replace those old coils as the potting material is almost certainly cracked if they are still origional. The ignition type on mine is a Bendix Scintilla.

Nice to have someone else nutty enough to take one on!:clap:

Last edited:
Saws were produced in the fifties, in Rockys hometown Philly. Sitting here looking at the operators manual,could get a 25" throat bow saw attachment. Would interesting to see one of those used. Also does anyone know where I could find a 7' bar and chain. Just for fun.

weimedog said:
I added a pic to the last post..but its TINY. It is of the two Distons I have before I started.

So far I have found they are just like old Mercury's from the early 1950's. I used to build those old mercs...as another hobbie..now only 4 cylinder mercs.

Anyway Grubb's Marine in Pennsylvania will be the place to find motor parts, carb parts, and ignition parts. Most of which are still available. I bought a new pair of coils.

Its probably a good Idea to replace those old coils as the potting material is almost certainly cracked if they are still origional. The ignition type on mine is a Bendix Scintilla.

Nice to have someone else nutty enough to take one on!:clap:

Is there a website?

Weimedog, What did you use to get cooling fan off of the crankshaft.

RiverRat2 said:
Do you have any Idea how old it is? and where were they manufactured???
Wondering about That Mercury Logo on there??????:rock:
Kiekhaefer owned Mercury. My Dad had a 9.8 hp Mercury outboard that was painted white. (1963) He used it for his fishing trips up in Minnesota at Lake of the Woods.

Neat saw. Don't know if I would want to work the "dumb end" though!

Urbicide said:
Kiekhaefer owned Mercury. My Dad had a 9.8 hp Mercury outboard that was painted white. (1963) He used it for his fishing trips up in Minnesota at Lake of the Woods.

Neat saw. Don't know if I would want to work the "dumb end" though!

Ayone know what Mercury engine this was used in? I went to that website and they have parts for all these old engines. I would love to get a carb kit in this and see it run.

Last edited:
Can anyone post a pic of the clamp/band that holds the transmission onto the engine? I am going to look for something tomorrow. Also the dimensions if possible.

DA-211 and KA-211

Here are some shots of the KA-211 and the DA-211 I'm trying to restore.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/nathann3uc/DSC03072.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/nathann3uc/DSC03068.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/nathann3uc/DSC03069.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/nathann3uc/DSC03071.jpg

The KA-211 is up and running, the DA-211 is having problems.
It will start, with a little ether, won't Idle. I think it must have an air leak somewhere around the main bearings. The reed valves and carb have been checked and are OK.
I would like to get a decal for the bar, but haven't located anyone who can duplicate the fine lines.
Here is a shot from Marshall T of what the decal should look like.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p278/nathann3uc/HPIM0830.jpg
Cheers
Jodie

That looks awesome is it painted or powder coated? I am in the middle of deciding whether to leave it stock or to restore and powdercoat it. I would like to powder coat it but another part of me says leave it alone.

What did you do to the aluminum to bring it back to life? My bar is rusty as you can see what is the recommended way to clean it up and what color were they from the factory?

THANKS!

Da-211

The Air Filter and Spark Plug Covers I had powder coated.
The Chasis and Engine are painted.
I used "DUPLI-COLOR" CAST COAT ALUMINUM...DE1650 for the Engine.
The bars I have were not painted and rusted up.
I used Scotch Brite pads to clean them, then painted Black.
You mentioned the Fan hub removal.
I went to the hardware store and bought a 3/4 fine thread bolt, you remove the fanhub lockdown nut, with a pneumatic wrench, then screw in the 3/4 bolt, again I would recommend with a pneumatic driver.

Cheers
Jodie

Latest posts

Back