My new hookeroons, homemade!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motofishman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this is ok to post this here, I spend all my time at AS in the chainsaw section. Spend most of my time reading:popcorn: what all of you think about this saw or that saw. Came here last year with 2 old saws (craftsman and ryobi), since becoming infected have acquired 2 Huskys, 2 Stihls, 2 Echos, 2 Homelites. Also added a real nice cant hook and 2 Fiskars. This place is going to break me:bang:. Read a few threads on log handling tools, they all seemed expensive and wasn't sure I would like what I bought, so thought I would modify something to tryout. The results for me have been fantastic:rock:. At this time I would say a hookeroon/pickeroon is handier than a cant hook, but the cant hook has been good. This is my first attempt to post a picture, hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Hopefully it works. If the pics show up let me know what you think. Thanks Tom
View attachment 217503View attachment 217504View attachment 217505

Looks like it's a bit quicker than forging a piece of coil spring and welding it to a tube or welding some leaf spring together like I been doing for years.

I prefer a longer hook with a hook to the tip.

Now if I could just find a pile of hatchet handles to work with.

Same reason I work on my own saws, truck, motorcycle, house, learn something, teach my kids, personal satisfaction!

Good for you,.... no offence intended to those who buy but, you never learn anything about hoow things work if you dont at least once in awhile make somthing yourself. I may spend 40 hours making a knife but when people who I know see them They always say "wow your pretty crafty" So keep it up make all you can it make's for a good story over a cold beer.

Let us know how that works out. I've been contemplating doing the same thing, but have noticed that most of the hookeroons you buy are made of spring steel and wonder if that steel in the pickaxe will hold a sharp point.

good to make your own stuff...don't throw them other metal bits away!

why so hefty?

Don't know how long tip will stay sharp. So far used the more hooked one, the first one I made, to move around approximately 1.5 cords of oak 18" rounds around and onto splitter, the end easily digs in. Anything I can lift the hook can stay in and is easy to remove. It doesn't seem heavy started out as a 2.5# pick, the handle is 36" Hickory and fits my hand well. Haven't had to resharpen yet, but would only take a minute with a file. I left the hooks a little longer so I could resharpen many times, should be good for years. Made these with my 20 year old, going to be architect daughter. She loves designing and making things, hopefully she or her husband will still be using these long after I cannot.
Beefie thanks for the rep, I'll have to find out what "rep" means.

Last edited:
Great job on the fab work!!! :rock:

Let us know how that works out. I've been contemplating doing the same thing, but have noticed that most of the hookeroons you buy are made of spring steel and wonder if that steel in the pickaxe will hold a sharp point.

If youve never used a pick ax or pick maddock before they are designed to be used in rock, gravel, hard frozen sand, tar.... im sure they will hold a point. ive used the same one for 3 years at work and never even made a mark in it. id have one longer but things seem to grow legs over the winter layoff months

I made a 7' hookeroon to aid in unloading. Used nothing but a short piece of 1/2" all thread with a point ground and hooked. It has held up for 3 years now, a bit blunted but still very effective.

Harry K

I've bene using pulp hooks and hookeroons since I was a little shaver. You used to be able to buy good pulp hooks, not anymore. These days the only ones worth even looking at are the replaceable tip jobs- Pulp Hook With Replaceable Tip - Pulp Hooks, Tips & Parts In 30ish years I've broken one tip. They make a hookeroon with the same thing. I like them light, too many people try and sink the hook into the wood 10" and them you spend 2 minutes trying to get it out.

Making your own is great as long as you can get it working right. I've made a lot of tools and sometimes the store bought stuff just works better. I still have half a dozen pulp hook I need to convert tot he LaBonville tip!

Hopefully this is ok to post this here, I spend all my time at AS in the chainsaw section. Spend most of my time reading:popcorn: what all of you think about this saw or that saw. Came here last year with 2 old saws (craftsman and ryobi), since becoming infected have acquired 2 Huskys, 2 Stihls, 2 Echos, 2 Homelites. Also added a real nice cant hook and 2 Fiskars. This place is going to break me:bang:. Read a few threads on log handling tools, they all seemed expensive and wasn't sure I would like what I bought, so thought I would modify something to tryout. The results for me have been fantastic:rock:. At this time I would say a hookeroon/pickeroon is handier than a cant hook, but the cant hook has been good. This is my first attempt to post a picture, hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Hopefully it works. If the pics show up let me know what you think. Thanks Tom
View attachment 217503View attachment 217504View attachment 217505

Nice job! I made one exactly how you made yours about 2 years ago, used the same type of tool even. I had 2 in the shed and made one into a hookaroon. Has held up real well and haven't had to sharpen it once.

Latest posts

Back