My new MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradSt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been wanting a big saw for a while now, and decided on a 661. One of my local dealers is a smaller place, where the owner actually does all of the work on the equipment, and knows the ins and outs of his products. Paid a fair price for it, and took it home wearing a 25" bar, and added 32" bar for milling (he was able to find a 13T wide nose one, for no good reason other than they look "better").

After running the saw for a couple tanks, I went to clean it up, and noticed a crack in boss that protects the bar oil cap. I knew there was no way I had done it. After further inspection, I found that the housing had been sanded and spray painted in this spot. I'm pretty picky about my stuff, so I was none too happy. I assumed that the dealer/Stihl would tell me "tough luck", you ran it, we can't prove you didn't do it. I watched the dealer I purchased the saw from cut the tape and remove the saw from the box, so I know it wasn't them.

Anyway, I decided to take my chances with the dealer, and see what he had to say. I showed him the saw, he looked at it for a minute, and said, "I'll replace it for you, I want you to be happy with it". I was shocked. This is exactly the reason why I'm glad I didn't beat him up on the price. I felt a little guilty, since I know he's going to have to resell my old saw at a loss, after disclosing the damage. I let him know that I would be driving out of my way to continue to visit his shop in the future. I just don't see this type of business ethic anymore, so I wanted to share my experience.

Now I have to start the break in process over, before I can get milling. I'm going to run it this weekend with a 20" bar and 8 pin rim, to buck some firewood. It should be a beast.
Stihl MS661.jpg

Excuse the dirty workbench. It is a friend's place
MS661.jpg

Don't have a pic of the actual crack, but the red line shows where it was
crack.jpg

My local dealer had a new 661 on the shelf discounted a little because that boss by the oil cap was broken off...they said it was that way when they opened the box....common problem?

Congrats on the new 661 and excellent for the dealer to just say that and they should have, however just remember Stihl has a 7 day no hassle return if not completely happy with their products.
So you dealer will not be stuck with that saw, Stihl will replace it for him especially after you describing the work and painting that was done in the cracked area.

Edit to add: Everyone is setting a 661 except me. :(

My local dealer had a new 661 on the shelf discounted a little because that boss by the oil cap was broken off...they said it was that way when they opened the box....common problem?

If I'm the dealer, I'd just get it replaced. Why would a dealer have to eat the distributor's mistake.

Congrats on the new 661 and excellent for the dealer to just say that and they should have, however just remember Stihl has a 7 day no hassle return if not completely happy with their products.
So you dealer will not be stuck with that saw, Stihl will replace it for him especially after you describing the work and painting that was done in the cracked area.

Just to clarify on that 7 day return, that's an option Stihl offers, dealers can choose to participate. In a situation like that the dealer is stuck with it. Stihl doesn't just take it back.

If I'm the dealer, I'd just get it replaced. Why would a dealer have to eat the distributor's mistake.
Just to clarify on that 7 day return, that's an option Stihl offers, dealers can choose to participate. In a situation like that the dealer is stuck with it. Stihl doesn't just take it back.
Hmm that is funny since my dealer has returned just a few items that had problems from the factory and Stihl did take it back or it could have been the area Distributor "he did not clarify, he said I sent it back to Stihl", but the few items he sent back for a replacement he did get full replacement and I know they would not lie to me about it.
I was also unaware about the optional dealer participation in the 7 day return, so anyone buying Stihl should verify their dealers do participate in the return policy before buying from them, I just know my dealer does participate in it.

Wonder of that saw was one of the recalled ones?

What would the crack have to do with the cylinder issues of the first run?
Has their been any literature from stihl on what exactly was wrong? Not I heard from my dealers grandson or my dealer heard from the rep... just seems odd they sanded and painted it that seems odd.

Most likely the dealer got Stihl to take the saw back or give him some type of break. However the good dealers (like he obviously is) take care of the customer first and then worry about settling up with the company/distributor. Rather then saying "Well I will have to talk to Stihl first and see what they say."

I had that on a new 261, it came from the US to Oz so no warranty and hasn't been an issue, nice that the dealer took it back

yeah, you are kind of getting left out,, some guys even have TWO 661's already. What is taking you so long, to get one? :)

I plan on getting a 661 too shortly . It won't be used much but it's there for felling and bucking some of the larger hard maple .

The Stihl dealer called Stihl and they told him to sell it as is..... At a reduced price. I think he sold it for 1100 if I remember correctly. The saw was spotless other than that.

I had the saw for a couple weeks, before I noticed the damage, so maybe its just not worth him arguing with Stihl about it? He said a tree service would be more than happy to pick it up at a discount.

Was able to run the saw for a while yesterday, with a 20" bar and 8 pin rim. Had some firewood that needed to be bucked, and it was more fun than using my 261. I know some say the 8 pin is actually slower than the 7, but I was running stock RS chain. Maybe if the depth gauges were lower, that would be the case, but with the 7 pin and stock chain, the motor just didn't have any load with a bar that short. This is my first M-tronic saw, and it sounds like it runs a bit rich under light load and full throttle. As soon as you apply a load, it quits 4 stroking, and smooths out. Not sure if this is because it's new and still adjusting, or it is normal operation. I can see the smaller saws getting less use now. I wouldn't want to limb with the 661, or use if for small wood all day, but for a few hours, it really isn't that bad.

Another tank or 2, and it will be ready to start milling with. Hopefully the weather warms up by then too. Have a few nice red oaks and sugar maples that have died, and are waiting to be turned into furniture. We also have more dead Ash around here, than we know what to do with. It is rotting faster than it can be cut up and turned into firewood. Figure some will make a nice work bench, with a thick top and large legs.

Latest posts

Back