My new Speeco 35 Ton via OMNI MFG...bed frames and skateboards.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groundhog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sort of new here...

I just wanted to share my experience with you all...

After a little homework searching on this site I decided to order my new splitter from Rock at OMNI Mfg.

I bought the 35 Ton model and ordered the 4 way wedge and the additional side table also. The price I got from Rock for all that was still cheaper than if I was to just buy only the splitter at TSC. Rock was great to work with and was very good at answering all my questions and concerns from my first initial phone call to the first pull on the starter!

Anyone who knows me will tell you I can never leave anything "stock"....

I thought I would post some pictures of my first 4 mods...

After running it for a couple hours I decided the side table was not big enough so I cut up some angle from an old bed frame and fired up the ol lincoln welder. I welded it to the top of the table I bought from Speeco. I extended it over the top of the Briggs to give me some more room and protect the motor from falling chunks. The end caps on the table also keep the pieces from vibrating off the ends.

3.jpg

Then I decided to put a small table on the operator side as well. Besides have a place to set a chunk, it protects the pump and filter fittings. It also makes for a higher place to lean against. The tank is below my knee and made for a bad angle when my lazy butt wanted something to lean on. Also made up from "free" bed frames found roadside...

2-1.jpg

The third mod I did, I think is a good one for anyone to do and it really helps the shaking and vibrating noise from the motor. Four longer hardened bolts and 2 sets of skateboard bushings ($6 a set) from the local skate shop. Really helps to quiet things down...

4.jpg

My 4 way got screwed up because it got caught up on the log ejector while retracting. I pounded everything back into place on the wedge and then I rounded the back side of the wings so they are forced to center if they start to rub against the ejector plates..

5.jpg

Here's to strait grains and quick pops!!

:rock:

<*)))>{

Nice work. Let us know how the 4 ways work out. I tried a 4 way on my splitter and found it put too much pressure "down" on the piece of firewood being split. The top two splits are free to fall away, but the bottom piece of wood being split is continually forced down by the 4 way, against the I-beam as the ram travels forward. Leaving no where for the splits to go. Thus putting a lot of pressure on the ram.

Allright Groundhog!! Glad someone else has posted about Rock and the Speeco's from Omni. I was starting to get a complex by spouting off about my experience!

Seriously folks, if you are looking for a splitter - look at the Speeco splitters and consider getting it from Omni Mfg. Talk to Rock and tell him I sent ya!!! :msp_thumbsup:

Rep sent to Groundhog!

The skateboard bushing mod is interesting. Not knowing anything about them, are they ureathane and fairly hard? Do you think they will hold up for a while or is it something that will need to be replaced yearly or more?

My next project is going to be a table for the splitter.... still trying to decide how I want to build it.

I like the mods. The bed rails was a good idea. I like keeping my cost down and now it's much easier to get out of bed. Thanks!

:chainsawguy::chainsawguy::chainsawguy:
The skateboard bushing mod is interesting. Not knowing anything about them, are they ureathane and fairly hard? Do you think they will hold up for a while

Yes, yes, and yes! I figure they should last at least a few years. They feel very tough, on skateboards they are usually kept under a lot more pressure that I have them tightened at on the splitter.

Thanks everyone! Glad you all like the mods! I always keep my eyes open for bed frame angle when ever I see a bunch of junk on the roadside. The stuff is very tough (spring steel) I suggest an electric chop saw to cut it. :chainsawguy:

Nice work. Let us know how the 4 ways work out. I tried a 4 way on my splitter and found it put too much pressure "down" on the piece of firewood being split. The top two splits are free to fall away, but the bottom piece of wood being split is continually forced down by the 4 way, against the I-beam as the ram travels forward. Leaving no where for the splits to go. Thus putting a lot of pressure on the ram.

I had the same question. Are the bottoms of your horizontal wings on the 4 way flat or angled? That was the exact problem I ran into with them angled, the pressure was just too much between the wings and bed.

Looks like some nice mods. One I still need to finish is mounting up a kids quad exhaust. Now the exhaust is directed at me or the motor. The quad exhaust is quiet and moves it way off up the rail.

Groundhog , I like your modifications , I was also thinking of doing something over the Hydraulic Filter area ...

How do you like the overall performance of your SpeeCo Splitter so far ???

Later,x595

John,
The wings are flat on the bottom I think, in other words, if they would get sharpened it would only be on the top side. I like the muffler idea!

x595,
This splitter has been great so far! I am sure it could split anything. It actually hardly ever gets into the second stage of the pump.

I think my next mod will be bigger wheels, the holes are already there from the factory. Has anyone else done this?

Nice modifications

You have gave me some good ideals. I too would like to know about the wheels. Sometimes the 45 MPH tires don't get it!

You have gave me some good ideals. I too would like to know about the wheels. Sometimes the 45 MPH tires don't get it!

Yep, also with bigger tires/wheels the height of the beam will be raised 2 inches or so..that will be nice however this 35t speeco is already at a nice working height. Much better than a lot of others out there..YMMV..

<*)))>{

With the lack of suspension on these things I would think even 45 MPH would be pushing the envelope. I think I'd rather just trailer it and not worry about it.

Back