My new toy (pictures)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain_man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well here she is my little baby MS 361 that was marked as an MS 390. Looks well used however has great compression and runs perfect. Kill switch wasn't engaging however that was just the wire unplugged. Plastic's need replacing and new tank. Needs new pullstart cord as this one is very short. Chain brake works perfect.

Chain lurches at idle but I believe it's just set a little to high on the carb. When I got this it was extremely dirty. Like filthy. I weighted it before cleaning and after and had nearly 1.3lbs difference of weight. Yeah that much crap caked in there.

Looks like it was tethered to the back of the truck so when it fell out they could just drag it till the next stop to put it back in.

Sorry, don't mean to insult your new toy just the previous owner. Congrats, don't forget to post pics once you have it all cleaned up. :cheers:

Man that saw has been around the block a few times, and it looks like it might have been behind the truck for one of those laps. :laugh:

J/K

Looks like a fine new toy bet it still cuts like mad good find. :clap:

Looks like it was tethered to the back of the truck so when it fell out they could just drag it till the next stop to put it back in.

Sorry, don't mean to insult your new toy just the previous owner. Congrats, don't forget to post pics once you have it all cleaned up. :cheers:

Ha, was typing when you posted. Great minds think alike. :cheers:

montain man that is still a nice saw though they take a beating mine rides on the skidder most of the time and don't look to much different.:cheers: I cleaned mine all up when i put a new tank on mine the cleaning didn't last long though.

Last edited:
They don't stay pretty when you actualy use them.

This went beyond use,

When I got this it was extremely dirty. Like filthy. I weighted it before cleaning and after and had nearly 1.3lbs difference of weight. Yeah that much crap caked in there.

Someone should call chainsaw protective services on the previous owner!

Besides the dirt it didn't look to far from normal though.

It also looks like it has different cluth cover than normal but otherwise decent. lookslike good saw to restore.

That saw looks like the one mentioned in your sig, LOL!

J/K, looks good for a find, please give her more care than the last guy.:cry:

Good for you on your new saw! As long as it runs good, who cares if it has some wear on it!!!!! Not everyone can shell out $500 for a new one 361.

Go to your local Auto-zone and pick up a product called, "Purple Power." It is an awsome cleaner/degreaser! Put duct-tape over the carb intake and exhaust, spray it down with this stuff, and hit it with a gental spray from a garden hose. I cleaned my friend saw this way and it was filthy. It was caked with crap form years of neglect, but I made it look like new. Purple Power really works GREAT!!!!

Enjoy your new saw and be safe.:)

montain man that is still a nice saw though they take a beating mine rides on the skidder most of the time and don't look to much different.:cheers: I cleaned mine all up when i put a new tank on mine the cleaning didn't last long though.

The in-laws ride a 660 in the skidder most of the time and it could be a twin to that saw (condition).

Tried to talk them into a scabbard outside the cab, but they looked at me like I was talking in Spanish.

Fred

Good for you on your new saw! As long as it runs good, who cares if it has some wear on it!!!!! Not everyone can shell out $500 for a new one 361.

Go to your local Auto-zone and pick up a product called, "Purple Power." It is an awsome cleaner/degreaser! Put duct-tape over the carb intake and exhaust, spray it down with this stuff, and hit it with a gental spray from a garden hose. I cleaned my friend saw this way and it was filthy. It was caked with crap form years of neglect, but I made it look like new. Purple Power really works GREAT!!!!

Enjoy your new saw and be safe.:)

Yep I used purple power to clean it up. I own a used RV lot here and we have to clean many many engines on the motorhomes. I love that stuff.

Thanks everyone on the kind words. It does run great and after tomorrow it'll run even better. Taking it to a buddy of mine at a local shop to tune it and make sure their isn't anything I've missed that's wrong. I'll be replacing the plastics with some that aren't cracked as well once I find decent used plastic. I'm ordering a 20" bar tomorrow since I don't cut anything bigger then that anyway. New tank soon (new used tank) and I'm also lookin for someone to muffler mod this thing. I'd do it myself but I just know with my luck I'd screw something up lol. Anyway thanks to everyone and any ideas on who could do a mod for me? Thanks

Josh

Exactly!

They don't stay pretty when you actualy use them.

This is not about use - but totally meaningless abuse - most likely from transportation..... :censored:

I agree that it isn't a real problem though, if the innards are OK.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back