my new used Stihl MS 290 wont pull.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I got this saw today, used from an Authorised dealer. While I know there are some problems with this saw being hard to start but this one wont even pull. The guy where I bought it started it right up, when I got it home tonight, I started it after maybe 4 pulls. ran it a minute or so, started to cut into a log I have just to see how it cut, the blade went in about and inch and a half and the saw just stopped running...no bog, no warning. just stopped. Now when I try and pull it to start it, its very hard to pull and it sorta feels like theres a huge build up of compression. I pull out the plug and it pulls smooth and fine.. put the plug back in and it hardly pulls. Is there something im missing?

flooding? how? lol
it was running full on and just stopped dead... does that happen? how?
should I bother or just return it and get another Husky?

So I got this saw today, used from an Authorised dealer. While I know there are some problems with this saw being hard to start but this one wont even pull. The guy where I bought it started it right up, when I got it home tonight, I started it after maybe 4 pulls. ran it a minute or so, started to cut into a log I have just to see how it cut, the blade went in about and inch and a half and the saw just stopped running...no bog, no warning. just stopped. Now when I try and pull it to start it, its very hard to pull and it sorta feels like theres a huge build up of compression. I pull out the plug and it pulls smooth and fine.. put the plug back in and it hardly pulls. Is there something im missing?

Sheered flywheel key would be my guess - had it happen many times in 021-025's. Very easy to check.

would bearings or a bad FW pin make it pull hard when the plug is in but pull easily with the spark plug out? is there some kind of compression release in this saw?
it almost seems like what ever it is that lets the exhaust out isn't working ...like a stuck exhaust valve ...

I had a 48 inch walk behind that would do this type of thing every once in awhile where you'd pull it once and it was fine, the next pull would almost rip your arm off. but at least that would still start after a couple more pulls. this saw is like something is blocking up a port that compression needs to be escaping or something.

I even had a Homelite weed wacker that every now and then youd go to pull it and the recoil would rip the pull rope out of your hand..

Now when I try and pull it to start it, its very hard to pull and it sorta feels like there's a huge build up of compression.

Hi Zacker:

I have a new MS290, and luv it ! There's probably nothing wrong with your saw. You state that you can pull the starter rope, but it pulls hard. That's normal for a 290 as it doesn't have a compression release. It takes a little getting use to pulling through all that compression. I was familiar with starting my little MS170. But the 290 is a different animal.

Pull the starter rope slowly until you feel definite compression. Then give it a good yank to start it. If you're still having a problem starting it, take it back to the dealer and he will show you how to do it.

There's also a procedure to follow for winter use. It's covered on page 34 of the owners manual. If you don't have the manual, you can download it from the Stihl website. Click here to select and download the manual. http://www.stihlusa.com/information/info_product2.html After you download it, be sure to read it TWICE!

Below is a video on how to start a Stihl chainsaw.

Hope this helps,

Don <><

[video=youtube;rfYxjGMbLv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfYxjGMbLv4&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
..If its still under warranty, which I assume it is, bring it back to them...you don't want to "guess it will be ok"

hmmmmm. something doesn't sound right. It was cutting then quit and not won't pull over. Pull the muffler off and check the piston. You might have seized it up.

Thanks guys. So I let it sit for the night and thought "i'll try it again in the morning to see if it will start, if its still messed up I'll return it tomorrow" well I went out at 6 this morning, put the choke on, put the saw on the floor, stepped on the back handle and slowly pulled it over till the rope was all the y way up, it fought me the whole time so then i let the rope rewind slowly back and tried pulling it again and it was still hard, then I though, screw it and I pulled it like I was trying to rip the rope off and the thing roared to life....lol it idled fine, reved fine so I shut it down, pulled it over again, it still pulled hard but one yank and it started... I ran out side and put it in the same cut i started last night but only for a couple seconds cause the rest of the neighborhood was still asleep...lol but it seemed ok. i will try it again tonight. Funny though, now Im confused, did it really pulll over easily when i first started it or was it always hard? im still thinking it was easy to pull that first time.

@Don.. I just watched the video, that saw looks to pull just a little easier than mine. to put it this way, if I tried to start mine while holding it between my knees, Id be talking in a really high pitch, walking funny and the saw would be in pieces on the grond after getting run over on my way to the hospital....lol

Thanks guys. So I let it sit for the night and thought "i'll try it again in the morning to see if it will start, if its still messed up I'll return it tomorrow" well I went out at 6 this morning, put the choke on, put the saw on the floor, stepped on the back handle and slowly pulled it over till the rope was all the y way up, it fought me the whole time so then i let the rope rewind slowly back and tried pulling it again and it was still hard, then I though, screw it and I pulled it like I was trying to rip the rope off and the thing roared to life....lol it idled fine, reved fine so I shut it down, pulled it over again, it still pulled hard but one yank and it started... I ran out side and put it in the same cut i started last night but only for a couple seconds cause the rest of the neighborhood was still asleep...lol but it seemed ok. i will try it again tonight. Funny though, now Im confused, did it really pulll over easily when i first started it or was it always hard? im still thinking it was easy to pull that first time.

Hi Zacker:

See. Your saw is fine. Just like I thought. I guess how hard it pulls has to do with where the piston is in its travel (all the way up, all the way down, or somewhere in between). If you have a chance, take it back to the dealer and have him explain/show how to start it. The main thing is it works ! Happy cutting ! ! !

Don <><

the only handle i am pulling on at 6am is the one on the toilet tank , i think you just need to get used to starting a saw with good compression ,good luck ,stay safe jk

thanks guys... yeah, the only other saw I ever started is my Husky 142 and a 20 some odd year old Eager Beaver..... lol The Stihl does start, maybe I wasnt anticipating that compression? I shoulda pulled it over at the place I bought it from... this way I coul dhave questioned them.

Don.. when I got the saw they showd me how to start it.. and I watched the vid and read the manual...so Im good there, it was the fact that it stalled and then the compression thing was unexpected. Like I said, I could have thought ot pulled over way easier when I first started it.. but maybe I was just really psyched to try it out...lol I dunno. I cant wait to try cutting with it again tonight. Ill probably get a "Talking to" by my neighborsas well...lol hey I moved up to the woods so I could do stuff like this so they can stuff it right? lol...

You might want to get your lingo straight if you want to hang around here. It's called a bar, not a blade. And two strokes don't have exhaust valves. Nor do they have intake valves for that matter. Well they do have reed valves, but they aren't really like a traditional four stroke valve. Good luck with your saw!

Last edited:
You might want to get your lingo straight if you want to hang around here. It's called a bar, not a blade. And two strokes don't have exhaust valves. Nor do they have intake valves for that matter. Well they do have reed valves, but they aren't really like a traditional four stroke valve. Good luck with your saw!

lol.. Ok, Bar, Not a blade, but... wouldnt the correct term in this case be "chain"? After all the chain is what actually cuts... ;)
(And whats a "two blade" anyhow?) ... Ahhh you caught that and corrected it before I coud post this....lol..
lol,lol,lol... Thanks MG!!! :msp_thumbsup:

Last edited:

No reeds on 99% of new saws for years now.

Latest posts

Back